• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

N2FL Ranks the 2018 Commits

I appreciate your response yet find it interesting that you overlook how much influence a kicker can have on a season. Can be the difference between 11-1 or 9-3/8-4.

Not sure where you got the idea that I overlooked the influence of a kicker. Quite the opposite actually...

Started this thread: https://forum.huskermax.com/index.php?threads/k-barret-pickering.95346/

Had this to say:

Absolutely agree. I'm sure some may argue that with such a small class, using a spot on a kicker is unwise. But having a reliable kicker that can be counted on can make all the difference, just ask NC State last year.... missing a 33 yard chip shot to knock off Clemson.

Or on the flip side of things, Wisconsin two years ago... :Banghead:

And started this thread after he committed:

https://forum.huskermax.com/index.p...-nation-in-the-2018-class-from-alabama.95606/

Shake my head at the fact that you actually expect someone to rank/project a kicker compared to other position players...

Last edited:
Not sure where you got the idea that I overlooked the influence of a kicker. Quite the opposite actually...

Started this thread: https://forum.huskermax.com/index.php?threads/k-barret-pickering.95346/

Had this to say:

And started this thread after he committed:

https://forum.huskermax.com/index.p...-nation-in-the-2018-class-from-alabama.95606/

Shake my head at the fact that you actually expect someone to rank/project a kicker compared to other position players...
Why not? Either he deserves his four stars or he doesn't. None of us actually know if this kid is destined to be a star for DONU, or if that kid fails to live up to expectations.

It's fun to speculate about it. Why are kickers exempt from that speculation?

Its been like 45 seconds....where does Goodrich land in this list?
I'm gonna go #4. But that is mainly because Fuller is sounding super solid, which isn't even the basis for the ranking. I'm weak.

1. CB Brendan Radley-Hiles (California) recruited by Donte Williams
2. Ath. Mario Goodrich (Missouri) recruited by Donte Williams
3. Ath. Cameron Jurgens (Nebraska)
4. Ath. Chase Williams (California) recruited by Donte Williams and Keith Williams
5. WR Manuel Allen (California) recruited by Keith Williams
6. Ath. Eric Fuller (California) recruited by Keith Williams and Donte Williams
7. WR Cameron Brown (Missouri) recruited by Keith Williams
8. DE Tate Wildeman (Colorado) recruited by Bob Diaco and John Parrella
9. OL Will Farniok (South Dakota) recruited by Mike Cavanaugh
10. DT Masry Mapieu (Nebraska) recruited by John Parrella

* K Barret Pickering (Alabama)

Really gotta love the class these coaches are putting together. Getting tough to rank these kids and not feel awkward with a certain number across from such a talented kid - but with so many outstanding players jumping on board it is what it is. Just have never ranked a Husker class that has a talent like Eric Fuller at No. 6.

I could basically justify any order from 2-6. When 7 of your 10 players are a four-star according to at least two services (and five are consensus), you know the coaches are killing it.

4. Ath. Chase Williams (California) recruited by Donte Williams and Keith Williams

In the recruiting post on Mario I noted that there is a doubt on Eric Fuller being N. is that true and if so is it our choice or his? Especially since you have him listed as our #6 rank

i'm curious do you ever change the rankings of the players WITHIN the list as the season goes along?

Mike Schaefer chimes in: http://nebraska.247sports.com/Bolt/How-I-rank-them-2018-class-52993448

Here’s how I would order them based on need, potential and my own opinion of their ability:

11. Masry Mapieu — Unfortunately, someone has to be last and while I think Mapieu has a ton of ability and upside, he’s also the furthest away from contributing at this time. The belief in recruiting is that the coaching staff is always looking to find someone better. Mapieu has talent, but he’ll need to show it early and often.

10. Will Farniok — Nebraska added this younger brother of current Husker Matt Farniok in April. At center, Will could carve out a nice role and could really pay pretty big dividends with strong interior play. However, there’s no shortage of players in front of him, including Michael Decker and possibly John Raridon if he gets moved back to the spot.

9. Eric Fuller — Toyed with moving him one spot further down the list. Fuller is gifted athletically, there’s little question about that. It remains to be seen what position he’ll play in college and where if he ultimately remains part of the class.

8. Manuel Allen — This isn’t a knock on Allen, he’s a good receiver and one the Huskers are going to get a lot out of, but he’s not quite as athletically gifted as the one that will go ahead of him on this list. Allen could flourish early like Stanley Morgan, who isn’t the fastest either, but he’ll need to come in mature and ready to contribute.

7. Barret Pickering — I’ve said all along that getting a scholarship kicker makes a ton of sense and now the Huskers have one of the best in the country. Pickering will replace Drew Brown from day one and if all goes right, the debates that raged this spring will be put to bed early.

6. Tate Wildeman — The first of two big sleepers for me in this class. Wildeman is one of my favorites. A potential multiyear starter and he’s an absolute perfect fit for a 3-4 defensive end based on what Bob Diaco has recruited in the past. Wildeman is big, strong, has a terrific motor and has been overlooked. Could end up being one of the biggest steals in the class.

5. Mario Goodrich — Outstanding athlete, could end up on offensive side of ball, but more likely the Huskers build him into either a cornerback or a safety. Goodrich has the sort of athleticism that Monte Harrison had, which is to say, he’s usually the best player on the field. There’s a ton of upside here. Could easily move up the list.

4. Cameron Brown — The second of my sleepers. Brown is athletically gifted in ways most Nebraska receivers haven’t been in the past. He’s got track speed and combines it with a 40-inch vertical. Brown is raw, he’ll have to learn the position, but he’s got Keith Williams for that. Expecting a big season out of this Christian Brothers College product.

3. Cameron Jurgens — Still one of my favorites from a potential standpoint. Don’t grade Jurgens on his high school production — he’s often asked to do more than he will in Lincoln and teams can just focus on him most of the time. Instead, Jurgens will get an opportunity to come to Nebraska, learn how to play tight end and use his athleticism and power to wear down the second level of defenses.

2. Chase Williams — Perhaps a bit of a surprise, but several different analysts have told me over the past few weeks that this guy is the real deal. Williams is a lot like Brown and Goodrich, in that he’s a tremendous athlete. However, based on his play in recent camps, he seems to have really grown as a cornerback and could challenge No. 1 on this list at The Opening in July.

1. Brendan Radley-Hiles — The king stay the king. Bookie, as he’s known by the fans, is Nebraska’s top commit for a variety of reasons. He’s got terrific football IQ, he’s gifted on the field, he’s physical in a way most players never get to, he can help in every phase of the game and he’s got a motor that never stops, even when off the field.

2. Ath. Chase Williams (California) recruited by Donte Williams and Keith Williams
3. Ath. Mario Goodrich (Missouri) recruited by Donte Williams
4. Ath. Cameron Jurgens (Nebraska)
6. DE Tate Wildeman (Colorado) recruited by Bob Diaco and John Parrella
7. OL Will Farniok (South Dakota) recruited by Mike Cavanaugh
8. DT Masry Mapieu (Nebraska) recruited by John Parrella

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back