• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Next Season Adrian Martinez

He'll be better next year if he finds a good replacment for Morgan and if the OL is better. But he won't be going to the pros early in my opinion, not without substantial improvement in all phases of his game. I just hope he continues to improve each year, and that he doesn't get a bad injury. If he can avoid that, we will have a really good QB both his junior and senior years. Luckily, after this next year, he will have good backups ready to go without causing a drop off in the offense. You have to think, though, that excaping serious injury in the BIG while being a starting QB for four years is touch and go.

You already don't see AM making it the pro's after his first season as a true freshman? :Rolf::Rolf:
He's a mirror image of Mahomes for KC who's not doing to badly... :rolleyes:

How exactly is he a mirror image of Mahomes? AM had a great year, but is still a good dual threat QB where as Mahomes isn’t going to scare many with his feet at all.

Two totally different playing styles. He would be more like Deshaun Watson if anything.

Totally different player than Gill or Frazier. I imagine if TG played today he'd have a good shot at playing in the NFL. Tommie wouldn't. Martinez absolutely has a chance.

AM could be a more durable version of Deshaun. DW was an interception machine his junior year I believe.

If AM improves his ability to read defenses and escape pressure inside the pocket, he is exactly what the NFL is moving towards (at least a good number of teams).

He is a really good QB, just like Turner Gill or Tommie Frazier. Neither won a Heisman or went pro in football. I don’t see it for AM either. He is good enough to take us all the way though. Will the rest of the team be up to that level?

I think AM does have the skill set to play on Sundays...... we've seen less talented at the position get opportunities.

AM, imo, is the most complete QB to come into Lincoln out of HS. Given the position he was in and what he was able to do as an 18 year old is nothing short of amazing. Imagine if he would have came into a better situation....

Better situation meaning not having to experience coming in at the start of a coaching change and dealing with the purging of players loyal to an old system &/or coach. Everyone around him no learning a new system. Maybe having an experienced QB to learn a few things from rather than another freshman who already has in the back of his mind that he is going to leave if he doesn't beat him out for the starting job.

AM is a baller. I've said that plenty of times over the season. They say the biggest jump is you first season to your second. AM making that jump surely puts him in the talks of being one of the most dangerous in the nation at his position. And without a doubt within the conference.

He's not a kid who isn't confident in any part of his game forcing him to rely more on passing over running or vice versa. And he can beat teams doing either/or when healthy. NU couldn't have asked for a better kid to help get the Red Machine going again.

Why do people feel the need to proclaim AM a future Heisman winner or to the best professional QB’s? Let his career unfold naturally.

Why do people feel the need to tell other fans not to be excited about the possibilities of a kid who played pretty well as a true freshman?

His career has unfolded naturally. The kid balled out. Very few times did he showcase his youth on Saturdays. We can't say that a lot about the previous freshmens who have sat in his seat before him recently...... Armstrong, TMart, Green..........

It's not far fetched to think that an 18 year old kid who's first start was vs a high profiled old rivalry game vs CU, finishes the season accounting for 25 TDs, can grow to be a better player by the time he is 20 or 21 and eligible to be drafted to the league.

Why do people feel the need to tell other fans not to be excited about the possibilities of a kid who played pretty well as a true freshman?

His career has unfolded naturally. The kid balled out. Very few times did he showcase his youth on Saturdays. We can't say that a lot about the previous freshmens who have sat in his seat before him recently...... Armstrong, TMart, Green..........

It's not far fetched to think that an 18 year old kid who's first start was vs a high profiled old rivalry game vs CU, finishes the season accounting for 25 TDs, can grow to be a better player by the time he is 20 or 21 and eligible to be drafted to the league.
Excited is fine. Comparing an 18 year old to one of the best NFL qb’s is hyperbole. Keep it real Big Red.

That was kind of my point as well...

AM had a VERY good year for us as a true freshman, but an average season by all accounts. If he progresses physically and mentally each year, boy will we be in good shape. I'm just hesitant to compare him to someone who was always near 5,000 passing yards in college and just threw for 50 touchdowns in the NFL

Mahomes freshman year.

Passing

Passing
Year
School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Texas Tech Big 12 FR QB 7 105 185 56.8 1547 8.4 9.1 16 4 151.2

Rushing

Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Year
School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Texas Tech Big 12 FR QB 7 46 104 2.3 0 0 0 0 46 104 2.3 0

AM freshman year.

Passing

Passing
Year
Nebraska Big Ten FR QB 11 224 347 64.6 2617 7.5 7.5 17 8 139.5

Rushing

Year
Nebraska Big Ten FR QB 11 140 629 4.5 8 1 -11 -11.0 0 141 618 4.4 8

AM smoked him on yards passing by 1,100 and while his QBR was lower his completion percentage was significantly better(64.6 versus 56.8). I guess Mahomes had an average season his freshman year too. Want to use the 5000 yard baseline then wait till AM is a Junior like PM was when he went over 5k. Rushing yards there is no comparison either, AM with 500+ more yards.

C

Not even close to Mahomes.

Now if you compared AM to Lamar Jackson ... might be a more apt comparison.

Well yeah he is not close as one just finished his freshman year and the other is in his second NFL season. Compare their freshman years and it is very close with AM better in many categories.

C

Last edited:
Not even close to Mahomes.

Now if you compared AM to Lamar Jackson ... might be a more apt comparison.
The clock is already ticking on lamar Jackson...if that dude's career was a stock I'd risk everything selling it short.

Mahomes freshman year.

Passing

Passing
Year
Texas Tech Big 12 FR QB 7 105 185 56.8 1547 8.4 9.1 16 4 151.2

Rushing

Year
Texas Tech Big 12 FR QB 7 46 104 2.3 0 0 0 0 46 104 2.3 0

AM freshman year.

Passing

Passing
Year
Nebraska Big Ten FR QB 11 224 347 64.6 2617 7.5 7.5 17 8 139.5

Rushing

Year
Nebraska Big Ten FR QB 11 140 629 4.5 8 1 -11 -11.0 0 141 618 4.4 8

AM smoked him on yards passing by 1,100 and while his QBR was lower his completion percentage was significantly better(64.6 versus 56.8). I guess Mahomes had an average season his freshman year too. Want to use the 5000 yard baseline then wait till AM is a Junior like PM was when he went over 5k. Rushing yards there is no comparison either, AM with 500+ more yards.

C
Mahomes only started 4 games his freshman year so you’re not exactly comparing apples to oranges. You left out that small fact.

Mahomes avg game his freshman year:
23/41
357 yards
4 tds
1 int

Averaging that over a full season had he started game 1?
4,284 yards
42 touchdowns
6 ints

AM is SUPER talented, and I wouldn’t trade him for anyone, but let’s calm down before we start appointing him the GOAT

Last edited:

Mahomes only started 4 games his freshman year so you’re not exactly comparing apples to oranges. You left out that small fact.

23/41
357 yards
4 tds
1 int

4,284 yards
42 touchdowns
6 ints

AM is SUPER talented, and I wouldn’t trade him for anyone, but let’s calm down before we start appointing him the GOAT

I never appointed or anointed him anything, I just post stats. Pass completion percentage does not care if 4 games or 100 so it will be interesting to see if AM can maintain or improve upon his. Also using total passing yards per season to try and compare the two after just one year for AM is not comparing apples to apples. One big factor that skews that comparison is type of offense ran that is why I like to use TD/int ratio, QBR, pass completion percentage. But like I said, one season for AM is not a fair data point.

C

23/41
357 yards
4 tds
1 int

4,284 yards
42 touchdowns
6 ints

Oh No nono. he is the TOAT. :rolleyes:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back