• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU defense

After watching Clemson dismantle Alabama last night, I don't want to hear that you can't play defense well against spread/modern offenses. As good as Alabama's offense is, Clemson's defense was outstanding.

I certainly hope that NU can start recruiting difference makers on D.

I agree that the bold part of your statement is important, something DONU has been missing since Randy Gregory left campus.

But the announcers also paid tribute to "scheme" last night that Brent Venables was using, although they were too ignorant to know he borrowed it from DONU.

Clemson was blitzing and then playing zone behind it, confusing poor Tua. Shades of 1996 Fiesta Bowl and the Fun and Gun being blown up by the Huskers!!
Clemson only got two picks out of that scheme, we got threeif I remember.

I say this to point out that having the same scheme several years in a row so that our guys know it forwards and backwards will make us much better on defense. Will also allow us to start doing difference making schemes like we did in the Fiesta Bowl.

GBR

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the bold part of your statement is important, something DONU has been missing since Randy Gregory left campus.

But the announcers also paid tribute to "scheme" last night that Brent Venables was using, although they were too ignorant to know he borrowed it from DONU.

Clemson was blitzing and then playing zone behind it, confusing poor Tua. Shades of 1996 Fiesta Bowl and the Fun and Gun being blown up by the Huskers!!
Clemson only got two picks out of that scheme, we got five if I remember.

I say this to point out that having the same scheme several years in a row so that our guys know it forwards and backwards will make us much better on defense. Will also allow us to start doing difference making schemes like we did in the Fiesta Bowl.

GBR
Brent Venables

The difference maker

The thing to remember though is that they still gave up nearly 450 yards, I think what most people say when they are talking about playing spread offenses is that it will not look like defenses of old. A dominant defense against the spread turns the ball over and gets stops in the red zone. This is different from what we were all used to with the defenses of old. Last night was a dominant defensive performance but at one point Alabama had more yards than Clemson by quite a bit. Coach Chin has talked about the focus of turnovers etc. it will be fun to see that come to fruition. The challenge is those turnovers came because the front four was pressuring the QB. We will need to develop more on the D-Line.

The thing to remember though is that they still gave up nearly 450 yards, I think what most people say when they are talking about playing spread offenses is that it will not look like defenses of old. A dominant defense against the spread turns the ball over and gets stops in the red zone. This is different from what we were all used to with the defenses of old. Last night was a dominant defensive performance but at one point Alabama had more yards than Clemson by quite a bit. Coach Chin has talked about the focus of turnovers etc. it will be fun to see that come to fruition. The challenge is those turnovers came because the front four was pressuring the QB. We will need to develop more on the D-Line.

Good points. We will need monthly reminders of this, year 'round, so put it on your calendar on recurrent repost, will ya? :Rockon:

(and in these beginning years, if we win by simply outscoring good opponents, I'm ok with that, too, while our d is working it's way up to DOMINANT.)

Clemson only got two picks out of that scheme, we got threeif I remember.

GBR

Kind of like Pelini, who looked looked a genius with his cover two, when he had Suh and Crick on the line; not so much after they were gone.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back