• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska is Big Ten Preseason Favorites

Undertow

Inactive as of 11-01-2018
Nebraska is picked as by the coaches as the preseason favorite to defend their conference championship.

http://www.bigten.org/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/081418aaa.html

2018 BIG TEN PRESEASON POLL

1. Nebraska
2. Wisconsin
3. Minnesota
4. Penn State
5. Illinois
6. Michigan
7. Purdue
8. Ohio State
9. Michigan State
9. Iowa
11. Northwestern
12. Indiana
13. Maryland
14. Rutgers

Additionally Foecke and Maloney were selected to the Big Ten preseason all-conference team. Foecke was a unanimous selection. Stivrins, Sweet, and Sun were not on the list. I expect all five will be on some level of all-conference team (1st, 2nd or 3rd) by the end of the year.

2018 PRESEASON ALL-BIG TEN VOLLEYBALL TEAM

Ali Bastianelli, ILL
JORDYN POULTER, ILL
Taylor Louis, IOWA
CARLY SKJODT, MICH
Alexis Hart, MINN
STEPHANIE SAMEDY, MINN
SAMANTHA SELIGER-SWENSON, MINN
MIKAELA FOECKE, NEB
Kenzie Maloney, NEB
Taylor Leath, PSU
Kendall White, PSU
SHERRIDAN ATKINSON, PUR
DANA RETTKE, WIS
Tionna Williams, WIS

And, as noted on another thread, the red-white scrimmage is a sell out. This train is startin' to roll again. Best just get out the way and enjoy..........

Last edited:
Kind of surprised to see PSU at 4th. They must have lost some of their stars last year. Now that I think about it, they did have a pretty senior-laden team last year.

Kind of surprised to see PSU at 4th. They must have lost some of their stars last year. Now that I think about it, they did have a pretty senior-laden team last year.

You're correct that Penn State lost a lot of firepower. They lost 3 All-Americans (Haliegh Washington MB, Simone Lee OH, & Ali Frantti OH). Someone on another site said they lost 85% of their offense. Of course, some could say it is similar to losing the Rolfzen Twins, Wong-Orantes, and your 3rd best hitter in Andie Malloy after 2016. And then you follow that up with a Big Ten and National Championship.

I'm sure Rose has recruited well and they may be a force at the end of the season. However, I'm pretty sure PSU doesn't have a Foecke-type to take the torch, and I doubt they have a Kelly Hunter to captain the crew, provide the necessary leadership, and set the tone for the program.

I went back and looked at what the Husker's were picked in preseason last year in what was to be a "rebuilding" year. Preseason in the Big Ten they were picked number 2, behind Minnesota and just ahead of Penn State. Nationally, in the 2017 ACVA preseason poll, the Huskers were number 5. Minnesota was 2 and Penn State was 6. The Texas Longhorns were the preseason no. 1 pick.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back