• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska will explore a zone read package with Zack Darlington this spring

In the post interview presser, one of the reporters mentioned if it would like look the package Indiana had for their QB Diamont as a change of pace. Riley said he would like that and that it would also give them something that Darlington could finish a game with if ever needed.

I think you're overestimating O'Brien's ability to run effectively. Think Zac Lee, but less effective.

I am not saying he is some stud runner but I have seen him live and he is mobile. 47 yard TD up the middle means he is more than capable with his feet to extend plays and run a zone read play. He ran it in high school and was effective at it. But that is high school and this is a higher level but my point is still valid. He is not a statue and might surprise a few on here. Or he could be a complete bust and never sees the field.

C

I don't see anything ZD can do that will make defenses respect it. He comes in and the defense knows exactly what is going to happen. I for one am tired of the NU zone read and would be happy to see it go away for a long time unless they get a QB at the caliber of a Deshawn, Winston, Mariota, Cam, etc.

C
That's fair. I think it has its advantages, the QB as a runner is something I like making defenses prepare for.

In the post interview presser, one of the reporters mentioned if it would like look the package Indiana had for their QB Diamont as a change of pace. Riley said he would like that and that it would also give them something that Darlington could finish a game with if ever needed.
Wisky did it a few years back with the second string qb, it did put a lot of defenses on their heels.

No, but we needed help for the Iowa game and for the bowl game. Could this staff not have realized this at that time?

You wanted to take ZD with 1 games notice and put in the ZR for him. That's even crazier talk. Look...we all know you'll look for anything to bash MR with but this is beyond reasonable.

Weren't they using ZD all this past season as zone read on the field goals and extra points?

You wanted to take ZD with 1 games notice and put in the ZR for him. That's even crazier talk. Look...we all know you'll look for anything to bash MR with but this is beyond reasonable.
Here we go again. I do not bash Riley. I never did and never will. I am one of the few on this board who has supported his hire from the beginning. Do not make assumptions or inaccurate accusations. What I opine is simply conversation, not bashing. Know the difference. So, now that I have clarified that for you, if ZD has the ability to play QB in certain packages, why, all of a sudden, did someone just now recognize this? Seems to me there were opportunities to get him on the field in those packages, considering the injury to TA and the lack of depth at QB. That is all I am saying. Not bashing Riley.

Last edited:

That's fair. I think it has its advantages, the QB as a runner is something I like making defenses prepare for.

A QB that can see the opportunity to pick up positive yards and keep plays alive is a huge advantage. Of course it would be great to have a homerun threat, but we faced plenty of players over the years who drove us crazy when we thought we had a 3rd down stopped, only to see a tuck and run for 6 or 7 yards and a first down. I think any of our guys can do that, it's just the recognition.

My opinion, that no one should care much about............

If we need ZD to jump-start our offense, we may need to rethink our offensive philosophy. Large scale.
I think it would be less about jump starting and more about making other teams waste practice time. JMHO

I'm a bit surprised by all the apprehension. It wasn't that long ago that people were up in arms that Riley and his staff weren't molding their system enough to the player personnel. I see this as the staff using the players and resources they have in any way they think can help the team. They got a taste of the ZR for the first time and they see the advantages. I'm sure they are well aware of how much it will telegraph things by running a specialty package out onto the field and will have enough wrinkles in it to combat it. There is also the posssibilty that they'll run it so well people can't stop it even when they know it's coming.

A QB that can see the opportunity to pick up positive yards and keep plays alive is a huge advantage. Of course it would be great to have a homerun threat, but we faced plenty of players over the years who drove us crazy when we thought we had a 3rd down stopped, only to see a tuck and run for 6 or 7 yards and a first down. I think any of our guys can do that, it's just the recognition.
I'll take a guy throwing the ball away and not forcing something at this point.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back