• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU 41 VT 21 from 1997 Orange Bowl

Bean

Grey Shirt
10 Year Member
Found this Sports section when I was cleaning out some boxes. NU beat Virginia Tech with Frost as the Junior QB and Benning was our RB. Benning was our 3rd string RB behind injured Ahman Green and Deangelo Evans. We finished 11-2 that season. Frost finished the game 11 of 22 passes for 136 yards and ran 9 times for 62 yards. Benning finished with 96 yards and designated most valuable player.

UPDATE: had to post image in a separate window.

Last edited:

1997 Bowl003 (640x465).jpg

I remember that game quite well; watched it on NY Eve in my newly redecorated den with my giant new 36" tube TV. We redid the woodwork to put a spot in for a TV that big! Weighed 140 lbs, and took two adult men to lift it (because of the center of gravity).

It was a harbinger of what Frost and the Huskers would do in 1997. Really dominated. Kind of like a boa constrictor. Also remember the VT QB, thought he was good, as did the NFL, but alas, he was Not For Long. A 49er draft bust.

Last edited:
I'm finally building an office in the attic above my detached two car garage and spent most of the day Saturday moving stored crap to a storage unit to facilitate the buildout. I've got several boxes of VHS tapes of old Husker games and oddly enough the tape of the Nebraska/VT Orange Bowl was in a box with a bunch of my old office stuff. I've got to find a way to transfer all of those old VHS tapes to digital.

Had a co-worker at the time that was a Tech grad and still insists that was their best team. Ever.

I Just re-watched most of this game. I am really impressed on how our OL and DL won this game for us. Even the announcers said this. One of the announcers said we probably had the best OL in the country. I look forward to this type of dominance again!

I remember that game quite well; watched it on NY Eve in my newly redecorated den with my giant new 36" tube TV. We redid the woodwork to put a spot in for a TV that big! Weighed 140 lbs, and took two adult men to lift it (because of the center of gravity).

It was a harbinger of what Frost and the Huskers would do in 1997. Really dominated. Kind of like a boa constrictor. Also remember the VT QB, thought he was good, as did the NFL, but alas, he was Not For Long. A 49er draft bust.

Jim Druckenmiller

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back