• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU Hires Bill Moos from Washington State: Will Not Change Coaches Mid-Sesaon

This seems like a very thoughtful pick by the administration. As upset as I was (am) about last night's results, making an emotional decision in the middle of the season is not what's best for the entire program. If things are handled correctly (as it now appears is happening), we can keep the bulk of the upcoming recruiting classes intact and minimize the impact of negative energy on the team even if it turns out that we have to make a coaching change at the end of the season.

I don't want the AD firing Riley until he has a person who he thinks is a quality coached all lined up ready to come to Nebraska.

Much worse than not firing a mediocre coach is hiring a mediocre coach.

I would rather suffer through another 1.5 years of Riley's mediocrity and then hire a great coach than jettison Riley when only another mediocre coach will come here.

I would agree with that, However, that is not exactly working out well for Butch Jones, Sumlin, or Bret Bielema. So, I am really not sure how much that SEC brand can be pushed on a coach because I do not buy that the SEC is a destination coaching conference. Look at every other conference that has produced excellent coaches. The only reputable coach in the SEC that is the constant is Nick Saban (and that is just because he is not an NFL coach).

Butch Jones and Kevin Sumlin are both great at recruiting, but they aren't good at producing a great product even though they have great resources at their disposal.....

Not sure if this has been brought up, but is it possible that Rimington comes back in two years and trains under Moos until he retires before taking over?

Well, I honestly can't say that I was excited about this hire, I'll keep an open mind. Besides it's out of my control, it's done and he's a now a husker and I will support him and hope he keeps his string of impressive hires alive. I am bothered by the fact that we have a habit of giving golden parachutes to near retirees who have nothing to lose. 5 years 5+ million dollar golden parachute. If he succeeds, in 5 years, he retires a millionaire. If he fails, in five years he retires a millionaire. Either way we are looking for a new AD in roughly 5 years.

Actually we have the horses, we just dont have the coaches.

From row 10 it was obvious to me the Wisky O-line was much bigger and stronger than our D-line. We are thin along the lines...it needs to be built. That's on Cav for missing on the recruiting trail and development...but in all honesty, the misses and defections that led to NO SR's on the 2 deep along the lines is really a big issue. To that end...the O-line stepped up against tOSU...if could have been worse if TL was running for his life all night. As it was...1 sack.

I don't want the AD firing Riley until he has a person who he thinks is a quality coached all lined up ready to come to Nebraska.

Much worse than not firing a mediocre coach is hiring a mediocre coach.

I would rather suffer through another 1.5 years of Riley's mediocrity and then hire a great coach than jettison Riley when only another mediocre coach will come here.
doesnt work like that.

Here is where we started the year on the OL: SR -1 JR -4 that is a veteran OL by any standard
After injuries we are: FR- 1 SO - 1 JR - 3
Wisconsin OL: JR- 2 SO - 2 FR- 1 Not sure how they are able to beat anyone without any SRs

Nebraska OL after injury:
6'5 295- this is the guy we were worried about losing to the NFL as a FR
6'3 310
6'4 300
6'4 305
6'5 280

WI: they like tall guys & they are big on the left side but pretty standard otherwise, especially considering Knevel goes 6'9 315
6'6 329
6'6 334
6'3 307
6'7 306
6'7 306

DL: We have JR-2 and SO -1 WI has SR- 2 and JR- 1

NU
6'4 270
6'5 305
6'2 300

WI
6'3 270
6'2 348
6'4 290

From row 10 it was obvious to me the Wisky O-line was much bigger and stronger than our D-line. We are thin along the lines...it needs to be built. That's on Cav for missing on the recruiting trail and development...but in all honesty, the misses and defections that led to NO SR's on the 2 deep along the lines is really a big issue. To that end...the O-line stepped up against tOSU...if could have been worse if TL was running for his life all night. As it was...1 sack.
I think scheme and technique are more at fault for our O line issues. Calling slow developing plays does not help either. I sorta agree with the Nut that we need a stud on the line, someone you can run behind. We lack that. Wont argue there.

Here is where we started the year on the OL: SR -1 JR -4 that is a veteran OL by any standard
Wisconsin OL: JR- 2 SO - 2 FR- 1 Not sure how they are able to beat anyone without any SRs

6'3 310
6'4 300
6'4 305
6'5 280

WI: they like tall guys & they are big on the left side but pretty standard otherwise, especially considering Knevel goes 6'9 315
6'6 329
6'6 334
6'3 307
6'7 306
6'7 306

NU
6'4 270
6'5 305
6'2 300

WI
6'3 270
6'2 348
6'4 290

You must be our analytics director.:Mfclap:

I appreciate the kool-aid that is being drunk, but I just cannot see where we win more than 2 remaining games, and that is even in question.

Barring a massive overhaul to the coaching abilities of our staff, and we have no indications of that happening as demonstrated by their past, will change the outcomes.

@ Purdue - Brohm has made incredible strides in turning this program around, on the road
NW - We SHOULD win, but we always struggle with NW.
@ Minnesota - Again, we SHOULD win.
@ PSU - Will be similar to OSU, Barkley is better than Dobbins
Iowa - QB line 57.7%, 1290 yds, 15 TD 2 INT QB rtg of 149.33, not going to be fun.

6'3 310
6'4 300
6'4 305
6'5 280

6'6 329
6'6 334
6'3 307
6'7 306
6'7 306

NU
6'4 270
6'5 305
6'2 300

WI
6'3 270
6'2 348
6'4 290

Good analysis. Except weight doesn't always equate to strength and power. Most programs will have guys who weigh 300 pounds. The difference is whether the weight is fat or muscle.

I appreciate the kool-aid that is being drunk, but I just cannot see where we win more than 2 remaining games, and that is even in question.

Barring a massive overhaul to the coaching abilities of our staff, and we have no indications of that happening as demonstrated by their past, will change the outcomes.

@ Purdue - Brohm has made incredible strides in turning this program around, on the road
NW - We SHOULD win, but we always struggle with NW.
@ Minnesota - Again, we SHOULD win.
@ PSU - Will be similar to OSU, Barkley is better than Dobbins
Iowa - QB line 57.7%, 1290 yds, 15 TD 2 INT QB rtg of 149.33, not going to be fun.
So we just send a postcard with C ya next year?

Well, I honestly can't say that I was excited about this hire, I'll keep an open mind. Besides it's out of my control, it's done and he's a now a husker and I will support him and hope he keeps his string of impressive hires alive. I am bothered by the fact that we have a habit of giving golden parachutes to near retirees who have nothing to lose. 5 years 5+ million dollar golden parachute. If he succeeds, in 5 years, he retires a millionaire. If he fails, in five years he retires a millionaire. Either way we are looking for a new AD in roughly 5 years.

Salary is not a golden parachute. I'm fairly certain these kinds of contracts are necessary in college athletics to at least give the appearance of stability, which I think is a big reason they picked Moos-to bring some stability to the department and the football/basketball programs.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back