• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Newcomer Highlights

My favorite part of Copeland's game is how he catches and shoots. So many players are plagued with the overpowering desire to give it that one bounce as soon as they catch the ball. Copeland was taught well.

The only disappointment with Costello is he doesn't look like that 3 point sniper I keep dreaming we'll stumble into.

i don't want to turn this negative...not my intention, but what the heck did they turn Gill into at NU? watching his highlights and the flow to his game, he didn't show any of those tools during his brief stint. I'd commented a couple times early in the season that Gill looked completely lost out there and I didn't fault him at all. Watching the sheer athletic ability displayed in the highlight video, i'm once again not surprised that another talented guard got lost trying to figure out where he belonged in the offensive mystery of Tim Miles.

i don't want to turn this negative...not my intention, but what the heck did they turn Gill into at NU? watching his highlights and the flow to his game, he didn't show any of those tools during his brief stint. I'd commented a couple times early in the season that Gill looked completely lost out there and I didn't fault him at all. Watching the sheer athletic ability displayed in the highlight video, i'm once again not surprised that another talented guard got lost trying to figure out where he belonged in the offensive mystery of Tim Miles.

Before piling on the 'it has to be Miles poor coaching' bandwagon, you might want to see what he did under a Hall of Fame coach in Rick Pitino.

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...nsfer-louisville-basketball-program/70688884/

Before piling on the 'it has to be Miles poor coaching' bandwagon, you might want to see what he did under a Hall of Fame coach in Rick Pitino.

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...nsfer-louisville-basketball-program/70688884/
i've been pointing out deficiencies in Miles coaching since 2012 so I've already got a seat on the bandwagon. but your point is well made. perhaps this year, if he is given a bigger role, his natural talent will follow suit. He spent a lot of time last year deferring to the other guards, and sometimes all it takes is a coach saying "ok, its your turn now" for the lights to come on.

He doesn't have the look. I don't see the stroke, but weirder things have happened.
i agree. athletically, he'll be a step behind most at this next level but if he can become a catch and shoot guy, who knows. He's got spunk and looks like the type of guy who understands that its gonna take more then his god given talent to succeed. it would be nice to have a local kid succeed at NU.

i've been pointing out deficiencies in Miles coaching since 2012 so I've already got a seat on the bandwagon. but your point is well made. perhaps this year, if he is given a bigger role, his natural talent will follow suit. He spent a lot of time last year deferring to the other guards, and sometimes all it takes is a coach saying "ok, its your turn now" for the lights to come on.

My point is your continued efforts to make all things negative a byproduct of Miles ignores the fact Gill has looked lost since entering college. Pitino would be a better target for blame since he was the first to have him in a system following a very impressive prep career.

i agree. athletically, he'll be a step behind most at this next level but if he can become a catch and shoot guy, who knows. He's got spunk and looks like the type of guy who understands that its gonna take more then his god given talent to succeed. it would be nice to have a local kid succeed at NU.

A local doing fine it's a plus, and there have been locals that could have helped but chose another path. What I just can't understand is how we fail to find a guy who can confidently stroke the 3 when we need to open up the court. Part of that is because of the offense. When you run the type of motion that requires a certain type of athlete you can't just plug in a Wragge type player, or McV for that matter.

The only 3s I've seen taken in this offense, that really appeared a normal part of a player's game, were a couple by Horne, and then some top of the key stuff by Webster and Watson, but none of those guys could be counted on to shoot at an acceptable percentage. McV needs space to be effective, as do most designated snipers. That means we'd have to run an offense with a little more structure and plays designed to create that space, screens, double screens, force some switches you can really exploit. We don't do this. Our answer for getting a look at a 3 is slash to the basket and when all else fails, fling a kick out pass and hope someone is there to catch it. Even then most defenses have time to recover.

My problem with Miles is his failure to recognize he needs a better Xs and Os man as an assistant. Recruiting is up, but we need the product on the court to ratchet it up to match that recruiting.

Last edited:
My point is your continued efforts to make all things negative a byproduct of Miles ignores the fact Gill has looked lost since entering college. Pitino would be a better target for blame since he was the first to have him in a system following a very impressive prep career.
i got your point and agreed with it. it was a point well made, and i said so. Therefore, Gill looking lost last year may not be proof that what Miles wants guys to do on offense is clear to some and a mystery to others. perhaps Gill is the type of player that just needs to be given the green light for his talents to shine through. So i'll chalk it up as one of those things that make me go hmmmm.....

A local doing fine it's a plus, and there have been locals that could have helped but chose another path. What I just can't understand is how we fail to find a guy who can confidently stroke the 3 when we need to open up the court. Part of that is because of the offense. When you run the type of motion that requires a certain type of athlete you can't just plug in a Wragge type player, or McV for that matter.

The only 3s I've seen taken in this offense, that really appeared a normal part of a player's game, were a couple by Horne, and then some top of the key stuff by Webster and Watson, but none of those guys could be counted on to shoot at an acceptable percentage. McV needs space to be effective, as do most designated snipers. That means we'd have to run an offense with a little more structure and plays designed to create that space, screens, double screens, force some switches you can really exploit. We don't do this. Our answer for getting a look at a 3 is slash to the basket and when all else fails, fling a kick out pass and hope someone is there to catch it. Even then most defenses have time to recover.

My problem with Miles is his failure to recognize he needs a better Xs and Os man as an assistant. Recruiting is up, but we need the product on the court to ratchet it up to match that recruiting.

you asked a great question and then answered it. NU has guys that can shoot. What we don't have is shooters who get great open shots. Steph curry is a great example of a guy who CAN shoot, and a guy who can CREATE his own shot. If Steph wants to dribble up the court at full speed and take a pull up 3, 6ft behind he line, he can. anytime he wants. and he'll make a good percentage. JackMcVeigh, not so much. AW3, nope. NU ran an offense that needs S.Curry and Clay Thompson, but with Tai and Watson. Wats can hit a pullup 3 but not at the clip one would need to be successful. So you've got guys like Jack struggling cause they depend on teammates to create open shots for them, but those teammates were all busy creating shots for themselves. Guys who can shoot but can't create aren't gonna be happy playing in an offense that doesn't value floor spacing and structure. I don't think its any mystery why AW3 and J.Horne left. perhaps they had their own reasons, but Miles offensive chaos would be a good enough reason for any spot shooter to leave, IMO.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back