• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Matthew Pola-Mao will not be visiting before NSD

Here is my take on nature and nurture. I got my BA in American History, and I believe the idea of slave breeding was pretty much a myth. Slaves had families, not stud farms. There is one aspect of American slave history that impacts strength, though - the weakest slaves died on slave ships bringing them to America. Only the strongest survived; I believe that experience must have impacted the genetic makeup of African Americans. As to nurture, I know what it is like to grow up poor, and to grow up believing that your ticket out is sports. My ticket out was track, and it got me scholarship offers. Being poor can make you work harder. I think it helps you in sports if your dad was an athlete (mine wasn’t, but my grandfather was a champion boxer and soldier). It can help you in sports if you fail so miserably, and it hurts so much, that you make up your mind you will be the best or die trying (that was me). These things have nothing to do with race. I think genetic makeup counts somewhat, but you need to get competitive fire somewhere, whether it comes from family pride, a way out of poverty, or a desire to prove yourself. If you don’t get that competitive fire or “killer instinct” somewhere, your genetic makeup won’t do you any good at all.

That’s a really good post, some very good insights, well explained.

Excellent point Az, glad you made the trip out of poverty. Makes all of us stronger by having you around.

After 1808 when the slave trade was against the law in this country there were many horrible
Slave breeding did in fact exist and became prevalent after 1808 when the slave trade was illegal. There were many atrocities committed against slaves and free blacks after the slave trade was outlawed. With the popularity of the internet more and more historians are researching this horrific chapter in our nation’s history. I suggest Edward Babtist‘s book “The Half has Never Been Told” a book that is extremely well researched and one that’s changing the way African American history is being taught in colleges and universities today.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back