• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska vs UCLA Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s what is so sad. We don’t have to be perfect. We just need to get out of our own way. We haven’t done it in over a decade. We have a murderous schedule this year. Maybe that is a good thing. Maybe we can admit that we aren’t quite good enough, and find what it takes to get better. We’d better in a hurry.

Great summary and I agree with everything you said. Except the bolded part. NU has a schedule with teams that have NAMES that sound salty. But UCLA may be the best team NU faces the rest of the year. Wisco is ok. Michigan is OK. OSU might be good. Mich St. might be good. But murderer's row it's not. It's going to FEEL like Murderer's row because NU's not very good. If NU was where they SHOULD be in year 5 of a GOOD coaching staff 3 wins would be expected and 4 quite possible. But 4 losses is what's quite possible. This season has a good chance of spiralling out of control.

Last edited:

Great summary and I agree with everything you said. Except the bolded part. NU has a schedule with teams that have NAMES that sound salty. But UCLA may be the best team NU faces the rest of the year. Wisco is ok. Michigan is OK. OSU might be good. Mich St. might be good. But murderer's row it's not. It's going to FEEL like Murderer's row because NU's not very good. If NU was where they SHOULD be in year 5 of a GOOD coaching staff 3 wins would be expected and 4 quite possible. But 4 losses is what's quite possible. This season has a good chance of spiralling out of control.

Yeah, I guess I should have said we "potentially" have a murderous schedule. You are right, we play a number of teams with big names and it remains to be seen how good they really are.

We were pretty salty in 2010 as well, even without Suh...but I can't explain that last 14 months...2008, sure. It's like generally our O has gotten better than 2009-2010, but our d has gotten worse. I still say it starts up front on both sides...we don't have the athletes generally speaking....
Gone is Crick, David, Hagg, Denard, et al.

Yes indeed. This "tough" Big 10 schedule is a built in excuse for the worst case scenario.

As always, a great recap of the game by HIO. You pull no punches, you say like it is, your recaps should be mandatory reading by posters and coaches alike as you make valid points everywhere. That great drive that stalled with the up the middle play and then the missed field goal was the turning point, I agree. I kept hoping for a big play on defense but it never came. A tough loss no matter how you look at it. Let's hope it's the only one of the season.

Thanks mj. I always appreciated your positive mojo and I wish I could be more positive. I generally am positive by nature, but I never believe you can get better by sugar-coating obvious deficiencies. I think this team can get better. I really do. I just am baffled as to why year after year we can never seem to take that step up. But one more little saying that occured to me after I wrote this. Going back to the tackling, UCLA tackled with testosterone, and NU tackled with estrogen. That was really the difference. I give UCLA credit. The way they were popping us in the second half. That is what I'd like to see us do.

Thanks mj. I always appreciated your positive mojo and I wish I could be more positive. I generally am positive by nature, but I never believe you can get better by sugar-coating obvious deficiencies. I think this team can get better. I really do. I just am baffled as to why year after year we can never seem to take that step up. But one more little saying that occured to me after I wrote this. Going back to the tackling, UCLA tackled with testosterone, and NU tackled with estrogen. That was really the difference. I give UCLA credit. The way they were popping us in the second half. That is what I'd like to see us do.

Your review was on target. There is no reason to be positive after a performance like tonight. The sunshine pumpers lose all respect when they try to spin a tragedy.

Listening to Bo Pelini, he said a lot of the things discussed in this thread.

Embarrassing loss. We did not do anything well.

Defense didn't show up in the first half, offense did not show up in the second half. Hmm, where did I hear that one.:Biggrin:

Total team loss. Dejavu anyone?

Gives UCLA credit, but we didn't do anything well.

There were yards to be had out there in the second half, but the offense didn't execute.

Bad field position, yeah, but you have to flip the field position. Offense needs to get first downs and defense needs to get a stop.

Acknowledged the missed FG really hurt.

Sort of laughed when asked about the safety. "Did you intend for Taylor to be in endzone?" He said everything about that play was bad.

Had no explanation for poor tackling, said he would look at film. Said it killed us that we had them for losses that turned into huge gains.

Total team loss. Probably said that 5 times.

His comments were right on and as disappointed as I am, I liked his comments. They were what I needed to hear from our head coach.

And not once did he say, "we're really a good team, we just keep making silly mistakes."

He said, "We weren't a good team tonight." Honest and to the point.

Last edited:

Listening to Bo Pelini, he said a lot of the things discussed in this thread.

Embarrassing loss. We did not do anything well.

Defense didn't show up in the first half, offense did not show up in the second half. Hmm, where did I hear that one.:Biggrin:

Total team loss. Dejavu anyone?

Gives UCLA credit, but we didn't do anything well.

There were yards to be had out there in the second half, but the offense didn't execute.

Bad field position, yeah, but you have to flip the field position. Offense needs to get first downs and defense needs to get a stop.

Acknowledged the missed FG really hurt.

Sort of laughed when asked about the safety. "Did you intend for Taylor to be in endzone?" He said everything about that play was bad.

Had no explanation for poor tackling, said he would look at film. Said it killed us that we had them for losses that turned into huge gains.

Total team loss. Probably said that 5 times.

His comments were right on and as disappointed as I am, I liked his comments. They were what I needed to hear from our head coach.

And not once did he say, "we're really a good team, we just keep making silly mistakes."

He said, "We weren't a good team tonight." Honest and to the point.

That's great and all, but it doesn't change the fact that this team isn't anywhere near where it should be for the 5th year of $2+ Million/year Coach(and staff).

Well, just to be clear. I am not exactly sunshine pumping in this thread or even on this page.

Yeah I was more or less saying that in answer to the post-game presser, which you summed up almost event for event. My bad, because typed out like that it didn't come off correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back