• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Blue Jay pet, Peeves

I don't get the impression that Creighton fans on this board only root for them because they are winning.

On this board? No (or at least not that I have seen). In the "real" world? Absolutely. Just like people who are/have been fans of Oregon, LSU, Texas, LA Lakers, NY Yankees, Notre Dame, and any of dozens of other teams (Nebraska included) who have enjoyed a run of success.

And it is the "front runners" that drive me crazy. Look - I've been a fan of the Kansas City Royals since the early 80s. With the exception of 1985, being a Royals fan makes being a fan of Nebraska Basketball easy. But I have never been tempted to switch allegences to the Twins, Red Sox, or any other team that has won in the past 25+ years. That is just not how I'm wired.

On this board? No (or at least not that I have seen). In the "real" world? Absolutely. Just like people who are/have been fans of Oregon, LSU, Texas, LA Lakers, NY Yankees, Notre Dame, and any of dozens of other teams (Nebraska included) who have enjoyed a run of success.

And it is the "front runners" that drive me crazy. Look - I've been a fan of the Kansas City Royals since the early 80s. With the exception of 1985, being a Royals fan makes being a fan of Nebraska Basketball easy. But I have never been tempted to switch allegences to the Twins, Red Sox, or any other team that has won in the past 25+ years. That is just not how I'm wired.

I know Creighton sir, and they are no New York Yankees.

A Husker fan roots for the Huskers in ALL sports. Some are just Husker football fans. No big deal.

People who despise "front runners" will...hopefully...have to deal with them when it comes to Nebraska basketball eventually.

Does anyone thing people would care as passionately about NU volleyball like they do if NU was just mediocre? No.

Baseball? When I was at UNL in the late 80's/early 90s nobody went to game. NOBODY. Then boom! NU becomes a power and all of a sudden there's a new stadium and 7,000+ at games. Many of whom were wearing Crouch and Frazier jersey's to games. Did that annoy some of the real die hard baseball fans? Shouldn't have. More fans brings more energy. It's more fun.

So, TO willing, NU will have a new coach soon. And if that coach gets it going there will be "new" fans. And that will be a good thing. And this particular message board will be a lot more active with more than just the handful of regulars.

Baseball? When I was at UNL in the late 80's/early 90s nobody went to game. NOBODY. Then boom! NU becomes a power and all of a sudden there's a new stadium and 7,000+ at games. Many of whom were wearing Crouch and Frazier jersey's to games. Did that annoy some of the real die hard baseball fans? Shouldn't have. More fans brings more energy. It's more fun.

To me that's a little annoying. Really, the only NU apparel you have is an out of date football jersey? Not one generic red t-shirt that says NEBRASKA on it? Other than that, I agree. Most schools/pro teams don't care about die-hards. You're hooked, and they know it.

People who despise "front runners" will...hopefully...have to deal with them when it comes to Nebraska basketball eventually.

Does anyone thing people would care as passionately about NU volleyball like they do if NU was just mediocre? No.

So, TO willing, NU will have a new coach soon. And if that coach gets it going there will be "new" fans. And that will be a good thing. And this particular message board will be a lot more active with more than just the handful of regulars.

I won't argue that front runners are the price you pay for being a successful team. I kinda miss the days when you could go over to the Buck and watch NU baseball with 75 other people.

As for the guys at Haymarket Park in their Crouch and Frazier jerseys - I guess I'd rather see a Nebraska football fan supporting another NU team by tossing on a football jersey than see that football fan supporting a different school by wearing their colors.

i have news for all of you reading this:

The evolution of the hybrid Nebraska/Creighton fan (i.e. Jaysker), isn't going away anytime soon.

In fact, its only going to grow, and grow, and grow.

You see, the Jays are averaging 16k per game, and a portion of that is kids going to the games with parents.

So what you're seeing, is a WHOLE generation of fans growing up with Bluejay basketball, in numbers never seen before at the Civic.

So if you're annoyed with this type of hybrid, get ready to be really, really annoyed in the years to come.

And as this hybrid fan base grows, I'm trying to think of a way to capitalize on it ($$$).

Any of you guys got any ideas I could tuck in my skull and take out and use to make money in 10-15 years?

i have news for all of you reading this:

The evolution of the hybrid Nebraska/Creighton fan (i.e. Jaysker), isn't going away anytime soon.

In fact, its only going to grow, and grow, and grow.

You see, the Jays are averaging 16k per game, and a portion of that is kids going to the games with parents.

So what you're seeing, is a WHOLE generation of fans growing up with Bluejay basketball, in numbers never seen before at the Civic.

So if you're annoyed with this type of hybrid, get ready to be really, really annoyed in the years to come.

And as this hybrid fan base grows, I'm trying to think of a way to capitalize on it ($$$).

Any of you guys got any ideas I could tuck in my skull and take out and use to make money in 10-15 years?

Sorry, I don't have any ideas. However, you're right, this dynamic isn't going anywhere. Anyone under the age of 18 who's lived in Omaha has grown up knowing that Creighton wins, and Nebraska doesn't. Also, Creighton has done an exceptional job over the past decade of increasing their presence in the Omaha community.

Right now you've got people who want to see both NU and CU do well, and will cheer for both basketball programs. It wouldn't surprise me, assuming Creighton sustains a similar level of success, that the younger generation cheering for Creighton won't care one bit for NU basketball.

Sorry, I don't have any ideas. However, you're right, this dynamic isn't going anywhere. Anyone under the age of 18 who's lived in Omaha has grown up knowing that Creighton wins, and Nebraska doesn't. Also, Creighton has done an exceptional job over the past decade of increasing their presence in the Omaha community.

Right now you've got people who want to see both NU and CU do well, and will cheer for both basketball programs. It wouldn't surprise me, assuming Creighton sustains a similar level of success, that the younger generation cheering for Creighton won't care one bit for NU basketball.
But honestly, we have shown over and over and over that Creighton's win come against the shallow gene pool they play in. In the last 8 season completed seasons, using the most respected and scientific independent ranking available, NU has been the better team 5 out of 8 times.

Over that same time, Creighton has more wins because in many years they only play 2-4 games against NCAA quality teams. Creighton has more NCAA bids because they have a easier route to the NCAAs.

But honestly, we have shown over and over and over that Creighton's win come against the shallow gene pool they play in. In the last 8 season completed seasons, using the most respected and scientific independent ranking available, NU has been the better team 5 out of 8 times.

Over that same time, Creighton has more wins because in many years they only play 2-4 games against NCAA quality teams. Creighton has more NCAA bids because they have a easier route to the NCAAs.

And you've been shown over and over that you are high as a kite. Your "8 years" is rather selective.

And if you had a clue you'd understand that Nebraska should be better than creight 8 out of 8 years.

CU does not have an easier route to the NCAA because they don't play in a conference where 1/2 or more of the teams make it. usually 2...sometimes 1...out of 10. So you can't have an off year in relation to your peers. You don't get 10-12 chances a year to beat a ranked team. Very very very little room for error. You, I think, are smarter than you are showing.

What are you trying to argue with your first point? That since Creighton plays in an inferior league that people should care less?

To your second point, it's debatable as to which team has the easier path. Creighton has a very small margin for error. It's likely that had Creighton lost 1 more regular season games, they'd be right on the bubble. In other words, 24 regular season wins for Creighton would not have been enough. While NU plays in a tougher conference, their margin for error isn't as small. Finishing in the top half of the B1G isn't that difficult. Win 7 of your home games (not unrealistic for competitive teams), and win 2 road games, and assuming you didn't blow chunks in non-conf, you're usually good to go.

Finishing in the top half of the B1G isn't that difficult. Win 7 of your home games (not unrealistic for competitive teams), and win 2 road games, and assuming you didn't blow chunks in non-conf, you're usually good to go.

.500 in conference and whooping up on a weak OOC is all you have to do. And it's not difficult beacuse 12 team conferences are always going to have a handful of easy wins....and a bunch of chances for that "quality" win. Jay doesn't know anything about college basketball that he doesn't read on Pomeroy's website.

After thinking about it, it's sort of funny that jay says "Creighton has more NCAA bids because they have an easier route to the NCAAs." It's funny, because I've never heard someone say that about a program. To actually believe that Creighton has more appearances based solely on an "easier path", rather than being a better program over the long haul, is just too funny.

What are you trying to argue with your first point? That since Creighton plays in an inferior league that people should care less?

To your second point, it's debatable as to which team has the easier path. Creighton has a very small margin for error. It's likely that had Creighton lost 1 more regular season games, they'd be right on the bubble. In other words, 24 regular season wins for Creighton would not have been enough. While NU plays in a tougher conference, their margin for error isn't as small. Finishing in the top half of the B1G isn't that difficult. Win 7 of your home games (not unrealistic for competitive teams), and win 2 road games, and assuming you didn't blow chunks in non-conf, you're usually good to go.

.500 in conference and whooping up on a weak OOC is all you have to do. And it's not difficult beacuse 12 team conferences are always going to have a handful of easy wins....and a bunch of chances for that "quality" win. Jay doesn't know anything about college basketball that he doesn't read on Pomeroy's website.

After thinking about it, it's sort of funny that jay says "Creighton has more NCAA bids because they have an easier route to the NCAAs." It's funny, because I've never heard someone say that about a program. To actually believe that Creighton has more appearances based solely on an "easier path", rather than being a better program over the long haul, is just too funny.

Listen guys: I appreciate you passion and support for Creighton. They are more successful than NU. I happy for you. I am not here to bash Creighton or Creighton/Husker fans. You are FREE to support who you want why you want.

I will ask that you have your facts straight with regards to statements I have made and statements of fact.

1. Would you agree that generally, the team with a higher NCAA tournament seed is considered the better team? (Of course, that is part of the definition of seeding.)
2. Do you agree that it is harder to get a 7 seed than it is to get a 10; harder to be a 6 seed than it is to be a 9 seed, etc.?
2. The worst team to get into the NCAA Tournament from the MVC has been a lower numbered seed than the worst team from the Big XII (the conference NU was in for those years) in just 2 of the past 8 seasons. (And just 3 of the past 8 season when compared to the Big X.)
3. So, in most years, the weakest NCAA team to get in from the MVC is weaker than the NCAA team to get in from the Big Xii (or Big X).
4. Why is this? It might be because winning the MVC is far easier for a bubble quality team than winning the Big XII title.
5. In 2011, a MVC went to the NCAA tournament because by beating just 1 team that was in the top 70. They went 1-2 against that team (winning on the third try) and 1-3 against Top 70 teams when you include their non-con results. When the NCAA Tournament tipped off, they were the 101st best team in the Nation. In 2011, NU went 5-7 against Top 70 teams. When the NCAA tournament tipped off, NU was the 45th best team in the nation. In 2011, which team was better, the MVC tournament winner ranked 101st or NU, a team that was 7-9 in conference and ranked 45th?
6. It is FALSE to say that NU only has to just finish in the top 1/2 of their conference to get to the NCAA Tournament. 6 times in the past 8 season, a Big XII team has finished in the top half of the conference and NOT gone to the NCAA Tournament (including NU in 2006) (and 6 times for the Big 10as well).
7. It is FALSE to say that NU just needs to finish .500 in conference to get the the NCAA Tournament. 9 times in the past 8 years, a Big XII team has finished .500 or better (including 2 10-6 teams) and not gone to the NCAA Tournament (including 2009 when NU finished 8-8) (This has happened 8 times in the Big X as well.)
8. To win the Big 12 tournament, you have to get past 2 to 4 teams that will be seeded 1-4. Only once in the past 8 season has MVC team every had to pay a #4 seed to win their title game.
9. In the past 4 season, no NCAA bound MVC team has played a single conference game against another NCAA bound team.
10. In Creighton's NCAA bound years of 2005 and 2007, they were ranked 41st and 44th. NU NU's non-NCAA years of 2004 and 2008, NU was ranked 34th and 34th.

In the past 8 season (but not 'all-time') Creighton has "more appearances based on an "easier path", rather than being a better program". The objective, third party, scientific facts support that statement.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back