• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Gut Reaction on Bob Diaco

Is Bob Diaco a good hire?

• Yes

Votes: 109 97.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters

Will be eagerly awaiting the breakdown on the 3-4 vs 4-3.

Where ya skiing at? If it's in CO, enjoy the epic powder. Been absolutely dumping up in the mountains the last week out here.

Last edited:
I'd say you know way more about this than your average guy on here, me included. But this just seems like a really good hire, and sure, the timing isn't perfect, but it's the one thing that Nebraska has been truly missing since McBride retired, a really good D HC. Pelini, seemed to have to much on his plate after his brother was fired and he wasn't able to over come being both the HC and DC. I think this is a great hire, but, truly, only time will tell.

Last edited:

My impression - Diaco was a great college linebacker. He is a confident, slick, talker, which is not surprising since he is from NJ. He has lots of charisma, smarts, and energy. He will give the UNL program a big boost of positive energy. I think it is a very good hire. For a coach, he is still young. I think he will be a HC again one day...maybe at UNL.

Here he is at the 2016 AAC media days, sitting next to Scott Frost. For what it is worth, Scott beat Diaco this year in a close game at East Hartford. I was at that game. Diaco was very demonstrative and energetic on the sidelines. He was jumping up and down a lot. His sideline antics remind me of PJ Fleck & Brent Venables. He'll be fun to watch on game days. Diaco speaks at the 6:20 mark of the video.

Last edited:
My impression - Diaco was a great college linebacker. He is a confident, slick, talker, which is not surprising since he is from NJ. He has lots of charisma, smarts, and energy. He will give the UNL program a big boost of positive energy. I think it is a very good hire. For a coach, he is still young. I think he will be a HC again one day...maybe at UNL.

Here he is at the 2016 AAC media days, sitting next to Scott Frost. For what it is worth, Scott beat Diaco this year in a close game at East Hartford. I was at that game. Diaco was very demonstrative and energetic on the sidelines. He was jumping up and down a lot. His sideline antics remind me of PJ Fleck & Brent Venables. He'll be fun to watch on game days. Diaco speaks at the 6:20 mark of the video.

Great hire, but one of the most boring talkers ever in CFB. What could be said in 100 words, he uses about 1000 words. Slick? Hardly...keep him away from the media...coach the defense Bob, just coach.

Great hire, but one of the most boring talkers ever in CFB. What could be said in 100 words, he uses about 1000 words. Slick? Hardly...keep him away from the media...coach the defense Bob, just coach.

He was serving a different role at his former school and during that interview. Lot's of required coach speak there. I agree he will be focused on coaching the D more so than being the primary ambassador of the FB team.

I like the hire. I like his background and energy. The scheme shift is what concerns me.

My question is what could he do to achieve a quick turnaround with the talent on hand and the recruits coming in as they weren't recruited to the 3-4 he is supposedly going to install?
At least I think it would be easier to go from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

I appreciate your insight, Adam. I guess we don't have the massive nose guard to fill the middle yet, but wonder if several can be created in the weight room out of our existing pool. But what I've heard is that without the typical rush ends we have needed, the 3-4 may be a better fit with our abundance of LBs. True?

Last edited:
I guess I wouldn't be 100% sure he goes full 3-4 right away. A 4-3 under isn't that far removed from a 3-4 and would stick to a 1 gap scheme. Wade Phillips ran a 3-4 but his linemen 1 gap for the Broncos. Of course, he had Von Miller and Demarcus Ware....

I think he will have to look at the personnel and make some decisions short term and long term

As I have said before, this hire will certainly help determine how soon Riley retires. The dynamics of meshing the coaching personalities on the defensive side of the ball is going to be fun to watch afree adding a fiery DC to the mix. If the scheme is changed, believing in it as a player is going to be the first place to start.

We'll see if Diaco has any recruits who he can bring to the mix or help close on...Daniels. Maybe, he is the final piece to get Shelf in on campus...not holding my breath on that one.

Any way, Adam always ends his podcast with "Remember to always throw the bones!" It sure would be nice to see a Blackshirt D that is doing it on a consistent basis...especially on most 3rd downs. Hopefully, Disco can help with that.

Last edited:
It isn't just either or. Good defenses do both and mixtures of each. The real stud in the middle is harder to find than rush ends, but I assume that energy and enthusiasm will go a long way to overcome that, at least in the beginning. Maybe he had his eyes on one at his last stop. I like his East coast connections and his energy. That he can do well with talent is evidenced by his ND experience, and that he doesn't do quite so well without talent (surprise!) by the U Conn experience. We'll see how he takes to us and our talent pool. But I doubt our main set on defense will be described as a pure 3/4 next September. Mainly, I expect our defense to not collapse as it did in a couple of cases this year. He won't let them.

It will be interesting to see if he pushes for someone he knows that knows the 3/4 to accompany him on the staff.

I believe that if Diaco had not come available that we would still have Banker as the DC. My reasoning is that MR has probably been "looking" for a top flight DC, and Diaco hit the market at just the right time. I'm not sure there were any other candidates at that high level available.

GET TICKETS

Back