• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked My favorite 2017 recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna go with Daniels right now, as well as the other two DTs Watts and Thomas. They are my favorites not because I think they are the best recruits, or will play this year, but all three seem like very good prospects, came in at a position of need and will hopefully help us build the depth we need desperately need on the D line if not this year, than next.

I don't know about favorite, but Damion Daniels, Deontre Thomas and Guy Thomas were big gets because
A) They are very good talents
B) They are great system fits

Avery Roberts is the most talented LB recruit Nebraska has signed out of HS in a VERY long time. I really hope Diaco starts him from day 1. As an early enrollee he will get to be around while the new defense is put together. Unless he is completely lost, I start him and let him grow with this defense from day 1. Elijah Blades is also huge because a shutdown CB is like "gold" as Riley says. Any time you get elite talent at CB you gotta be happy. If Blades develops into another Amukamara, that's huge for this defense. And every time you sign a guy like Blades, that is a distinct possibility.

Sichterman and Jaimes are also important because they are four-star talents on the o-line and history shows that if you have a great o-line, you can hang with most teams. Look at the Washington-Alabama game. The only spot where UW wasn't equal to Bama was the o-line. If the Huskies had a better o-line, they could have won that game. Sichertman can play all 3 spots on the o-line and Jaimes is the teams LT of the future IMPO.

But if I had to go with the most important recruit, it might be Gebbia. Any team in football - college or NFL - that wants to compete for championships better have an elite QB. How often do we see a team playing for a title with a average QB? Especially on the college level. Just doesn't happen. Nebraska is rebuilding that QB room in a BIG way. Tanner Lee, Patrick O'Brien and Tristan Gebbia are custom made for Langsdorf and his offense. Langsdorf has turned lesser talent coming out of HS into NFL players. His resume speaks for itself. Chances are, one or both of his HS guys will pan out and Nebraska will be a team to recon with because of it. As long as Nebraska recruits at the level they currently are (better is always welcomed, of course) in that they are ranked in the 18-22 range - AND they are bringing in a four-star talent and system fit at QB like POB and Gebbia every year, Nebraska is going to be a team you have to worry about on Saturdays.

Tristan for sure, the kid is going to be special, why do you think Tyjon switched from the Buckeyes? :Rockon:
But, I also can't wait to see the whole bunch, got some real gems this year.

But if I had to go with the most important recruit, it might be Gebbia. Any team in football - college or NFL - that wants to compete for championships better have an elite QB. How often do we see a team playing for a title with a average QB? Especially on the college level. Just doesn't happen. Nebraska is rebuilding that QB room in a BIG way. Tanner Lee, Patrick O'Brien and Tristan Gebbia are custom made for Langsdorf and his offense. Langsdorf has turned lesser talent coming out of HS into NFL players. His resume speaks for itself. Chances are, one or both of his HS guys will pan out and Nebraska will be a team to recon with because of it. As long as Nebraska recruits at the level they currently are (better is always welcomed, of course) in that they are ranked in the 18-22 range - AND they are bringing in a four-star talent and system fit at QB like POB and Gebbia every year, Nebraska is going to be a team you have to worry about on Saturdays.

I don't think Alabama's QB this past year played like an elite QB, but that's just me. He seemed avg at best throwing the ball, though...and wasn't that great of a runner either. Just has a great team around him, particularly on defense and on O-Line.

Last edited:
I don't think Alabama's QB this past year played like an elite QB, but that's just me. He seemed avg at best throwing the ball, though...and wasn't that great of a runner either. Just has a great team around him, particularly on defense and on O-Line.

That's your opinion I suppose. I saw a true freshman who threw for 2780 yards with 23 TD and just 9 TD and a 62.8% comp. All while rushing for 954 yards (Alabama record for a QB) and another 13 TDs. His 36 TDs responsible for set an Alabama record btw. Also, his 3,734 yards of total offense were the second-highest single-season total in Crimson Tide history. Became the only player in school history to rush for 100 yards and pass for 300 or more in a single game when he did so against Mississippi State.

Jalen Hurts was SEC Offensive Player of the Year, Unanimous 1st-team All-SEC, a finalist for the Manning Award, a semifinalist for the Walter Camp Player of the Year and a semifinalist for the Davey O’Brien Award.

We have different opinions of average.

Last edited:
That's your opinion I suppose. I saw a true freshman who threw for 2780 yards with 23 TD and just 9 TD and a 62.8% comp. All while rushing for 954 yards (Alabama record for a QB) and another 13 TDs. His 36 TDs responsible for set an Alabama record btw. Also, his 3,734 yards of total offense were the second-highest single-season total in Crimson Tide history. Became the only player in school history to rush for 100 yards and pass for 300 or more in a single game when he did so against Mississippi State.

Jalen Hurts was SEC Offensive Player of the Year, Unanimous 1st-team All-SEC, a finalist for the Manning Award, a semifinalist for the Walter Camp Player of the Year and a semifinalist for the Davey O’Brien Award.

We have different opinions of average.

I would happily take that "average" QB here.

I'd say. Dude came in year 1 fresh outta HS and was better than Nebraska's 4-year starter, owner of several school records.

Which is why there was so much thought to go ahead and throw Obrien into the waters this year, especially early in non-con to get a live look at him. I still wonder why we didnt, with Gebbia here it wouldnt have hurt us to have that gap in QB years there IMO. Oh well, argument about the past but Im hopeful for the future now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back