• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

my thoughts based on emotion

Californication

Charlie Brown
15 Year Member
I am sick at where Nebraska is at right now, but I really want Nebraska to succeed under Riley. I like him. I like that it appears he is still learning (though a 40 year coach maybe should already know some of this stuff?), I love that he embraces what Nebraska aspires to be the way Nebraska aspires to get there, that he believes he can recruit to Nebraska and that he has made tough decisions with his coaches.

I hope that he gets until his first real class are seniors before a decision is made unless we absolutely fall apart. This may not be popular, and after the NIU loss I was ready for him to go, but I don't think its been such a dumpster fire that he should be let go and for us to start over. I do have doubts, but I am willing to believe he is taking the long view, not a quick fix, and doing it the right way may take longer than quicker, more short sighted fixes.

Of course, I also could be just full of crap.

Your last sentence may weaken the power of your argument just a tad. ;)

But the rest of it sensible. I do want to see the team improve relative to it's also-improving peers during the year, if that's what you mean by not falling apart. But if so, giving him more time is not only fair, it may be the fastest way to a decent football team.

Maybe NU should just take him at his word, give him an extension out to five years, and we can see what happens? Check back in 2022 and see how it's worked out.

may be a bit longer than I am willing to wait... ;o)
Give him 7, 8 years here. Hope we all live long enough to see it. Maybe by then, everyone will be cool with his 50-46 record at NU. Sellout streak will be far in the rear view mirror though, and apathy will have set in years prior, but hey, Nebraska tried. Respectable I reckon.

I have a feeling that MR got immense pressure to fire his staff. I believe he was told to do it. He had poor results at OSU with that crew and didn't fire them. SE lost his cover when Perlman left and MR is swinging in the wind without SE.

Honestly, I think Riley is trying to buy time. He didn't come in here with a sound plan...waited way too long to get his offense in place and had no clue defensively. I'm not buying his nice guy routine.

He talks about how it "takes time". He essentially wasted his first two years here in my opinion. His system should be completely in place on both sides of the ball at this point.

Last edited:

Give him 7, 8 years here. Hope we all live long enough to see it. Maybe by then, everyone will be cool with his 50-46 record at NU. Sellout streak will be far in the rear view mirror though, and apathy will have set in years prior, but hey, Nebraska tried. Respectable I reckon.

Nah, just two more, although five more might be worth it if you will film your head exploding.

I have a feeling that MR got immense pressure to fire his staff. I believe he was told to do it. He had poor results at OSU with that crew and didn't fire them. SE lost his cover when Perlman left and MR is swinging in the wind without SE.

maybe. I don't think so, but you might be right.

Honestly, I think Riley is trying to buy time. He didn't come in here with a sound plan...waited way too long to get his offense in place and had no clue defensively. I'm not buying his nice guy routine.

He talks about how it "takes time". He essentially wasted his first two years here in my opinion. His system should be completely in place on both sides of the ball at this point.
Ding, ding, ding. His 10 or 15 years with Banker wasn’t enough? Bruce Reed? His offense today is basically what he ran in 2006 when he “jammed it down USC’s throat” to the tune of 89 yards. No tempo. No QB run game. No evolution. Mind boggling complexity.

Riley is like a half baked cinamon roll. It looks tasty. You take a first bite and its not too bad but as you move on you discover its soft, gooey and not very appetizing at the core.

Last edited:

Nah, just two more, although five more might be worth it if you will film your head exploding.
Other than emotion, what are concrete results that indicate this thing is moving in the right direction. You can’t say recruiting, because there is nothing definitive at this point. If we finish 4-5 wins it’ll fall apart.

:Cheers:

Improvement MUST be measured by results on the field. I'm okay with giving Riley time so long as we're bettering each season's record the next year by about two games.

Win 5 games? Better win 7 next. Win 7 games? Shoot for 9.

Until you get to double-digit wins, there needs to be steadily increasing wins season over season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back