• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NEBRASKA vs W. CAROLINA - Doug Kingsmore Stadium @ Clemson - 6-4-2016 - 11 am Cntrl

perhaps Erstad needs to consult husker football staff on recruiting tips.
thanks everyone for the play by play as it is greatly appreciated and well done.

Granted, Husker baseball simply doesn't have the recruiting potential that Husker football offers. And realistically, we definitely were more talented than Western Carolina. And I also can't say there is another Big Ten team that is significantly more talented than Nebraska.

Basil outlined a bunch of high questionable decisions -- and a lot of that is on coaching -- and at least some of that is on Erstad.

We probably will hire a new batting coach for next season. But to be fair, the bats will always rest at least partially on Erstad's shoulders. He's an offensive coach. Just as Riley has some expertise in offense. And Bo did on defense. So if your biggest struggles fall on the side where the head man is most knowledgeable, there's a problem.

Nice post, Basil....good follow up, guys. It all underlines the disappointment we're undoubtedly feeling.

Good post Basil. The last sentence echos my thoughts as well. He has to see the issues. What is causing the issues though?

They look to me like they aren't hungry. One of our top hitters was compared to John Kruk today....and not because of his hitting. You mean to tell me that Husker Power generates John Kruk bodies? We all know the answer to that.

The team lacks grit. It lacks hunger. It lacks aggression. It lacks saltiness. Ironically, the team is the antithesis of Erstad the player.

Last edited:

Well, I came home hoping for the victory, alas, I guess it just wasn't meant to be, DAMN! After watching them play with passion to end the regular season, I felt really good about these guys going into B1G play and thought we'd make some noise on our way to a decent seed and regional. It's not the way any of us wanted the season to end of course, but man, 0 - 4 and none of the games were really all that close, that just SUCKS! Next year I guess. GO BIG RED!!!!

They look to me like they aren't hungry. One of our top hitters was compared to John Kruk today....and not because of his hitting. You mean to tell me that Husker Power generates John Kruk bodies? We all know the answer to that.

The team lacks grit. It lacks hunger. It lacks aggression. It lacks saltiness. Ironically, the team is the antithesis of Erstad the player.
It lacks the necessary talent. And that's all.

Sans, Jake Meyer. Your speech was right on, BLF. :(

Well, the good news is that we don't have to wait too much longer to be able to watch a team that actually plays with a little pride and guts. Volleyball season starts 11 weeks from Friday.

That was a really tough post-season to watch. Frankly, i'm glad it's over.

I can't tell if we under-achieved or are just not a good baseball team. As many have pointed out, our approaches were terrible against Western Carolina, and even though they were hitting against the Big12 pitcher of the year, the approaches were awful against him as well. Are our players just not good on the fly trying to know what they are going to do? Are they handcuffed by our staff. We really aren't bringing in any bats next year either besides Acker, so I wonder what we are going to do?

2016 totals:
BA - .281
Runs - 325
HRs - 43
ERA - 3.89

2015 totals:
BA - .276
Runs - 274
HRs - 22
ERA - 3.12

2014 totals:
BA - .293
Runs - 363
HRs - 19
ERA - 3.50

I bolded our regional years, but I don't know if you can make anything from these numbers or not. I just picked out some that had been talked about this year.

Dang, I was hoping that the HUSKERS would really catch fire thru the conference tournament and use that momentum thru the NCAA regionals, no such luck though. Being outscored 10-1 and outhit 26- 11 in the two latest games is a bitter pill for sure. Hopefully after some serious head scratching the coaches and players take it upon themselves to right the ship in a more positive way next season. Congratulations to the HUSKERS for their conference finish and for making the NCAA tournament. Go get em next season guys!!!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back