• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

News about Nick Gates

Status
Not open for further replies.
NU fans are just like every other fan base, no better or worse. Claiming "Greatest" just makes people look like fools.

C
I guess you are entitled to your opinions. Being unhappy doesn't make you less of a fan. I have lived in this state my whole life and it lives Husker football. You have passionate fans everywhere. No fanbase likes to lose and not see teams play up to their potential

I don't think there is anything wrong with calling this what it is: Nick Gates is pussing out.

I call it exiting gracefully and with class (you should try this part), maybe not wanting to learn a new system again in college.

I am struck, though, by some folks' ability to type things in these threads that they would never be willing to say to the young man's face.

How do you figure? I mean besides the sign that says so on the stadium... :)

NU fans are just like every other fan base, no better or worse. Claiming "Greatest" just makes people look like fools.

The sellout streak is probably the best example, especially given the Callahan/Riley years. The spring game attendance is another. Call up any of the bowl execs and ask which fanbase travels the best. Did you see the Peach Bowl crowd?

I can go on and on, but if you don't think we're the best fans in college football, it should be pretty simple for you to offer up a fanbase that's better. I'll wait, but I won't hold my breath.

I guess you are entitled to your opinions. Being unhappy doesn't make you less of a fan. I have lived in this state my whole life and it lives Husker football. You have passionate fans everywhere. No fanbase likes to lose and not see teams play up to their potential

I am not sure how being unhappy has anything to do with what my point is.

C

The sellout streak is probably the best example, especially given the Callahan/Riley years. The spring game attendance is another. Call up any of the bowl execs and ask which fanbase travels the best. Did you see the Peach Bowl crowd?

I can go on and on, but if you don't think we're the best fans in college football, it should be pretty simple for you to offer up a fanbase that's better. I'll wait, but I won't hold my breath.

If others from outside say it, fine. Claiming it for yourself is pompous and arrogant.

C

Last edited:
I hate when people try to make a case for the Husker fans not being the greatest fans with these intellectually dishonest arguments. Just because we're not perfect doesn't mean we aren't better than everyone else.

We are hands down the greatest fans in college football. There really isn't a close second.

What makes us so great? (other than the sell out streak) Being serious.

What makes us so great? (other than the sell out streak) Being serious.
I listed a few things above. Probably my favorite one is the way we treat opposing fans and players.

But why do you want to discount the biggest reason?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a coincidence that not one 3* or 4* OL has shown any development in the time Gates has been here. Gates showed the physical tools and played with an edge as a FR, it's there, he just needs to be in a place to use it. I wouldn't expect him to get drafted, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a shot.

Oh, I fully agree there . . . Cav was a disaster. I just think that, whether you get what you are supposed to do or not or whether you like what you are supposed to do or not, that you give it 110% effort. I don't think Gates did that after his first year and especially last year. Maybe he was mispaced at LT, but his want-to seemed to be pretty lacking far too often. I think that will hurt him with NFL scouts when they watch his tape.

I think he'll probably get a shot, but it will be late rounds or UFA route. I hope he does well . . . I don't want him to fail. I just think his heart and head weren't in it with the previous staff.

It's not arrogance if you can back it up.

giphy.gif

C

Probably my favorite one is the way we treat opposing fans and players.

And that's why Bobby Bowden called us the greatest fans, not because S.P. put it on the stadium. The name still applies because of the way other fans are treated when they're here.

One bright side to this ... with Gates and Lee (possibly Morgan) declaring ... NU's NFL draft streak might stay intact. Chris Jones is certainly a possibility and both Lee and Gates are long shots to get drafted but both are now very high on the "draft-able" rankings for the Huskers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back