• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska football’s B1G 100: The Rivalry Circus

Not Iowa. That would automatically elevate them to our status which took 50 years to build. I could live with Wisconsin as a rival mainly because I hate the beasturds already. IMO Penn St. could be a great rivalry.

Not Iowa. That would automatically elevate them to our status which took 50 years to build. I could live with Wisconsin as a rival mainly because I hate the beasturds already. IMO Penn St. could be a great rivalry.

Penn State COULD if they were in the same division as Nebraska (see: Oklahoma, Big XII South).

I understand this will probably get multiple responses citing number of championships, etc, over several deades.

But still....the bolded above would be hard for me to type given the 1-3 record against Iowa over the past four years. Especially when two of those three losses are lop sided romps !

Agree with you about the Penn State remark, other than what has already been pointed out by Ducktown.

I respect and cared about the Oklahoma series. But it ran its course.

For me, I have no problem calling either Iowa or Wisconsin a rival because I deeply want them to lose every single game they play, from a bowl game down to the intramural chess club matches.
It did not "run its course"; Texas screwed us, purposely, because they wanted the big rivalry with OU.

I do think Wisconsin could be a huge rivalry, but we have to start winning more of those games!

I was in Cabelas in Denver about a month ago, wearing Husker gear, and as I was getting ready to check out, a guy and his wife were in front of me and he said, "I'm from Iowa, and we REALLY hate you guys". I said, "Why - you keep beating us".

I was in Cabelas in Denver about a month ago, wearing Husker gear, and as I was getting ready to check out, a guy and his wife were in front of me and he said, "I'm from Iowa, and we REALLY hate you guys". I said, "Why - you keep beating us".

They're an insecure bunch.

It did not "run its course"; Texas screwed us, purposely, because they wanted the big rivalry with OU.

I do think Wisconsin could be a huge rivalry, but we have to start winning more of those games!

This is at best, revisionist, and at worst, "fake news". Fact is the UT rivalry was bigger to OU than was the rivalry with Nebraska. And so things went the way they did.

This is at best, revisionist, and at worst, "fake news". Fact is the UT rivalry was bigger to OU than was the rivalry with Nebraska. And so things went the way they did.
That's a misconception. Texas had failed to hold up their end of that rivalry for some time. The big game was always Oklahoma-Nebraska.

Texas wanted that to end! That's neither revisionist nor fake. Texas wanted to sever the idea of the OU-NU rivalry because it diminished Texas-OU.

The bold is just odd to me.

Anyway...it could NEVER be Penn State. Ever.

Wisco is a stretch.

Mark my words...it WILL be Iowa. The geography and obviously being in the same division will ensure it. OU happened because it was 2 dominant players in a conference. Even if NU and Wisco battle it out every year for a DIVISION title it's only for the division. It's not the ultimate prize. Being the last game of the year the Iowa game will often be of massive importance even if it's not between NU/Iowa for the division....one team will probably almost always need it to clinch or have a chance. But more than anything it's the geography. We live and work amongst each other. I see Iowa gear every single day. We are on their radio call in shows...and they ours. Etc. It absolutely is going to be the rivalry. Eventually.

They already HAD the big rivalry with OU.

That's a misconception. Texas had failed to hold up their end of that rivalry for some time. The big game was always Oklahoma-Nebraska.

Texas wanted that to end! That's neither revisionist nor fake. Texas wanted to sever the idea of the OU-NU rivalry because it diminished Texas-OU.
Wrong. AND I think you'll find that OU was perfectly fine with ending the rivalry. For one thing...and it makes sense...it wouldn't have been all that fair to them if they had to play NU and Texas every year when others in their division didn't have to. Whatever. That bridge is so far under the bridge....

And rivalries don't have to be...often aren't...affairs where the records are more or less even. OSU-Michigan would be a rivalry if OSU won the next 30 games.

Last edited:

Regarding the Oklahoma series ending, it's really a Tomato-ToMAHto kind of thing.

Fact is, the series ended.

Blame Texas, blame OU, blame the Big XII, SWC, Big 8, Dan Beebe or even Nebraska for not fighting hard enough.

Fact is, the series ended. Find a new rival. Dreaming of Switzer and Sooner Magic sure ain't helping us beat Wisconsin or Iowa consistently.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back