• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Need help on game day plan with son

gobigrad

Recruit
Taking my son to his first NU game this Saturday (he is 5 and loves football, obsessed with the games on TV and has only been to high school games so far).

Checking to see what is all available pre-game and post-game. Hoping someone who has been to the games might have some insight on what we can experience. I'm planning on showing up early when doors open. Hang out by the fence and watch the players warm-up. See if we can get over to the tunnel walk before the game start. Do the players/coaches come out a certain area after game (and before game) to wave, give high fives, etc?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Taking my son to his first NU game this Saturday (he is 5 and loves football, obsessed with the games on TV and has only been to high school games so far).

Checking to see what is all available pre-game and post-game. Hoping someone who has been to the games might have some insight on what we can experience. I'm planning on showing up early when doors open. Hang out by the fence and watch the players warm-up. See if we can get over to the tunnel walk before the game start. Do the players/coaches come out a certain area after game (and before game) to wave, give high fives, etc?

If you get there early enough you can see the guys come into the North Stadium lobby

Stand next to or near the Heisman trophies for a good shot at a high five

Last edited:

I’ve never been one to plan things out when it comes to something fun like this. My suggestions is just get there early and just walk around and explore. Since he’s young just kind of let his sense of wonder take over. Planning out a specific tour will create too many restrictions. Let him kind of dictate what he wants to see and then when it gets closer to game time then get into the stadium and have him watch the players and see if you can’t be a part of the tunnel walk.

So in summary, let him kind of dictate what he wants to see outside the stadium, kind of stear him toward all the cool sights and then get into the stadium early enough to see the warm ups and tunnel walk.

Besides what has already been mentioned, there are also activities on the outside practice field.
Going in to see the lobby, trophies etc.. is pretty neat. On gameday, you can't see the video that is adjacent to the weight room, but if you are there on Friday, take him to that - it is pretty neat as well. I highly recommend the Unity Walk when the players enter from the East side. That is always a cool experience and he will see every player/coach come through. Pretty cool experience with the band/cheerleaders etc.. I also would consider taking him to the Tunnel Walk by North Stadium. When I took the kids, we set up shop about 30 minutes before time, in order to get a good spot.
I imagine this is an experience neither of you will forget.

Always exciting as a parent taking kids to the "1st game"
As I type this now, I have pictures on my office wall of each of our 3 kids and their "1st Husker Game"
Each one of them was between 5 & 7 yo. Great memories!! GBR!!

Besides what has already been mentioned, there are also activities on the outside practice field.
Going in to see the lobby, trophies etc.. is pretty neat. On gameday, you can't see the video that is adjacent to the weight room, but if you are there on Friday, take him to that - it is pretty neat as well. I highly recommend the Unity Walk when the players enter from the East side. That is always a cool experience and he will see every player/coach come through. Pretty cool experience with the band/cheerleaders etc.. I also would consider taking him to the Tunnel Walk by North Stadium. When I took the kids, we set up shop about 30 minutes before time, in order to get a good spot.
I imagine this is an experience neither of you will forget.

Always exciting as a parent taking kids to the "1st game"
As I type this now, I have pictures on my office wall of each of our 3 kids and their "1st Husker Game"
Each one of them was between 5 & 7 yo. Great memories!! GBR!!

Yep, the activities on the practice are geared to kids. i.e. throwing footballs thru wood receivers arms and things like that. My kid was 7 when we went there and there were a lot of kids kicking and passing footballs to each other and I think there was even a pickup game of touch football. He had more fun there than he did at the game as he held his hands over his ears and complained it was too loud during most of the game.

Would agree with the practice field thing. I haven't been there to speak of any details but have heard from many with young kids it is a must do.

Yep, the activities on the practice are geared to kids. i.e. throwing footballs thru wood receivers arms and things like that. My kid was 7 when we went there and there were a lot of kids kicking and passing footballs to each other and I think there was even a pickup game of touch football. He had more fun there than he did at the game as he held his hands over his ears and complained it was too loud during most of the game.

For kids it is a very good idea to take some hearing protection. the little foam ones you get for shooting or construction work really well and cheap!

Great! Thanks for all the help. We will definitely check out the practice field. He will enjoy that. Then we may wander into North Stadium lobby, unity walk, tunnel walk. I will let him dictate what he wants to do.

So the Unity walk enters through Gate 20 on the East side of stadium 2 hours before game and then players walk to/through the North Stadium lobby?

Great! Thanks for all the help. We will definitely check out the practice field. He will enjoy that. Then we may wander into North Stadium lobby, unity walk, tunnel walk. I will let him dictate what he wants to do.

So the Unity walk enters through Gate 20 on the East side of stadium 2 hours before game and then players walk to/through the North Stadium lobby?
The bus will drop players and coaches off in the east parking lot. Fans line up on both sides as the players walk toward gate 20 and then continue walking around to North Stadium. They don't actually enter Gate 20.

When we were there for the Colorado game in September, the activities for the kids were on the track next to the practice field. Last year, they were on the practice field. Either way, you will see them easily as the track and practice field are side-by-side. The activities include an bounce house type obstacle course, throwing footballs through holes, shooting baskets, getting numbers painted on faces, balloon animals, and so on.

My son and I actually threw a football around for a good 40 minutes this year after the unity walk. A little after that, the balloons to be released are handed out in that area. My son always likes to get one of those. At some point, before or after the game, we will get our picture taken by the Tom Osborne/Brook Berringer statue, so I can see how he has grown each year and how much older I look.

Enjoy the game with him! He's going to get to see a win!!

I know that when I was up there for Purdue, me and my family were in the North Lobby checking out the trophies when some staff members cleared a path and the team came in on their way to the locker room via the weight room entrance

Thanks for all the great tips. Where does one park that it halfway close to the stadium? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to reveal your secret spots online.

when I had season tickets, we used to park in the deck on 12th an L street.

It was a straight walk north on 12th street onto campus, you could stop at the Bookstore for things (including bathrooms, always important with kids and elderly like me :) ) and then to the stadium.

The deck was not to hard to get to from O street or from I180.

Your 5 y/o needs: His favorite food, a ballon and a program in addition to the other things mentioned.

Have a great time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great tips. Where does one park that it halfway close to the stadium? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to reveal your secret spots online.

The parking garage behind Abel/Sandoz Hall isn’t too pricy for its location, (at least it didn’t use to be) and is just a few blocks from the stadium, straight down Vine Street. I want to say it was maybe $15-$20.

He's 5?

Take some extra time to go see Morril Hall next door if you haven't. I don't know any young boy (my own included) who doesn't like dinosaurs and mastodons.
http://museum.unl.edu/museum_info/index.html

Morrill_Hall_AR11_038-1024x270.jpg

5890f79d7013b.image.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back