• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NIT chances

BGRed

Blackshirt
20 Year Member
As a team formerly as high as a 5 or 6 seed in the Big Dance, I would think our chances of the NIT are pretty solid. The win over Iowa guaranteed a record of at least an even .500.

I'm always interested in watching more hoops and maybe the team could even get a home game or two? Having said that, the benefit for our group of experienced guys would not be as great as if the women's very young team had gotten to .500 and qualified for the WNIT (a 6th place conference finish for the ladies and no postseason chances).

There is one site that has the Huskers as a #2 seed in NIT projection.
https://thebarkingcrow.com/nit-bracketology/

Heck with the NIT, just win the B1G Conference Tourney and go to the "BIG"
animated-smileys-dancing-023.gif

:Biggrin:

Last edited:

Our SOS and RPI is so good that if we rattled off 2 wins in the Big 10 tourney, we would have a shot.

I’m going to assume that we will decline any postseason play if by some chance we are even invited. No reason to with a coaching change happening.

Our SOS and RPI is so good that if we rattled off 2 wins in the Big 10 tourney, we would have a shot.

I’m going to assume that we will decline any postseason play if by some chance we are even invited. No reason to with a coaching change happening.

BS, let the kids coach themselves, they don't need Miles. They proved that yesterday when they stopped listening to Tim and started playing like a "team". I think they realized "me" ball wasn't working. Even Palmer played more as a team member. Also, "start the guys that won that game!" :Rockon:

I truly have no desire to watch a team that flopped big time this season participate in a tournament that truly means nothing. The only time the NIT is worthy is when it serves as a building block for next season. But that's simply not the case this season. New coaching staff and a bunch of new starters next season. It will be as much a fresh start as we've ever had. We truly need to blow up the joint and start over with a new foundation. Sure, I understand kids like to play basketball. Though I really do question just how motivated they will be. Heck, last season's team was quite a bit better, and as is typical under Miles, we went thud in the postseason.

As fun as Nebraska's win over Iowa was to watch, I suspect we go one and done in B1G Tourney, but I won't be completely shocked if we get a invite to the NIT as a lower seeded team and if we do, let the kids play as we still have some young guys on the team. Going to be interesting if Roby stays versus going pro. He'd essentially be the top guy if he comes back. GBR.

That’s the conundrum. If you agree to it, who coaches? Ok, it’s an assistant. What if you win a few games? Are you waiting to announce a hire until after postseason play? I’m not going to hold it against them if they want to give seniors more games, but it sounds like more trouble than it’s worth.

If Moos is making a change at HC, then a NIT bid has to be turned down. As others have said, the NIT only works for a major conference team if it's used as a stepping stone for the following season. That's not the program's situation. Just a quick search showed that Ohio State, Indiana and LSU have turned down NIT bids recently for various reasons.

If you have your coach to replace Miles determined, what's the harm in asking one of he assistant coaches to manage the team through the NIT? Just for grins, say it's Hoiberg, and you ask Lewis, Gates or Molinari if they are willing to manage the team, give someone else a look at what they can do in a HC position, and let the kids finish up their careers if they also want to continue. Hoiberg would have the luxury of seeing them play a little more, and he'd also see them playing outside of Miles influence, which might be a positive as well.

If you have your coach to replace Miles determined, what's the harm in asking one of he assistant coaches to manage the team through the NIT? Just for grins, say it's Hoiberg, and you ask Lewis, Gates or Molinari if they are willing to manage the team, give someone else a look at what they can do in a HC position, and let the kids finish up their careers if they also want to continue. Hoiberg would have the luxury of seeing them play a little more, and he'd also see them playing outside of Miles influence, which might be a positive as well.

I'm okay with that. From my personal fan perspective, doesn't really interest me. For the team, sure, I hear ya. Still not certain they'd accept the bid under this scenario.

Of course, that's applying the dream scenario. Hoiberg is hired about a week from now. Sure, he's available, so that "could" happen. Though I suppose the more likely scenario is hiring a coach who will be coaching in the postseason, and thus we may have to wait.

Last edited:

I bet those kids just want the season to end. They showed up for Iowa on senior day, but I’m guessing they just want it over with. If the team decides they do want to play, then I wouldn’t mind it. If the coach isn’t figured out already though, I just don’t think it does any good.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back