• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Gut Reaction on Bob Diaco

Is Bob Diaco a good hire?

• Yes

Votes: 109 97.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters

When we were made aware Diaco was an option, things moved quickly. Things are being ran like an NFL team, with Devaney as the GM.
Ever thought that all of the change is why the team doesn't play hard all of the time? Hey fella's bust your backsides for 'the guy' that has your best interests in mind - it's Bo Pelini, Rick Kaczenski, John Papuchis, Mark Banker, Bruce Read, Hank Hughes. Wait, it's actually none of those guys, its Bob Diaco, he's the guy that knows best. Now go get em!!

Ever thought that all of the change is why the team doesn't play hard all of the time? Hey fella's bust your backsides for 'the guy' that has your best interests in mind - it's Bo Pelini, Rick Kaczenski, John Papuchis, Mark Banker, Bruce Read, Hank Hughes. Wait, it's actually none of those guys, its Bob Diaco, he's the guy that knows best. Now go get em!!
I think the continuity is a big part of it... but I think it's more who you get. For example, Westerkamp and company were pissed to see Rich Fisher leave, but when he was replaced by Williams it was extremely well received. Firing Kaz for Hank Hughes couldn't have been worse.

Have you experienced coaching changes? Since you are making statements that are assuming results, I'd guess you must have. If not, and having been a part a few over my career, it's not as devastating as you appear to suggest. Initially there is a sting, a feeling of loss, but it passes very quickly, especially when the new coach can bring their knowledge to the process. Players are thinking about the game, not the politics of a program, at least they wouldn't be if you didn't have clowns in the media speculating about ghosts in the machine. If you are speculating why a player plays without fire, that can be numerous reasons, including a feeling you don't have the players to compete. Missing 4 or 5 key players can take the air out of the balloon quick, especially when you know the level of talent behind them.

Last edited:
Even though you are massively incorrect, you're still adorable.

I brought this up in another thread that while we may think this is exclusive to our program, I think it's the nature of college football going forward. There is so much money involved with a program, so much reliant on the revenue generated, I can see why they want another set of eyes on the target. Sometimes the hardest deficiencies to see are the ones closest to us.

We always like to point to TO in all things Husker football, but look at Tom in the early years. He had Bob to mentor him to a degree. That other set of eyes. Alvarez was that at Wisconsin as well. Tom tried to be that for BO as well, as I think he felt not being that for Frank hurt. In our current situation you have SE knowing we need to change the dynamics of the program, and he understands he doesn't have the knowledge base to be the sole support for Riley. Insert football expert Devaney. He is the other set of eyes. He can evaluate the staff and talent without the personal relationship issues Riley may struggle with.

I seriously doubt this was a gun to the head, replace him or else move. I'm sure they showed in detail the deficiencies of Banker and the likely upside of making the change. It may have been a little grudgingly, but I'm sure as bright as Riley is, he saw the positives of making the change, though it may have been unpleasant.

I brought this up in another thread that while we may think this is exclusive to our program, I think it's the nature of college football going forward. There is so much money involved with a program, so much reliant on the revenue generated, I can see why they want another set of eyes on the target. Sometimes the hardest deficiencies to see are the ones closest to us.

We always like to point to TO in all things Husker football, but look at Tom in the early years. He had Bob to mentor him to a degree. That other set of eyes. Alvarez was that at Wisconsin as well. Tom tried to be that for BO as well, as I think he felt not being that for Frank hurt. In our current situation you have SE knowing we need to change the dynamics of the program, and he understands he doesn't have the knowledge base to be the sole support for Riley. Insert football expert Devaney. He is the other set of eyes. He can evaluate the staff and talent without the personal relationship issues Riley may struggle with.

I seriously doubt this was a gun to the head, replace him or else move. I'm sure they showed in detail the deficiencies of Banker and the likely upside of making the change. It may have been a little grudgingly, but I'm sure as bright as Riley is, he saw the positives of making the change, though it may have been unpleasant.

I don't think Riley necessarily had to be convinced. He saw the same things we all did.

No one gives a rats ass who made the decision or what you think about it. It's done and most of us are looking forward.

It's funny, when I go on to YouTube I'll pull up a great song and see that it has 5,000 likes and 12 thumbs down. I always wonder who those people are who are constantly in that small minority that just doesn't "get it." I have a feeling that's your crowd.
Oh God Thank You. Bout time someone said it.

I think the continuity is a big part of it... but I think it's more who you get. For example, Westerkamp and company were pissed to see Rich Fisher leave, but when he was replaced by Williams it was extremely well received. Firing Kaz for Hank Hughes couldn't have been worse.
Is Diaco a better coach, recruiter and strategist than Banker? Probably.

Is Diaco gone on to greener pastures in 2 years either to a HC job or by the ousted Riley regime? Probably.

Deja vu, all over again.

Is Diaco gone on to greener pastures in 2 years either to a HC job or by the ousted Riley regime? Probably.

Deja vu, all over again.
If he does well enough at NU to go to greener pastures then it will have been a success.

Firing Hughes for Parella couldn't have been better. :) There will be a lot of 'yo-yo' going on these kids lives, they might want to get used to it, especially if they play pro ball.

Deja vu, all over again.

Just like your posts.

Why waste time worrying about what Diaco will be doing in 2 years? If he leaves to be a HC then it can only mean he kicked butt for 2 years. If he's gone along with the rest of the staff then they obviously didn't get the job done. I'll gladly enjoy the "process" and let it unfold instead of speculating or worrying.

I can see your point but these kids (or most of them) are smart enough to know if things go better all is good. They will bond just fine if they win or at least play better. If they lose than I am sure it has to be tough to play for a new coach.

GET TICKETS

Back