• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NFL draft 1st round by conference

berryhusker

Travel Squad
15 Year Member
I was curious about which conferences would have the most players drafted and was somewhat surprised by the results. This is the number per conference starting with the most:

SEC: 12
B1G: 7
PAC XII: 6
ACC: 4
Big XII: 1
Big East: 1
MAC: 1

Of course this is just the 1st round so it will be interesting to see the breakdown after the entire draft is done. Obviously the SEC stands out per usual, but I was somewhat surprised to see the ACC below the PAC. The Big 12 at 2 is pretty interesting as well, with only 1 pick. The B1G is looking pretty good thanks to OSU (3) Michigan (2) and Wisconsin (2).

Just something fun to consider. If I find time this weekend I will update with data after round 2.

Also, remember when there were several consecutive years without a RB drafted in the 1st round? There were 2 drafted in the top 10, with only 1 QB going before them. That also stands out to me compared to recent years. There were 6 D-lineman taken in the first round. Another fun fact, there were 13 offensive players drafted in the 1st round compared to 19 defensive players.

Last edited:

The Texans...AND Watson especially...hit a home run IMO. They get the best QB available when they basically didn't have one and he goes to a playoff team.

The niners played the Bears like a fiddle at the annual saps convention.

The chiefs really pooped the bed.

Definitely not worth moving up all of those picks, and whatever they gave up (a lot) to do so ... to get a QB that may well have fallen to the 2nd round. They probably reacted to a rumor that some team ahead of them was going to draft the TTU QB ... but at least half of those rumors are total smoke screens.

The Texans...AND Watson especially...hit a home run IMO. They get the best QB available when they basically didn't have one and he goes to a playoff team.

The niners played the Bears like a fiddle at the annual saps convention.
The saps at that convention would have played the Bears like a fiddle.

They could have traded down, got picks, and probably still got their guy.

Next year's probable QB class looks much stronger. I don't get why teams like KC and CHI gave up so much in this year's draft.

Next year is the year to do it, IMO.

I was curious about which conferences would have the most players drafted and was somewhat surprised by the results. This is the number per conference starting with the most:

SEC: 11
Big XII: 2

Of course this is just the 1st round so it will be interesting to see the breakdown after the entire draft is done. Obviously the SEC stands out per usual, but I was somewhat surprised to see the ACC below the PAC. The Big 12 at 2 is pretty interesting as well, but they did have the #1 overall

SEC: 11
Big XII: 2

Of course this is just the 1st round so it will be interesting to see the breakdown after the entire draft is done. Obviously the SEC stands out per usual, but I was somewhat surprised to see the ACC below the PAC. The Big 12 at 2 is pretty interesting as well, but they did have the #1 overall pick. The B1G is looking pretty good thanks to OSU (3) Michigan (2) and Wisconsin (2).

Just something fun to consider. If I find time this weekend I will update with data after round 2.

Also, remember when there were several consecutive years without a RB drafted in the 1st round? There were 2 drafted in the top 10, with only 1 QB going before them. That also stands out to me compared to recent years. There were 6 D-lineman taken in the first round. Another fun fact, there were 13 offensive players drafted in the 1st round compared to 19 defensive players.

Big XII have only one.

Next year's probable QB class looks much stronger. I don't get why teams like KC and CHI gave up so much in this year's draft.

I thought this was maybe the worst year for QB's entering the draft I've seen. Certainly, all draft picks are gambles, but this collection that went in the first round last night was the biggest gamble as a whole I've seen. I think even Deshaun Watson is far from a sure bet. Every one of them has high bust potential. (Which probably means they'll all be stars).

Last edited:

Which is why what Cleveland did was so smart (Browns and smart:eek:) Compile picks, take playmakers and worry about a QB later. Kevin Costner did a great job yesterday.

Also the fact that none of the first rounders played high school in the state of Florida was a surprise to me.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back