• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nate Gerry gets the nod

I understand this type of response from fans who didn't realize that our coaching staff sucked. There were quite a few players who ultimately quit trying to swim upstream. When it's one player, that's a player problem. When it's the majority of the team, that's a coaching problem.

I'm not nominating him for any type of courage award. Just countering all the posters that started ragging on him as a quitter. Seems like some of the people wanting to rag on him were the same ones who have always defended MR.

I don't know if it's analagous, but I think Ross Pilkington may say "hey" here. A lot of people threw him under the bus for 'quitting', when it turns out he was correct, as were Maliek Collins, Vincent Valentine....and the rest in both eras who saw mediocrity and incompetence and ultimately wouldn't stand for it.

Unfortunately it took a guy like Paul Meyers and the money he brought in walking out the door, or complete failure on the field, to make the defenders of these incompetent tools to open their eyes to what was going on.

I don't know if it's analagous, but I think Ross Pilkington may say "hey" here. A lot of people threw him under the bus for 'quitting', when it turns out he was correct, as were Maliek Collins, Vincent Valentine....and the rest in both eras who saw mediocrity and incompetence and ultimately wouldn't stand for it.

Unfortunately it took a guy like Paul Meyers and the money he brought in walking out the door, or complete failure on the field, to make the defenders of these incompetent tools to open their eyes to what was going on.

I'm not getting this idea that there's any scenario where quitting is "OK," or somehow warranted. I understand that there are situations and circumstances where quitting is the choice that people make – but as a parent to two small kids, there's never going to be a moment where I condone it, or encourage it.

If Nate were my son, and he came to me complaining about how lousy and incompetent the new coach was – I'd probably sit him down on the couch and say something to the effect of...

So I get that you're not a fan of the new coach. Maybe he's NOT that good. Maybe he's downright terrible. But you need to figure out how to work with him, because this isn't going to be the last time in your life you've got to work with people, or for people that you just don't agree with. So consider this great practice. Because it WILL happen again to you. In fact, it will probably happen quite a lot.

Now I understand that you're not happy with how things have gone, but that's no reason to not give it your best. I didn't raise you to "check out" when things get tough. And quite frankly, if you don't want to play for this new coach – then don't. Maybe you're not playing for him anymore.

But you SHOULD be playing for all the people who created this opportunity for you. A lot of people have given their time and effort to put you in this position.

You SHOULD be playing for those kids watching. They're looking up to you.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY – your teammates just elected you team captain, right? Congratulations! That's terrific. It goes to show how much they respect you and look up to you. If this new coach is as wacky as you say, it sounds like they're going to need you an awful lot to help them through this season. Don't let 'em down.

Last edited:
Good luck to Nate in Philly. Hope he's a star.

On the senior season follies, I'm not sure I understand the 'MR sucks so I can mail it in' thought process. Gerry's effort, commitment and living up to his responsibilities are his and his alone regardless of the staff in place. He gets a bogey to some degree since MR and staff didn't recruit him and weren't the reason he was at Nebraska, but I still don't think your coach sucking clears the way for quitting. I can't tell you how many guys I've talked to through the years who had a 'crappy' coach who just didn't understand how good a player they were and how badly the 'crappy coach' impacted their playing careers.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that in the season that Nate Gerry hung it up we started 7-0 and got into the top ten. From my understanding Nate stopped going to class very early in the school year so he had quit on a team that was climbing to polls and undefeated. I don't care how bad your coaches are you stay in the fight with your BROTHERS on the team. Those of you defending Nate's actions seem to have very little to any understanding of what it means to be a teammate and I am extremely glad I never had the misfortune of playing on a team with you,

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that in the season that Nate Gerry hung it up we started 7-0 and got into the top ten. From my understanding Nate stopped going to class very early in the school year so he had quit on a team that was climbing to polls and undefeated. I don't care how bad your coaches are you stay in the fight with your BROTHERS on the team. Those of you defending Nate's actions seem to have very little to any understanding of what it means to be a teammate and I am extremely glad I never had the misfortune of playing on a team with you,

Agree 100%. Talented athlete, but he was Captain Quitter in 2017. Poor form...

Maybe he did not consider the consequences of not attending classes. I think the issue people are having is you claiming he gave up on the team.

I have been a college athlete, and 25 years ago you knew if you didn't go to class that at some point it would threaten your eligibility. I can't imagine any college institution with any integrity is any different. When he stopped going to class Nebraska was in the conversation of the college football playoff, in hindsight we obviously weren't good enough. What I am saying is that he quit going to class when the team was still undefeated, climbing in polls, and the possibility of a bowl game that matters was still on the table. I don't understand how you can possibly think that is not giving up on the team. That is giving up on a season when you are still undefeated and I am sure there were people on that team that still thought big things were possible. Nate Gerry not only disrespected his teammates but the very traditions of what it means to be a Nebraska Cornhusker football player, yet alone a team elected captain. He is not the first nor the last to ever do that but his actions are on Nate Gerry not the coaching staff.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back