• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked New Recruiting Department-DVD promoted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Red Shrine

Elite Poster
5 Year Member
Not sure I read quite as much into it as Hail Varsity, but interesting comments from Riley nonetheless. I'm all for adding to the recruiting efforts, and MR appears to be looking for continuous improvement in every facet.

Adding more staff to recruiting sounds like a great idea. It is the lifeblood of major college football and it is inherently harder at DONU than at many of the schools we are looking to compete with on a year in year out basis.

Extremely important for our future and those positions do not count against the NCAA laws. I see where Harbaugh hired an ex NFL coach to a secondary position waiting for the 10th coaching position to be approved.

On the surface it sounds like a good idea, albeit expensive. Sharp & Benning talked about it a bit with B. Christopherson this morning.

They have also changed their grading system to improve going after specific recruits. It appears the ship is sailing in the right direction.

The thing that impresses me most is that this crew seems to be willing to try anything to get an edge. I think the worries about MR being too old and stuck in his ways should be melting away. 3 reasons.
1. not getting it done yur gone.
2. Bring in a former NFL GM to help manage the day to day of the program. This leaves him and coaches free to coach.
3. Now since we have to work harder at recruiting. Let's create a whole recruiting dept.

Putting us on the leading edge of how to run a program.

Love the creativity of this idea. We will soon have the B1G money, so its affordable. I love the extra effort and creativity SE, Devaney, Riley and the rest of the staff are showing. Better results may not be instantaneous, but odds are there will be positive results.

$$$ will never be a stumbling block in Lincoln. It's a non-factor as long as things are moving in the right direction. If they aren't moving in the right direction, money still won't be a problem!

Whatever is effective they need to pay for. Football is the golden goose.

One little unrelated quibble with the article: at the bottom it has a quote by Mike Riley, then a link to their own story right after the Iowa game.

"People would say we won the games we should win. The games we have to win to take the next step, we did not. We have a lot of work to do."

That's not some deep insight HailVarsity was the first to have, so linking their story is silly. There is news value in Riley saying it now, though. Another example of his candor, emotional security, and realism. That's not all it takes to be successful at something, but they usually help your chances a lot.

Last edited:

Adam Carriker talked about it in his chronicles this morning which got me to thinking more about this. After reading the HV article the other day, I truly thought we already had a recruiting department. I know Ryan Gunderson was the director of player personnel which meant he was in charge of roster management and overseeing the recruiting and evaluation process, including maintaining a recruiting database, developing communication plans with prospective student-athletes, managing social media and assisting coaches with recruiting efforts for the football program. So is this going to become bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back