• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska Homegrown Event Held Dec. 5--Most Recent Walk-ons Committed: McCormack, Stafursky, Leader

My overwhelming ignorance on full display: What are their positions and measurables? The comments look very positive, so are they strong candidates to develop into contributors?

I think the ignorant boat is standing room only. most of us just scratch our head and pretend we understand.

Anybody see the McCormack kid play? He looks intense and runs a 4.6. Lots of tackles for the season. OLB??

Anybody see the McCormack kid play? He looks intense and runs a 4.6. Lots of tackles for the season. OLB??
I'm pretty sure this is a guy that really had a solid senior season, and didn't get as much attention because he's only the 4th or 5th best LB in Nebraska - but this is a pretty good year for Nebraska LB's! He's fast and is a good coverage linebacker, and a pretty good running back. Don't know what position he ends up at, but seems like a good WLB or whatever it is called now.

Here's an article about a FNL camp he attended: https://columbustelegram.com/sports...cle_a470cb03-d7b5-5609-a17c-601bbc737107.html

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this is a guy that really had a solid senior season, and didn't get as much attention because he's only the 4th or 5th best LB in Nebraska - but this is a pretty good year for Nebraska LB's! He's fast and is a good coverage linebacker, and a pretty good running back. Don't know what position he ends up at, but seems like a good WLB or whatever it is called now.

Here's an article about a FNL camp he attended: https://columbustelegram.com/sports...cle_a470cb03-d7b5-5609-a17c-601bbc737107.html
He has a man bun. I do not trust guys with a man bun. :Stickouttongue: Seriously don't like em but if he can ball out. I will learn to live with it.

So serious question - what percentage of walk-ons contributing or starting is okay? I am a basketball fan, and the answer in basketball is almost always "none". There are some exceptions, but walk-ons in basketball means you have a real recruiting issue.

For Nebraska football, it seems like there is some magic combination of walk-ons in certain positions that makes the team tick faster. In general you don't want walk-on corners (because they are golden, sorry) but walk-on safeties and linebackers are okay. I think the nose-tackle position in a 3-4 is definitely a place you don't want to see a typical walk-on contributing.

I see these guys committing, and I get excited about their potential - but on the other hand... So what is the correct mix?

So serious question - what percentage of walk-ons contributing or starting is okay? I am a basketball fan, and the answer in basketball is almost always "none". There are some exceptions, but walk-ons in basketball means you have a real recruiting issue.

For Nebraska football, it seems like there is some magic combination of walk-ons in certain positions that makes the team tick faster. In general you don't want walk-on corners (because they are golden, sorry) but walk-on safeties and linebackers are okay. I think the nose-tackle position in a 3-4 is definitely a place you don't want to see a typical walk-on contributing.

I see these guys committing, and I get excited about their potential - but on the other hand... So what is the correct mix?
Historically by my recollection it would have been about 2-3. Look at our best teams there were usually about 2-3 walk-ons or former walk-ons that contributed.

In terms of "get off the bus" that Stafursky kid looks genuine. The kind of kid that in the old days would go from walk on to AA by his junior year.

I really don't understand the lack of D-1 interest in this kid. He looks like a kid that would have a Wyoming or Ohio scholarship in hand. I mean he has good stats he has good numbers at camps, he might be a little short but that is all I see that might hold people back.

edit Just watch a little Hudle film on him. They actually had him listed at 6'2" He has nice speed and pretty good instincts. Has some learning to do at the ILB spot, which I think he will end up at, but still looks like a solid lower level D-1 prospect. I think they are getting a really nice prospect.

Last edited:
I think walk-on or scholarship doesn't really make any difference. A couple of years with a staff that develops players and the best man will win.

If he accepts, he would be our third walk-on kicker / punter in this class. (Not a complaint, just an observation.) It would be great to find another Henry or Foltz from the walk-on ranks.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back