• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska adds 2019 commit Luke Boynton from Marietta, Georgia

Does he have a connection to Nebraska? Geographically it seems like an odd guy to be able to recruit to NU given all the options he would have in the region. I don't recall a ton of recruiting effort going into pulling kids from the Southeast. I'm not complaining... just curious.

Does he have a connection to Nebraska? Geographically it seems like an odd guy to be able to recruit to NU given all the options he would have in the region. I don't recall a ton of recruiting effort going into pulling kids from the Southeast. I'm not complaining... just curious.
Yes he does but i'm not sure how. He's been to multiple Nebraska football and baseball games. This is the best non-pitching recruit we've had since Boldt in my opinion.

Yes he does but i'm not sure how. He's been to multiple Nebraska football and baseball games. This is the best non-pitching recruit we've had since Boldt in my opinion.

That's good news. If he's near the level of Boldt I suspect that makes him a draft risk. Hopefully his passion for NU outweighs a low round draft pick option.

A little on why Luke committed to Nebraska...

A connection to Nebraska and a perfect fit helped Nebraska baseball land a commitment from 2019 corner infielder Luke Boynton over the weekend.

The Walton (Ga.) slugger attended a Nebraska camp in Lincoln about a year ago and after staying in regular contact with Nebraska assistant Ted Silva, decided to become a Husker.

I grew up a Nebraska football fan,” Boynton said. “My dad is from South Dakota and grew up in Nebraska, and my buddy Kennet (Sorenson) played on the same summer ball team I did, he’s a freshman at Nebraska. He’s been a big help too.

“The facilities are awesome. I kind of just came to the realization that my heart was in Nebraska and there was no point in going to other schools because it felt like home. The family environment is really big to me, so I figured there was no sense in going to visit the other schools I planned to go to. I told coach (Darin) Erstad I was ready to be a Cornhusker. He was excited. We were all excited. I’m super pumped.”

Boynton’s frame and power potential make him an intriguing piece to the puzzle for the Huskers’ 2019 class. The 6-foot-5, 220-pounder was a three-sport standout as a freshman, and was beginning to be recruited as a tight end by college programs, before he began focusing on baseball full-time.

While Boynton said that he has been known as a power hitter in the past, he is now hitting for a higher average as well. He hit .395 with 10 home runs as a sophomore.

“Really, it’s been hitting for average,” Boynton said of his improvement at the plate. “I’ve always had a good amount of power and now I can consistently barrel up baseballs and I’ve been hitting a lot more doubles and home runs. I used to be a singles, doubles guy, and now I’m hitting a lot of doubles and home runs, and average as well.

“They definitely see me as a middle-of-the-lineup guy hitting-wise. They see me at first base, but me and Silva talked. I’m pretty athletic for my size. I’m working on playing some corner outfield to expand my skill set.”

Boynton visited Nebraska last spring for the Huskers’ series against College of Charleston, and plans to return to Lincoln later this fall when the football team takes on Northwestern. He said Erstad’s experience in the Major Leagues was also appealing about the Huskers.

“The way coach Erstad goes about it, you’re not going to get anybody with more experience than him in college baseball,” Boynton said.

Boynton held an offer from Georgia Tech, and was hearing from Missouri, Tennessee and other SEC and ACC schools. He said teammates were initially surprised that he decided to commit to the Huskers, but felt the fit was best with the Big Red.

“I know my high school and summer teammates were a little surprised,” Boynton said. “I could have played SEC/ACC baseball, but I’m not about all the hype. I’m going where it’s a good fit for me.”

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Artic...oynton-commits-to-Nebraska-baseball-107365656

If we can hold on thru the 2018 season, our 2018 class is program changing. An ace throwing 94-95 mph, the two best left-handed pitchers in the state of Nebraska, another RHP throwing 91-92 from the state of Nebraska, and then Blessie who I believe is a legacy recruit throwing 93 out of Texas. Another LHP Shawver who pitched 55 innings and had 92 K's as well as a sub 1.00 ERA. Lastly, Schwellenbach out of Michigan is low 90s as well and might play in the field for us since he is over .400 hitting. You then add in Brett Hammitt a middle infielder from Missouri that passed up SEC offers and he is an absolute beast at the plate.

That recruiting class is nasty. Our staff will now have a tougher time recruiting Iowa, so it's important we get the best kids in-state now more than ever. We got 5 of the best 6 for the 2018 class. I'm not trying to speak hyperbole here, but this staff rivals what our football class is currently.

Last edited:
I am glad to see we are recruiting in the South. They play baseball almost all year round down here and have some many good players to recruit.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back