• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Netflix Documentary: Wild Wild Country

Rainbow Dash

Task Force One...This is Eagle Eye
5 Year Member
It’s a six-part documentary series about the Rajneesh cult which, in 1981, purchased tens of thousands of acres in Oregon to build a utopian city. Its presence sparked conflict with the locals, multiple lawsuits, a federal investigation, attempted murder and the largest bio-terrorism attack in U.S. history.

This was before my time, but how did I never hear about this before? Wow! It’s just so surreal. It’s really long, like 6 one-hour episodes. Thousands of hippies get roped into the cult and they start bussing I’m homeless people from all over the country. Just wow! I highly recommend this documentary if you are into that type of stuff.

I enjoyed real life stories, NetFlix non-fiction documentary stories.

Last year, I watched Wings of Hope (NetFlix). Made-for-TV documentary directed by Werner Herzog. The 1998 film explores and re-enact story of lone survivor ... 17 years old Juliane Koepcke. In the film, she visit the scenes of her doomed flight and escape from the jungle. BTW, she was unable to contact Koepcke for many years, since she shied away from any media coverage until 1998.

see Wings of Hope documentary (youtube link)

In 1971, LANSA Flight 508 commercial airliner in the middle of Amazon rain forest jungle was struck by lightning during a severe thunderstorm and broke up in mid-air. 21,000 feet altitude. 91 died including Julia' mother who had been seated next to her.

(some wiki source). Julia fell to earth still strapped into her seat. The reason for Koepcke surviving her free-fall is unknown; however some have speculated that the row of seats she was strapped to played a crucial role by rotating like a helicopter, slowing her descent. The row may also have helped by cushioning her fall as it struck the dense forest on her way down. The cushion of her seat may have also played a small role.

Over the next 19 hours, Koepcke found herself falling in and out of consciousness. At some point she managed to regain her consciousness, perhaps because of the heavy rainfall. She was wearing only a sleeveless mini-dress, and lacked her spectacles and lost one of her sandals. Her injuries from the fall included a broken collar bone, a torn ACL, a strained vertebra in her neck, a partially fractured shin, several deep gash on her arms and legs, and one eye was swollen shut due to popped capillaries as a result of rapid decompression of the aircraft. Also lots of mosquito bites.

Middle of nowhere, no roads, no civilization people anywhere. Even no tribes. She was all alone.

Her 10-days ensuing struggle to survive in the jungle was as dangerous, if not more so, than the destruction of the aircraft and her free-fall. It took her half a day to regain her ability to stand without feeling dizzy. After regaining her ability to stand and then her ability to walk, despite her legs injuries, she spent her first day in the jungle searching for her mother, Maria Koepcke. During her search she found a bag of candy, which was her only food source during her entire ordeal. After searching for her mother for a whole day, she decided to abandon her search and find rescue.

Having learned survival skills from her father, she decided to follow a creek downstream path and hopefully merge with larger stream thus maybe find civilization village. She was aware dangerous snakes, crocodiles, piranha fish and stingrays but not scared. Having lost her spectacles in addition to the eye injury, her vision was doubly hindered. Nevertheless, she continued to 10-days travel in the knee-high water as well as on the creek steep banks.

She came across three passengers still strapped to their seats who had landed head-first into the ground. She said of the encounter:

"I couldn't really see that much, only people's feet pointing up. I poked their feet with a stick. I couldn't touch the dead bodies. I couldn't smell anything and they hadn't been eaten yet or started to decay. I mean, sure, decay must have started, but I couldn't notice it. I could tell it was a woman because she had polished toenails and the others must have been two men, judging by their pants and shoes. I moved on after a while, but in the first moment after finding them, it was like I was paralyzed."​

After several days of following the creek, several of her wounds became infected, one of the larger ones becoming infested with maggots. She tried to remove maggots but unsuccessful.

On the tenth day of her ordeal she finally came across a boat. She managed to crawl up a path next to the boat, and she came across a small hut that was being used by lumbermen. Although the hut was empty at the time, she found an outboard motor and some fuel. She used a tube she found to suck out some of the fuel from the barrel and she attempted to remove the maggots by applying the diesel fuel on her wound. She reported the maggots initially tried to burrow deeper into her arm, but eventually came to the surface, and she was able to successfully pick them out.

She had been in the hut for some time, she heard voices nearby. As the voices grew nearer she saw three lumbermen come out of the forest. After caring for her for a short time, the lumbermen took her on a seven-hour boat ride to a lumber village.

Once she arrived at the village, a local bush plane pilot volunteered to fly her to a nearby clinic run by Catholic missionary. The flight took about fifteen minutes and a day after arriving at the hospital, Koepcke saw her father again.

Ten times more bravery and courage than me. Get busy living, or get busy dying. In documentary (1998), her voice was completely normal .... no exciting mood, calm, no tears, no feeling sorry to her.

Believe it or not, fully recovered injuries. Still alive today.

Another movie based on Juliane Koepcke aircraft crash event, Miracles Still Happen ... low budget and b-movie. Somewhat real.

see Miracles Still Happen (youtube link)

Juliane Koepcke - 1998 documentary story. (herself)

Julia Koepcke just before airplane crash (circa 1970)
mig

1975 "Miracles Still Happen" ... low budget and b-movie. I watched it via online web. Somewhat accurate.
2-215.jpg

Last edited:
It’s a six-part documentary series about the Rajneesh cult which, in 1981, purchased tens of thousands of acres in Oregon to build a utopian city. Its presence sparked conflict with the locals, multiple lawsuits, a federal investigation, attempted murder and the largest bio-terrorism attack in U.S. history.

This was before my time, but how did I never hear about this before? Wow! It’s just so surreal. It’s really long, like 6 one-hour episodes. Thousands of hippies get roped into the cult and they start bussing I’m homeless people from all over the country. Just wow! I highly recommend this documentary if you are into that type of stuff.

Half way through S1 E1. Bhagwan was more extreme than Jim Jones. Charles Manson brother? Cousins with Bin Laden?

I never paid attention with Bhagwan news. Don't spoil it !

Last edited:
Half way through S1 E1. Bhagwan was more extreme than Jim Jones. Charles Manson son? Cousins with Bin Laden?

I like your documentary you watched, I like survival stories, I’ll have to watch it sometime.

The footage of Wild Wild Country is insane. Everything is on video, crazy footage the deeper you go. Those people in his cult being interviewed are still true believers. Haha

Half way through S1 E1. Bhagwan was more extreme than Jim Jones. Charles Manson son? Cousins with Bin Laden?

I like your documentary you watched, I like survival stories, I’ll have to watch it sometime.

The footage of Wild Wild Country is insane. Everything is on video, crazy footage the deeper you go. Those people in his cult being interviewed are still true believers. Haha

Now I'm half way through part 3. I changed my mind .... disregard Jones, Manson & Bin Laden. Bhagwan becomes a rock star. Or Jimmy Swaggart type. 20 Rolls Royce :eek: ??

You're right, Wild Wild Country is insane. Bhagwan and his evil secretary. Never heard of this guy until WW Country series.

Last edited:
All done.

I take my hat off ... again. Really nailed it.

Also, I liked SOA, Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels, Walking Dead and Better Call Saul series.

That is why I tuned in NetFlix channel most of the time, like 95%. Plus no damn commercials !! And I never watched Big 4 channels in prime time (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) .... all shows are crappy.

Last edited:
All done.

On NetFlix documentaries, I take my hat off ... again. Really nailed it.

Also, I liked SOA, Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels, Walking Dead and Better Call Saul series.

That is why I tuned in NetFlix channel most of the time, like 95%. Plus no damn commercials !! And I never watched Big 4 channels in prime time (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) .... all shows are crappy.

I couldn’t believe how much footage they had at the compound. The bussing in of the homeless people was crazy!

That lawyer who was still a true believer made me so mad! Also, you’re right, Sheela was/is a badass and a evil person.

Did not explain man or woman or group who was responsible for dirty works ....... i.e. salmonella spread, ranch lab persons, etc. Caught? Probably not.

Bussing homeless people, clever idea Sheela ! Kinda like stuffing ballot box.

Ranch compound=Rajneeshpuram community.
Within three years, the Rajneesh's cult followers developed a community, turning the ranch from an empty rural property into a city of up to 7,000 people, complete with typical urban infrastructure such as a fire department, police, restaurants, malls, townhouses, a 4,200-foot airstrip, a public transport system using buses, a sewage reclamation plant and a reservoir.

BTW, I thought Ranch compound and Antelope/Rajneesh town was less than one mile apart. Actually according to google map, at least 20 miles away.

Last edited:
Has anyone else felt like Netflix movies/documentaries has maybe been a little thin lately? Very rare decent movies/documentaries this past year. Perhaps movie companies are starting to raise their prices on Netflix.

Anyway, I was searching for Battle for Sevastopol Netflix movie (true story) for the second time. I watched it about 6 month ago via Netflix but now, not listed. Ugh !! Good film .... better than Saving Private Ryan IMO.

Oh well, I tried Battle for Sevastopol online movie but no luck. Only found trailer and/or review .....

Granted, lacking of Hollywood special effects but I loved it .... again true story. Based on Lyudmila Pavlichenko (LINK).

BTW, Don't mess with Ruskies !!! Past history ..... Hitler and Napoléon Bonaparte

I watched the series a while back. It was really good and I too hadn't heard about it, but my dad had.

It's interesting because it really put your true belief in the constitution to the test. Meaning...these guys legally bought and had the right to live there. They were weird and would have raised eyebrows and concerns had they done this in the most hippy liberal parts of hte country but to do so in rural Idaho is mixing oil and water. I grew up in rural Nebraska and I know they would hate for a group like this to move in even if they were 20 miles from the nearest town. It was destined to fail from the start...it was just a matter of how.

This was just escalation after escalation with both sides thinking they were in the right for their own part of it. It's like if you're at a bar and a guy looks at your girl and you threaten him and then he punches you and then you beat the crap out of him and then his friend kill you. I know many see this as purely the cult's fault, but what had they really done before the other bombed their hotel? I think the violence or threat of violence was started by the locals...intimidating them with guns and shooting around their property...if I remember correctly. Does that give the cult a right to poison people...no.

That all said, I completely understand not wanting something as weird as this happening where you live. I don't like being on a train/bus and having some weirdo doing crazy stuff by me even if he's not violating any laws...but at least that will stop at some point. Not so in these peoples' situation.

The 20 Rolls Royces was just a bad PR move.
The lady was a fighter and took it too far with the poison.
The lawyer I think is a good guy that means well
The homeless was a means to an end...a pawn for the most part - The cult may not have realized what % of homeless people are crazy... so maybe they didn't intend them to be complete pawns until they found out. Meaning, they still wanted their votes, but also had true intentions of letting them stay and be a part of their society.

Basically these people didn't do enough due diligence on their real estate location purchase. :)

Last edited:
I also thought a big part of what made this series so good was that that many of the main players in the story participated. It was cool to see them back then and then now talking about it all.

I watched the series a while back. It was really good and I too hadn't heard about it, but my dad had.

It's interesting because it really put your true belief in the constitution to the test. Meaning...these guys legally bought and had the right to live there. They were weird and would have raised eyebrows and concerns had they done this in the most hippy liberal parts of hte country but to do so in rural Idaho is mixing oil and water. I grew up in rural Nebraska and I know they would hate for a group like this to move in even if they were 20 miles from the nearest town. It was destined to fail from the start...it was just a matter of how.

This was just escalation after escalation with both sides thinking they were in the right for their own part of it. It's like if you're at a bar and a guy looks at your girl and you threaten him and then he punches you and then you beat the crap out of him and then his friend kill you. I know many see this as purely the cult's fault, but what had they really done before the other bombed their hotel? I think the violence or threat of violence was by the locals too with intimidating them with guns and shooting around their property...if I remember correctly. Does that give the cult a right to poison people...no.

That all said, I completely understand not wanting something as weird as this happening where you live. I don't like being on a train/bus and having some weirdo doing crazy stuff by me even if he's not violating any laws...but at least that will stop at some point. Not so in these peoples' situation.

The 20 Rolls Royces was just a bad PR move.
The lady was a fighter and took it too far with the poison.
The lawyer I think is a good guy that means well
The homeless was a means to an end...a pawn for the most part - The cult may not have realized what % of homeless people are crazy... so maybe they didn't intend them to be complete pawns until they found out. Meaning, they still wanted their votes, but also had true intentions of letting them stay and be a part of their society.

Basically these people didn't do enough due diligence on their real estate location purchase. :)

I also thought a big part of what made this series so good was that that many of the main players in the story participated. It was cool to see them back then and then now talking about it all.

Good review and thoughts, cactusboy

The only thing, I thought very few true hippies. Similar to Jim Jones followers.

Obviously, homeless bus = pawn.

And 20 Rolls Royce ... I thought gifts, courtesy of $$Hollywood crowd.

I agree, Bhagwan's lawyer (Niren) means well. Even Sheela, she means well, sicko actions, but means well. BTW, I dislike redneck rancher dude for some reason (Nike family).

My first thought, Bhagwan was a Jim Jones, Charles Manson, Jimmy Swaggart and Bin Laden types. I was wrong.

Still amazing .....
Within three years, the Rajneesh's cult followers developed a community, turning the ranch from an empty rural property into a city of up to 7,000 people, complete with typical urban infrastructure such as a fire department, police, restaurants, malls, townhouses, a 4,200-foot airstrip, a public transport system using buses, a sewage reclamation plant and a reservoir.

Now ...... Big Muddy Washington Family Ranch. No mention Rajneeshpuram community

mandir.jpg

Last edited:
Good review and thoughts, cactusboy

The only thing, I thought very few true hippies. Similar to Jim Jones followers ?

Obviously, homeless bussers = pawn.

And 20 Rolls Royce ... I thought gifts, courtesy of $$Hollywood crowd.

I agree, Bhagwan's lawyer (Niren) means well. Even Sheela, she means well, sicko actions, but means well. BTW, I dislike redneck rancher dude for some reason (Nike family).

My first thought, Bhagwan was a Jim Jones, Charles Manson, Jimmy Swaggart and Bin Laden types. I was wrong.

Still amazing .....

Now ...... Big Muddy Washington Family Ranch. No mention Rajneeshpuram community

It's crazy how much of a real city they made it into.

I thought a lot of the people against them came off poorly...some not so much.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back