• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Never too early to ask. Will this be Doc's last year?

Is this Docs last year?

• Yes (and I agree with that dcision)

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Yes (but I think he needs more time)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (and I agree with that decision)

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • No (but he should be gone)

Votes: 13 37.1%

• Total voters
All it takes is the right coach to GET a tradition started. NU COULD get a good coach to come here if they wanted to pay for it. PERIOD!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

No, what I'm saying is exactly what I said. Creighton benefited greatly from the coaching change. McDermott would have never ended up at Creighton if his father wasn't coaching there. Without McDermott, Creighton is a very mediocre team. I don't understand why that is so hard to comprehend.
I agree. If you want Danny Manny to play for you, hire his dad as your coach. If you want McD Jr to play for you, hire McD Sr.

All it takes is the right coach to create a tradition started. NU COULD get a good coach to come here if they wanted to pay for it. PERIOD!!!
I agree.

The KU football hire gives me hope for the NU basketball hire.

All it takes is the right coach to create a tradition started. NU COULD get a good coach to come here if they wanted to pay for it. PERIOD!!!

I would say NU needs to hire someone who will "buy" into the NU program, fanbase, and never want to leave. What was Wisconsin's history before Bo Ryan? Heck Pitt wasn't anything to get excited about before Jamie Dixon. It's happened before, at other schools.

why not hire Danny Nee back? I'm sure he's learned the lessons from his first tenure and will apply them accordingly here and now. He has expressed desire to return.

No, what I'm saying is exactly what I said. Creighton benefited greatly from the coaching change. McDermott would have never ended up at Creighton if his father wasn't coaching there. Without McDermott, Creighton is a very mediocre team. I don't understand why that is so hard to comprehend.

I understand what you are saying. And NU is 2-6 without Bo Spencer. And Green Bay is something less than 13-0 without Rogers. And on and on and on...

I agree. If you want Danny Manny to play for you, hire his dad as your coach. If you want McD Jr to play for you, hire McD Sr.

I agree.

The KU football hire gives me hope for the NU basketball hire.

So CU hired Greg McDermott to get Doug McDermott. Do you know how stupid that is? It's not the case whatsoever. Rasmussen decided on McDermott before Altman hung up the phone. I'm going to guess that a) Raz hardly knew who Doug was and b) didn't have any idea how good he'd be. NOBODY, including Doug's dad knew he'd be this good or he would have wanted him at ISU. CU's good fortune was that Jacobson at UNI was kind enough to let Doug out of his LOI so he could play for his old man.

I would say NU needs to hire someone who will "buy" into the NU program, fanbase, and never want to leave. What was Wisconsin's history before Bo Ryan? Heck Pitt wasn't anything to get excited about before Jamie Dixon. It's happened before, at other schools.

For what it's worth...I think Doc "buys in" and wants to stay forever. Why wouldn't he? He can suck and get paid what?...$800K/yr.? Works for me!

The same guy that hired Jamie Dixon hired Doc Sadler.

Ironic?

why not hire Danny Nee back? I'm sure he's learned the lessons from his first tenure and will apply them accordingly here and now. He has expressed desire to return.

Danny is old, out of the game (as far as I know) and there's just too much water under the bridge. There are so many more better options.

For what it's worth...I think Doc "buys in" and wants to stay forever. Why wouldn't he? He can suck and get paid what?...$800K/yr.? Works for me!

Oh, I'm sure Doc just loves the NU bball culture. He wins, and he's great. He loses and only a handful of people care. Either way, he's getting paid a very good salary (for his level of success), and has pretty decent job security. Plus, it football is any indication, TO isn't going to just flat out fire Doc. He'll help him land on his feet somewhere.

With that said, I was speaking toward hiring someone who won't leave NU if/when he leads them to success. I don't know all of Bo Ryan's past, or Dixon's for that matter, but I'd have to imagine that a guy like Ryan has had bigger and better offers. It can't be easy winning like he has at Wisconsin, but he's stayed, and has created a solid program. That's what NU needs. There's no point in hiring someone who sees himself coaching someplace else down the road.

Oh, I'm sure Doc just loves the NU bball culture. He wins, and he's great. He loses and only a handful of people care. Either way, he's getting paid a very good salary (for his level of success), and has pretty decent job security. Plus, it football is any indication, TO isn't going to just flat out fire Doc. He'll help him land on his feet somewhere.

With that said, I was speaking toward hiring someone who won't leave NU if/when he leads them to success. I don't know all of Bo Ryan's past, or Dixon's for that matter, but I'd have to imagine that a guy like Ryan has had bigger and better offers. It can't be easy winning like he has at Wisconsin, but he's stayed, and has created a solid program. That's what NU needs. There's no point in hiring someone who sees himself coaching someplace else down the road.

If I was hiring I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on a coach that says he'll stay for the long haul.

1. Few can really say that with 100% clarity when they are taking a new job. It's impossible to know what the future holds. If North Carolina or Kentucky come calling that's hard to turn down (and IF they did it will have been worth getting jilted for!)

2. I wouldn't want to lose out on potential coaches that were possibly scared off by the "You promise to love me forever, right?" line.

Hire the best guy possible and let the future chips fall where they may. NU doesn't have enough (any) guys with past ties to NU that would make NU their CURRENT dream/destination job. For now it's going to be someone "on the way up".

GET TICKETS

Back