• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Never too early to ask. Will this be Doc's last year?

Is this Docs last year?

• Yes (and I agree with that dcision)

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Yes (but I think he needs more time)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (and I agree with that decision)

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • No (but he should be gone)

Votes: 13 37.1%

• Total voters
This will be Doc's last season. There is no way he will survive the brutal Big 10 basketball schedule with a winning season. Doc is a good guy and a good x and o coach, but just not good enough at recruiting to coach at this level.

I have supported Doc because he seems to be a charismatic good guy. I think he is a decent coach as well. I don't believe he should get another poor season though. TO is the decision maker and I would bet he will keep him on one season past this one. If this team doesn't respond it would be nice to start in the new arena with a new coaching staff.

Last edited:
I hope Doc stays a lot longer. Nebraska is a dead zone for basketball. There isn't a kid out there with a future in college basketball that started out dreaming of playing for us. It's Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, etc. Any coach that's worth hiring is going to need a lot more time to make a winner here. Thank God TO is the decision maker.

I hope Doc stays a lot longer. Nebraska is a dead zone for basketball. There isn't a kid out there with a future in college basketball that started out dreaming of playing for us. It's Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, etc. Any coach that's worth hiring is going to need a lot more time to make a winner here. Thank God TO is the decision maker.
Any coach worth a damn could turn NU into a basketball power....how come Xavier, VCU, Butler, Gonzaga and others can do it and have nothing on us what so ever. when first year D1 team has more talent than a 6th year program you have REAL problems. TO is not a basketball man imo.

Any coach worth a damn could turn NU into a basketball power....how come Xavier, VCU, Butler, Gonzaga and others can do it and have nothing on us what so ever. when first year D1 team has more talent than a 6th year program you have REAL problems. TO is not a basketball man imo.
Yes, they DO have something on us. Not one of them is a football school in the middle of nowhere. Every one of those schools has had more basketball tradition than Nebraska. You can bitc* and moan all you want about Doc but he's the best we've had here and don't kid yourself, NO big name coaches are banging on the door to try their hand. The word on Nebraska basketball is that it's a place that will take a monumental effort to erect and it doesn't help when so-called fans are constantly clamoring for a change.

Yes, they DO have something on us. Not one of them is a football school in the middle of nowhere. Every one of those schools has had more basketball tradition than Nebraska. You can bitc* and moan all you want about Doc but he's the best we've had here and don't kid yourself, NO big name coaches are banging on the door to try their hand. The word on Nebraska basketball is that it's a place that will take a monumental effort to erect and it doesn't help when so-called fans are constantly clamoring for a change.

we're not in the middle of nowhere...we're in the middle of husker country.:nod:

Quite right!

For years under many a coach, we brought in basketball recruits and showed them all the nice things in the football program. We really ahd nothing of substance to show a commitment to basketball. A lot of basketball recruits recognized that we weren't very commited to basketball, everthing nice went to football.

Doc pushed for all the nice things that we're finally getting. Fortunately, he had the right AD in TO who recognized exactly what he was talking about.

There's been a lot of talk about the practice facility.....none of it does justice to actually seeing it, being in it. We have a new arena coming. Our best chances to succeed are coming soon.....and Doc has had a lot to do with getting the right people to recognize these things were needed if we wanted to appear serious about upgrading our program.

We don't have a natural recruiting base as many other schools do, so we need a little something extra.

Unless everything totally collapses, Doc deserves to be able to take advantage of the practice facility as a recruiting tool. The new arena as well.

The best we've had here? Really?

Do we need to list other football schools that have had significantly greater success than Nebraska in hoops? I can see multiple such schools in the Big Ten currently.

Your entire post is making excuses for mediocrity... basically stating "this is as good as it's going to get." And that's what makes a great fan?

Last edited:
Unless everything totally collapses, Doc deserves to be able to take advantage of the practice facility as a recruiting tool. The new arena as well.
Amen fRED. Doc deserves patience even if it takes twice as long. I firmly believe there are only a handfull of coaches that could come in here and win within the first couple years and they coach top of the line basketball schools. On top of that, they'd get players just because of their names.
That type coach won't come here. Doc can do it. Fans just have to learn to be fans.

The best we've had here? Really?

Do we need to list other football schools that have had significantly greater success than Nebraska in hoops? I can see multiple such schools in the Big Ten currently.

Your entire post is making excuses for mediocrity... basically stating "this is as good as it's going to get." And that's what makes a great fan?

Screw the rest of the football schools. We're talking about fielding a team here in Nebraska. You think negativity is a characteristic of a good fan? I'm going to quit this thread right there Weatherman as your mediocrity comment ticked me off. Mediocrity? I've got a weatherman talking to me about mediocrity? HA!!

I think Doc's job is safe because of the economy. What up and comer would want to up and come here anyway? It would help if a new guy could get the fans fired up, I just don't see it and I don't see anyone wanting to start a bidding war on a known winner even if we could get one interested. It seems the time and effort would be better spent on recruiting. A complete bust of a season could change things I suppose;...losing money on basketball is not good for the coach.

Top Mid-major coaches:
Jim Larranaga-George Mason
Chris Mooney-Richmond
Stew Morrill-Utah State....one to look over good.
Steve Fisher-San Diego State...another older guy who could reenergize a program in a hurry.
Randy Bennett-St. Mary's
Mark Few- Gonzaga
Dave Rose-BYU
Blaine Taylor-Old Dominion
Shaka Smart-VCU
Brad Stevens-Butler

Morrill and Fisher the ones we could most likely get....33 year old Shaka Smart the one I'd most want. (And not just because I like Maxwell Smart.)

Kind of like the advantage Creighton has 60 miles away.

Creighton is really no better than us. Their fans think so, but they play in a lower tier conference where it's much, much easier to have a special year once in a while. That's a very simplistic view. Their fans don't care that they're beating lower level teams, or don't recognize the difference. They'd be eaten alive in the Big XII or Big Ten week in and week out.

GET TICKETS

Back