• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NEBRASKA vs W. CAROLINA - Doug Kingsmore Stadium @ Clemson - 6-4-2016 - 11 am Cntrl

I think I'm glad I only spent about 30 minutes tracking today's game.

I know *** said as long as we made the tournament, this season would be called impressive. As I said, I won't call it a failure, but I see little reason for celebration.

As hot as we were playing to end the regular season ... and then to go 0-2 in the Big Ten Tournament -- in Omaha. And then 0-2 in the NCAA Tournament. And three of those four opponents were not all that impressive (78, 103, and 97 RPIs). Our worst stretch of baseball this season was the final four games.

Ugly.

Equally ugly was scoring a total of 4 runs in the final 4 games. Beyond ugly.

Last edited:

I know *** said as long as we made the tournament, this season would be called impressive. As I said, I won't call it a failure, but I see little reason for celebration.

As hot as we were playing to end the regular season ... and then to go 0-2 in the Big Ten Tournament -- in Omaha. And then 0-2 in the NCAA Tournament. And three of those four opponents were not all that impressive.

Ugly.

so you're saying it was ugly?:Biggrin:

Thanks CBob for the PBP. The end of the season was a disappointment. The lack of intensity and emotion was bewildering.

It was still a good year,see everyone next baseball season! Pro sports until football season.Thanks Cbob for the pbp.

As hot as we were playing to end the regular season ... and then to go 0-2 in the Big Ten Tournament -- in Omaha. And then 0-2 in the NCAA Tournament. And three of those four opponents were not all that impressive (78, 103, and 97 RPIs). Our worst stretch of baseball this season was the final four games.

Ugly.

I do not think it was a success! Putting us in a position to underachieve is not a success. :(

Just can't fathom our inability to perform, after ending the regular season looking like gangbusters!

perhaps Erstad needs to consult husker football staff on recruiting tips.
thanks everyone for the play by play as it is greatly appreciated and well done.

Just can't fathom our inability to perform, after ending the regular season looking like gangbusters!

perhaps Erstad needs to consult husker football staff on recruiting tips.
thanks everyone for the play by play as it is greatly appreciated and well done.

The only positive that can be taken away from this game is Jake Meyers.

This is not a good baseball team. They are either poorly coached or do not listen to the coach. They are utterly clueless at the plate; they have terrible approaches. I bet Erstad had steam coming out of his ears during many of the at bats.

Obsevations:

1) Their pitcher was terrible. He couldn't throw his fastball for a strike. He walked 7 in 3 innings. We didn't plate any of them. Some one has got to shorten up and get a ball in the outfield.
2) We have terrible approaches at the plate. At one point, he'd thrown 29 balls and 23 strikes. What do we do? Chase 0-0 breaking balls in the dirt. Why in the world any hitter, let alone a senior, is chasing a 58' breaking ball on the first pitch is confounding. Have a plan up there. Get your pitch. It's not a secret what is going to come next when the guy has no change up, can't throw a fastball for a strike, and we swing over the top of a below average breaking ball and lose our front half every time. Ugh.
3) First inning. No outs. Literally every out in the game is left. We sacrifice. Incredible. Sacrificing in a one run ball game in the first inning with the top of our lineup. You absolutely play for the big inning there especially when the pitcher can't find the zone.
4) Scleppenbach caught stealing. Do we steal on 0-1 when we know he is throwing a breaking ball? Nope. The pitcher then bounces a breaking ball. We then steal on a neutral count when he throws a fastball. Does our hitter swing to protect the runner? Nope. There pitcher was a lefty who was slide stepping(discussion for another day on why that alone is stupid). I timed him at 1.2 to home; pretty quick. That means you have to run on a breaking ball. We do not. The hitter doesn't swing, easy out.
5) W.Car is terrible. They had terrible pitchers and a bunch of fat guys. And they beat DONU. Terrible.
6) The team has no identity. If we are going to be a small ball team that bunts and runs, our players need to shorten swings and swing at good pitches...work a damn bag one time. If we are going to free swing and slug, we have the wrong players.

The only reason this team reached the NCAAs is because we ride one incredible player.

Erstad was a hell of a player and undoubtedly knows lots about baseball. The issues I identified are puzzling to me.

This is not a good baseball team. They are either poorly coached or do not listen to the coach. They are utterly clueless at the plate; they have terrible approaches. I bet Erstad had steam coming out of his ears during many of the at bats.

Obsevations:

1) Their pitcher was terrible. He couldn't throw his fastball for a strike. He walked 7 in 3 innings. We didn't plate any of them. Some one has got to shorten up and get a ball in the outfield.
2) We have terrible approaches at the plate. At one point, he'd thrown 29 balls and 23 strikes. What do we do? Chase 0-0 breaking balls in the dirt. Why in the world any hitter, let alone a senior, is chasing a 58' breaking ball on the first pitch is confounding. Have a plan up there. Get your pitch. It's not a secret what is going to come next when the guy has no change up, can't throw a fastball for a strike, and we swing over the top of a below average breaking ball and lose our front half every time. Ugh.
3) First inning. No outs. Literally every out in the game is left. We sacrifice. Incredible. Sacrificing in a one run ball game in the first inning with the top of our lineup. You absolutely play for the big inning there especially when the pitcher can't find the zone.
4) Scleppenbach caught stealing. Do we steal on 0-1 when we know he is throwing a breaking ball? Nope. The pitcher then bounces a breaking ball. We then steal on a neutral count when he throws a fastball. Does our hitter swing to protect the runner? Nope. There pitcher was a lefty who was slide stepping(discussion for another day on why that alone is stupid). I timed him at 1.2 to home; pretty quick. That means you have to run on a breaking ball. We do not. The hitter doesn't swing, easy out.
5) W.Car is terrible. They had terrible pitchers and a bunch of fat guys. And they beat DONU. Terrible.
6) The team has no identity. If we are going to be a small ball team that bunts and runs, our players need to shorten swings and swing at good pitches...work a damn bag one time. If we are going to free swing and slug, we have the wrong players.

The only reason this team reached the NCAAs is because we ride one incredible player.

Erstad was a hell of a player and undoubtedly knows lots about baseball. The issues I identified are puzzling to me.

Excellent post and I completely agree on all points (not that my opinion is worth much). What is worrying is the issues listed above are not unique to this year; all of them date back at least a couple of years, and some have been issues for the duration of Erstads tenure. I was really hoping to see an improvement in plate approach and a clearer offensive identity this year, with Erstad reportedly taking more control of the offense. There seemed to be some improvement at the plate and a more aggression on the bases early in the year, but the second half of the year it seemed to regress back to last years form and often hitters looked lost. Of course, it's not entirely a surprise hitters are lacking in approach and identity when the in game decisions are so inconsistent. It really is baffling though because the product (offensive) is so different from what I've heard Erstad describe he wants to do....

Last edited:
Sounds like we need a new hitting coach, or need to clear house of the guys who want to do things their way. Those things you mentioned were taught to us by our sophomore year in highschool.

Obsevations:

Good post Basil. The last sentence echos my thoughts as well. He has to see the issues. What is causing the issues though?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back