• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

my thoughts based on emotion

My emotions based on thoughts: ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I worry I don't have enough years left to see the next pinnacle of Husker Football!
But you're damn thankful you saw the winningest, most consistent program out there, by a wide margin, for 4+ decades. I am. Damn thankful.

In fact, Nebraska, even with its struggles the past 15 years, has still won more than anyone, by a wide margin for, the past 55 years. Still! That should say how much this program has won for more than a half century. The stats are right here. Sell that!

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...=1962&end=2016&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct

I want Nebraska to win so much. I want Mike Riley to win so much.

I think I want it so much that it has clouded my ability to think rationally.

Heck, I'm the idiot that predicted 11-1 in the predict our record contest.

At this point I've come to the realization that it might be time to move on. It's really up to how the next 6 games go (it is too much to ask for a miracle?). And it will be up to the "powers that be" to make the ultimate decision.

However it turns out, I'll be rooting for our coach next year 100%.

On emotions only it feels like a dating dilemma in my mind....Do we ask the cute girl (most likely out of my league), the girl we think will actually go with me, or just go with our current friends and have a couple beverages?

How this relates to the current football situation is that we could shoot for the moon and get a 'name' coach. We may get shot down, but hey we tried. There will be lots of new drama and even higher expectations. We may have to wait three years to see if it works.

We could get another Solich, Callahan, Pelini, coaches that had no head coaching experience and hope to get lucky and they turn into a beauty queen. More of the same as last 20 years? Once again, at least a three year investment?

Or stay status quo and hope Riley can leverage the young talent into a winning team we can be proud of. We should know much more in about 6 weeks.

Right now I am not thinking I should be looking at other coaches just yet. In most cases I am just drinking, dating is a tough business. :)

Improvement MUST be measured by results on the field. I'm okay with giving Riley time so long as we're bettering each season's record the next year by about two games.

Win 5 games? Better win 7 next. Win 7 games? Shoot for 9.

Until you get to double-digit wins, there needs to be steadily increasing wins season over season.

Once you win 9, you're fired.

Start over.

Last edited:
Other than emotion, what are concrete results that indicate this thing is moving in the right direction. You can’t say recruiting, because there is nothing definitive at this point. If we finish 4-5 wins it’ll fall apart.
I don't think I said it is moving in the right direction, I believe I said it isn't a total dumpster fire like Callhahan's last year, and that I would like to give it a couple more years to see if he is going to move it the right way.

Ding, ding, ding. His 10 or 15 years with Banker wasn’t enough? Bruce Reed? His offense today is basically what he ran in 2006 when he “jammed it down USC’s throat” to the tune of 89 yards. No tempo. No QB run game. No evolution. Mind boggling complexity.

Riley is like a half baked cinamon roll. It looks tasty. You take a first bite and its not too bad but as you move on you discover its soft, gooey and not very appetizing at the core.

I don’t necessarily agree but damn that’s a funny analogy.

I don't think I said it is moving in the right direction, I believe I said it isn't a total dumpster fire like Callhahan's last year, and that I would like to give it a couple more years to see if he is going to move it the right way.
Some people might think losing to a low level MAC school and having any opponent rush for 300+ yards in Memorial stadium is a dumpster fire. I just hope someone doesn’t hang 70 on us ala KS.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back