• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska vs Wisconsin

Doc apppears clueless as a coach and I wonder how effective he is as a recruiter. It appears that Wisconsin had a talent edge and even though NU isn't known as a basketball school, is Wisconsin known as such?

Not really, but they have made 10 straight (probably 11 straight this year) NCAA's, and have only be one and done once in that time span, to go along with 4 Sweet 16's. Can anyone even dream similar results for NU?

I thought the team looked like they "belonged" on the same floor as Wisky until about 18 minutes left in the game. Then it was like we should have been playing on the same court as Doane.

I think the ability is there for Doc to get to his usual .376 conference winning percentage (six wins in case you're wondering), but man, why do I feel like the potential for this team to completely give up is there???? Jeter's leadership will be missed from here on...

I don't see fred defending his coach. Funny, he only comes around when they win. Kind of like what he complained about.. some only come to the board when we lose.

Actually, we are here every day talking Husker bball, but not fred.

Not really, but they have made 10 straight (probably 11 straight this year) NCAA's, and have only be one and done once in that time span, to go along with 4 Sweet 16's. Can anyone even dream similar results for NU?

There really is not much reason why Nebraska shouldn't be able to get somewhat to the level of a school like Wisconsin. The Badgers don't have that much of a basketball tradition.... they went from 1947 until 2002 between conference championships... and 1947 until 1994 to make the NCAA Tournament. And it's a football school. It's all about finding the right coach to put the right system in place.

There really is not much reason why Nebraska shouldn't be able to get somewhat to the level of a school like Wisconsin. The Badgers don't have that much of a basketball tradition.... they went from 1947 until 2002 between conference championships... and 1947 until 1994 to make the NCAA Tournament. And it's a football school. It's all about finding the right coach to put the right system in place.

I agree, NU can get close to where Wisconsin is, but it'll take some foresight. Bo Ryan essentially went from D3 to Wisconsin, with a two year stop at Milwaukee (that didn't produce anything significant). They were fortunate to find a great coach in their backyard.

Doc is clueless. He thinks the only way to win in the Big 10 is to take the shot clock under 10 seconds and take a shot. Read his post game quotes and see if anyone believes him and thinks he should stay on as a coach right now?

I was very, very disturbed by Doc's quotes. Yes, there were a couple of stretches where Nebraska took hasty shots. But there were just as many stretches where Nebraska waited . . . key word > "waited" . . . until there was under 10 seconds left on the shot clock and ended up throwing up a prayer in order to beat the shot clock.

Both types of shots amount to the same thing . . . a wasted opportunity.

Doc Sadler is just flat wrong. Great teams don't wait until there is 10 seconds on the shot clock. That is so wrong it hurt my eyes to read it. Great teams show great patience and often work the shot clock under 10 seconds as they work their offense in search of . . . A GOOD SHOT. Great teams attack for 35 seconds if need be until they get the shot they want. If it takes 5 seconds, fine. If it takes 35 seconds, okay. They don't stand around for 25 seconds and then play frantic beat the clock to get whatever they can get. Your only real hope at that point is to clear out and give the ball to a play-maker to make a play. If you hadn't noticed, we haven't had a whole lot of those guys lately.

The difference in application of philosophy was never so obvious then this game. Ubel stated that Wisconsin worked and worked and seemed to score at the buzzer and it was tiring to play defense for 35 seconds like that. The key is, we had to defend the entire 35 seconds. On offense, Nebraska stood around and waited . . . and so did Wisconsin on defense . . . and thus Wisconsin always got a 25 second breather before having to defend for 10 seconds.

Wow. That was all I could say to Doc's quotes.

Doc is clueless. Plain and simple.

He THINKS he's employing the Wisconsin strategy but he's not even remotely close to it.

Last edited:

I don't see fred defending his coach. Funny, he only comes around when they win. Kind of like what he complained about.. some only come to the board when we lose.
You mean like after the Creighton game? Need a link are are we just going to admit that you are wrong about that?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back