• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nate Gerry gets the nod

For a minute I was thinking he had another year of NCAA eligibility.

Would love to have Gerry this season as we're trying to figure out the LB situation.

Pass. Great talent but a poor team player.
Just curious why you think that?
He screwed up the bowl game his senior year but I wouldn't call him a poor team player, there were times he was the only one laying the wood.
I agree, I like Gerry and hope he has a great pro career.

Nate certainly didn't help himself his senior year but I put it all in perspective. I don't think he was ever one that really bought off on the MR system and staff (to his credit) but he was one that also needed a better accountability system which MR didn't believe in. Like him or not......Bo made people go to class. MR knew long before the bowl game that Gerry wasn't going to classes and would never be qualified and didn't do anything to stop it.

There's a scene from Remember The Titans where Coach Boone tells his players that they will not only attend all classes, but they will sit in the front row of said classes, and earn good grades in said classes.

Always reminded me a bit of Pelini.

Nate certainly didn't help himself his senior year but I put it all in perspective. I don't think he was ever one that really bought off on the MR system and staff (to his credit) but he was one that also needed a better accountability system which MR didn't believe in. Like him or not......Bo made people go to class. MR knew long before the bowl game that Gerry wasn't going to classes and would never be qualified and didn't do anything to stop it.
To the bold. Are you saying it is to his CREDIT that he never bought in?

Sorry. But if you are on a team you either buy in or get gone IMO.

Just curious why you think that?

I'll just say that he never struck me as someone who fully bought into the "team" concept during the Mike Riley era. Sure MR might not have been a very good coach, but when you receive a full-ride scholarship to play D1 football, it's best to set a good example for underclassmen, be responsible for yourself, etc...

To the original comment, I'm not suggestion NG wasn't talented, or didn't do a lot of good things on the field. I'm just glad he is where he is (the NFL) and we are where we are.

When his playing days were over at NU, it felt like he was "done" being here too.

I'll just say that he never struck me as someone who fully bought into the "team" concept during the Mike Riley era. Sure MR might not have been a very good coach, but when you receive a full-ride scholarship to play D1 football, it's best to set a good example for underclassmen, be responsible for yourself, etc...

To the original comment, I'm not suggestion NG wasn't talented, or didn't do a lot of good things on the field. I'm just glad he is where he is (the NFL) and we are where we are.

When his playing days were over at NU, it felt like he was "done" being here too.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate that a lot. Good post.

To the bold. Are you saying it is to his CREDIT that he never bought in?

Sorry. But if you are on a team you either buy in or get gone IMO.
I absolutely think it was a credit to him. He knew the staff sucked. But he had no control over that. SE didn't ask him. But it was his only ticket to trying to get into the NFL. He wasn't the only one........the entire team gave up the next year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back