1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Nice Article on Les Miles

Discussion in 'Other Teams' started by joncarl, Feb 12, 2019.

1. joncarl

joncarl Nobody important 10 Year Member

2. OldFatHerbie

OldFatHerbie Recruit

Mark Mangino built a winner there. It was an interesting combination of some other teams in the Big 12 being down and finding a QB that absolutely fit their system. And possibly the most important part: motivation through abuse.

I think we have a blueprint.

HuskerWeatherman and Boji Husker like this.
  3. Show Me State Red

Show Me State Red Recruit

joncarl likes this.
  4. Middle-aged_Ball_Coach

Middle-aged_Ball_Coach Recruit

How bad was it? I generally hold off judgment on those sorts of stories until some time has passed, but the fact that nobody else ever wanted to hire him is pretty damning. What were some of the things that he or his staff did?

5. CrabHusker

CrabHusker Starter 5 Year Member

joncarl likes this.
  6. CrabHusker

CrabHusker Starter 5 Year Member

I went through a lot of the same stuff Mangino did to his players in High School. I didn't know any better and unless he was actually physically beating us (which happened once and ended in his firing) nobody listened to anyone's complaints. Verbal abuse was part of the deal. It was like being in a Marine boot camp. Extensive punishment in the form of pushing players to complete physical failure was not uncommon. At the time my dad said it was just a way to 'toughen' us kids up. I don't know how tough it made us, but it made us mean. We didn't have the numbers or the kind of athletes to have that style of coaching make a difference, so I can't say if it hurt or helped. It did bring the team together in that we all hated his guts with a passion. That's unity for you.

7. Show Me State Red

Show Me State Red Recruit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Mangino

He ended up coaching again but retired in 2016. Time will tell if Les Miles or any football coach at Kansas will put up better numbers than Mangino.