• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NEB vs IND - B10 TOURNEY - GAME #5 - 9 AM -5-26-16 - Thursday - AMERITRADE PARK

Despite our finish at #2, it was a tight quality grouping of teams in the Big 10 tournament mix. Our margin for error wasn't there even playing well WITH our only all-league first teamer in Schreiber in the lineup. We neither had him nor played well in these two games, hence the outcome. Agree, a huge disappointment (underachievement) given the locale. Hope it's not over for 2016 with a chance to maybe play loose and surprise someone in a regional.

I would really love to believe that this is true, but there is not a single Top 25 squad in the bunch. Nebraska lost to a seventh seed in the B1G tournament and then lost to the #1 seed that hasn't been playing anything like a top seed lately. Two and out of the conference tournament should never happen in the Big Ten--let alone at a tournament that you are hosting. For it to happen two years in a row leaves me quite frustrated with the direction of a program that was supposedly peaking at the end of the season.

It made a huge difference. I was there for both games. What were you doing?

Watching from home, although I don't know why it matters. Schreiber's lost bat did not account for 11 runs being given up in two games or the entire lineup being unable to muster any kind of offense.

Watching from home, although I don't know why it matters. Schreiber's lost bat did not account for 11 runs being given up in two games or the entire lineup being unable to muster any kind of offense.

No doubt, losing Schreiber hurts, but it didn't make a difference the way the team played the last two days.

What gets to me is not the losses necessarily (tournaments are tough and there really is a lot of parity in the league this year), but the way NU failed to show up again when it had a huge opportunity in front of it; unfortunately, that has been the most consistent aspect of this program in recent years. As soon as there is any momentum, opportunity or expectations rise, things fall apart, the play becomes very sloppy and uninspired, and frankly the team looks disinterested. The excuses really are getting old.

You are in the post season, with not only a chance to solidify your place in the NCAA tournament, but there is even an outside shot at playing your way into hosting. There really is no excuse to not show up and play so unmotivated.

Last edited:

Well, you made the point that all we had were advantages. And that wasn't true. Losing the hottest hitter in the nation at tournament time is decidedly not an advantage. And even more of a disadvantage facing two left-handed starters. Do we win with him? Who knows. But my point was it was a big deal, and had some guys hitting in new spots, and some who were frankly overmatched. A big, hot right-handed bat in the 4 or 5 hole could have added several runs, in games that were close late in the games.

No doubt, losing Schreiber hurts, but it didn't make a difference the way the team played the last two days.

What gets to me is not the losses necessarily (tournaments are tough and there really is a lot of parity in the league this year), but the way NU failed to show up again when it had a huge opportunity in front of it; unfortunately, that has been the most consistent aspect of this program in recent years. As soon as there is any momentum, opportunity or expectations rise, things fall apart, the play becomes very sloppy and uninspired, and frankly the team looks disinterested. The excuses really are getting old.

You are in the post season, with not only a chance to solidify you place in the NCAA tournament, but there is even an outside shot at playing your way into hosting. There really is no excuse to not show up and play so unmotivated.

We didn't play unmotivated. We're just not that good. We didn't play well, but the arguments that we didn't show up, didn't care, weren't motivated are not accurate. There is a ton of parity in the league. We need more talent in the program. But the guys tried, and the guys cared.

We didn't play unmotivated. We're just not that good. We didn't play well, but the arguments that we didn't show up, didn't care, weren't motivated are not accurate. There is a ton of parity in the league. We need more talent in the program. But the guys tried, and the guys cared.

Yes, I agree on their being motivated but outmatched. Losing Scott really put us in the hole. Ryan may have done better if Scott were in the lineup? Who knows? One can motivate others, inspirationally. It is too bad we did lose our hottest player. Yes, they did try, I'll give them that.

Last edited:

And so they couldn't play well why? If you saw motivated play, then we are just not going to agree on this, because I saw a team going thru the motions. This isn't an issue of talent, this is a mental hurdle in the program right now; every time the lights come on, the team fades out.

It's still a difficult pill to swallow.

Nebraska went into this tournament with as many positives and as much hope and momentum as we've seen in quite some time.

The hottest team in the Big Ten. The tournament returning to Omaha, which gives Nebraska -- by far -- the biggest homefield advantage any team in the conference could have regardless of location. Coming off a very disappointing 2015 season ... and seemingly a much better team in 2016.

And the Huskers had to know the opportunities the Big Ten tournament offered them. Win the tournament, and no less than a 2-seed. Talk of at least a small chance of hosting a regional. Even just make it to the championship game without winning it, and a 2-seed seemed likely -- even if going on the road. Win even just one game, and that would just about guarantee a slot in the NCAA tournament.

But ... 2 and BBQ ... is a disaster. Losing to two teams that really had struggled down the stretch of the regular season. And now, there are no guarantees. I still think the odds are in NU's favor of making the tournament as a 3-seed. But it's not a guarantee. You have to hope teams that weren't going to make it don't run the table and claim automatics, limiting NU's opportunities. And 4-seeds are almost always used for automatic qualifiers from the small conferences. So, it's basically hoping there's enough 3-seeds available.

But if we do make it ... then what? Obviously, it's somewhat a new season. But not necessarily what I'd call a success -- unless they can win a game or two in the regionals. They wouldn't have to make it to a Super Regional to call 2016 successful -- but if they flop in a regional like they did in the conference tourney, you could argue it was a failure.

A lot yet to-be-determined.

And so they couldn't play well why? If you saw motivated play, then we are just not going to agree on this, because I saw a team going thru the motions. This isn't an issue of talent, this is a mental hurdle in the program right now; every time the lights come on, the team fades out.

Sounds like the Bo Pelini era. :)

So is that mental hurdle potentially a coaching issue? (I don't think it's lack of motivation -- but it may be lack of being mentally prepared.)

Last edited:

Struggling to do well could be confused with being unmotivated, but these guys are competitive (uh, as are their opponents, folks), so let's dispense with the "didn't care" refrain. To explain the shortcomings leading to the "two and 'que", consider the season-long nemeses of inning leadoff BA and OBP. Over the two games, the BA was 0.118 (2 for 17) and the OBP was 0.167 (3 for 18). Not as though the rest of the innings produced much better, but it's tough to get things rolling with a quick out in 15 of your 18 innings. As with all baseball losses, these were pretty frustrating, especially given the promise that closed out the regular season, but they happen and, yeah, as fans they suck. I will contend, though, that the direction of the program is positive despite the week and would guess most everyone felt that way late last Saturday afternoon. It's baseball.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back