• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nolan Hakel added to the team - Michael Helman wins JUCO player of the year

I believe he is walking on here but not sure on that...
http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_061bd188-0daa-59c8-95e0-7de5b4d7e99e.html

In other news, Michael Helman originally from Lincoln Piux X, who was denied a walk-on spot to Nebraska and still after his first year only had offers from UNO and still wanted to get back to Lincoln, was named JUCO Player of the Year. He is signed and committed to Texas A&M.

Nolan's dad calls on us for business so I have followed Nolan for several years, not closely but still was aware. His mom died a couple of years ago so I can only assume he would like to play close to home so his dad can watch. I am glad this worked out for him.

I cannot understand how so many kids are denied a shot at Nebraska, even as a walk-on, only to become studs for other teams. I'd say we dropped the ball on this kid big time. Best of Luck to Michael Helman, hell, give 'em Hell Man.....

Hakel sounds like we have landed not only a local kid, but a kid who can play. Now, we just have to take that next step and WIN a damn game and series and make it to Omaha.

Last edited:

I cannot understand how so many kids are denied a shot at Nebraska, even as a walk-on, only to become studs for other teams. I'd say we dropped the ball on this kid big time. Best of Luck to Michael Helman, hell, give 'em Hell Man.....

Hakel sounds like we have landed not only a local kid, but a kid who can play. Now, we just have to take that next step and WIN a damn game and series and make it to Omaha.
I think Helman and Hoffman needed to go JUCO, but what our staff needs to do better is keep an eye on our local kids once they go JUCO. Helman was still ours for the taking after his freshman year and was dying for an offer, then the Aggies swooped in and the rest is history. We could have used his power, 17 HRs.

I think Helman and Hoffman needed to go JUCO, but what our staff needs to do better is keep an eye on our local kids once they go JUCO. Helman was still ours for the taking after his freshman year and was dying for an offer, then the Aggies swooped in and the rest is history. We could have used his power, 17 HRs.

Yep, we need to park those kids at jucos and stay in their ears....constantly. Low hanging fruit that we love to just walk right by.....

Yep, we need to park those kids at jucos and stay in their ears....constantly. Low hanging fruit that we love to just walk right by.....
The coach at Hutch loves touting SEC placements, and the coach at IWCC is not a Nebraska kid after we stole one from him and loves him some Coach Heller.

You are right, gotta stay on em'. Silva spends too much time at Perfect Game stuff, we need a more local presence. I honestly think we should hire a local baseball guy. Pay someone just to keep tabs on the kids and cultivate the relationships. Erstad has taken over the in-state recruiting but it's tough to be the HC and responsible for that.

The coach at Hutch loves touting SEC placements, and the coach at IWCC is not a Nebraska kid after we stole one from him and loves him some Coach Heller.

You are right, gotta stay on em'. Silva spends too much time at Perfect Game stuff, we need a more local presence. I honestly think we should hire a local baseball guy. Pay someone just to keep tabs on the kids and cultivate the relationships. Erstad has taken over the in-state recruiting but it's tough to be the HC and responsible for that.

Perfect game makes me roll my eyes. An indoor facility that makes robot baseball players with zero ceiling.

EDIT: Maybe I"m getting old. I googled "Perfect Game" after posting this, and realized it's not an indoor facility in Omaha. I thought there used to be one called that in Omaha that had a cult like following....

Last edited:

Perfect game makes me roll my eyes. An indoor facility that makes robot baseball players with zero ceiling.

EDIT: Maybe I"m getting old. I googled "Perfect Game" after posting this, and realized it's not an indoor facility in Omaha. I thought there used to be one called that in Omaha that had a cult like following....
I know he goes to them all over the country... but it is interesting to me that Minnesota, Iowa, Wichita State, all had "scouts" at our state baseball tournament and to my knowledge we didn't have any.

..but it is interesting to me that Minnesota, Iowa, Wichita State, all had "scouts" at our state baseball tournament and to my knowledge we didn't have any.

This baffles me.... and the Helman thing too.....

By the way, thanks for the baseball updates and insight, ***. It is much appreciated.

This baffles me.... and the Helman thing too.....

By the way, thanks for the baseball updates and insight, ***. It is much appreciated.
They could have had some guys there (i'm getting that info from a knowledgeable baseball guy tho so doubt it), but he didn't see them. Erstad is kicking in-state recruiting up a notch, we have the best two players in-state committed. One is hitting 95mph this summer as a senior to be and the other had a .47 ERA and is a lefty who went 10-0. Problem is both those guys are going MLB I would say.

The Helman thing is interesting. You think about having him, Hagge, Hoffman, Divis, bunch of guys and you have a majority of your starters from in-state. Don't get me wrong, you still need Schreibers, Millers, etc. But Nebraska is a much better baseball state than football and we are letting guys slip away. Some of that is on the B1G rules that SEC doesn't have to follow, some of that is on our coaches.

Last edited:
They could have had some guys there (i'm getting that info from a knowledgeable baseball guy tho so doubt it), but he didn't see them. Erstad is kicking in-state recruiting up a notch, we have the best two players in-state committed. One is hitting 95mph this summer as a senior to be and the other had a .47 ERA and is a lefty who went 10-0. Problem is both those guys are going MLB I would say.

The Helman thing is interesting. You think about having him, Hagge, Hoffman, Divis, bunch of guys and you have a majority of your starters from in-state. Don't get me wrong, you still need Schreibers, Millers, etc. But Nebraska is a much better baseball state than football and we are letting guys slip away. Some of that is on the B1G rules that SEC doesn't have to follow, some of that is on our coaches.

Ah... this surely illustrates just how difficult it is in college baseball.... you recruit too high caliber player, you likely lose out to the MLB.... but you have to try! ..... and then on top of that, DE has to deal with nonsense conference-imposed road blocks.... I guess the winner is the staff that is best at evaluating potential in players that aren't locks to go high in the MLB draft... (...says Captain Obvious)

Ah... this surely illustrates just how difficult it is in college baseball.... you recruit too high caliber player, you likely lose out to the MLB.... but you have to try! ..... and then on top of that, DE has to deal with nonsense conference-imposed road blocks.... I guess the winner is the staff that is best at evaluating potential in players that aren't locks to go high in the MLB draft... (...says Captain Obvious)
Yep, the knowledgeable guy I get a lot of my info from stated that Erstad basically has to out-evaluate the scouts for MLB with our B1G scholarship restrictions. That's a tall order. Staffs like Illinois hold back a scholarship every year to help themselves out with the draft so they can pick up a JUCO kid.

But our staff could help ourselves out too by keeping better tabs on kids. Not all our conferences fault. And quite honestly, Erstad was learning that on the job which is what some people had a tough time with.

Yep, the knowledgeable guy I get a lot of my info from stated that Erstad basically has to out-evaluate the scouts for MLB with our B1G scholarship restrictions. That's a tall order. Staffs like Illinois hold back a scholarship every year to help themselves out with the draft so they can pick up a JUCO kid.

But our staff could help ourselves out too by keeping better tabs on kids. Not all our conferences fault. And quite honestly, Erstad was learning that on the job which is what some people had a tough time with.

I have a feeling Erstad will get it figured out.....

I have a feeling Erstad will get it figured out.....
He definitely already does in regard to the 2018 class, no one will be able to say "our best talent is leaving the state". Golmes and Perry are studs and game changers. Problem will be that we recruit them and get the best guys but they may get drafted and not even show up. It's a dilemma i'm glad I don't have to deal with. B1G needs to figure it out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back