• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Blue Jay pet, Peeves

Since you like Creighton so much why dont you spend your saturdays this fall chearing on the soccer team?? Thats what a fan of a program would do.

I do root for their soccer team. Final 4 team this year. Pretty impressive.

I do root for their soccer team. Final 4 team this year. Pretty impressive.

And, you should. Good for you. Doesn't mean you can't also root for Husker football.

This argument is so bush-league. I picture Fred and his minions petitioning TO to create a fan approval committee to decide who has the right to CHEER for Husker sports.

And, you should. Good for you. Doesn't mean you can't also root for Husker football.

This argument is so bush-league. I picture Fred and his minions petitioning TO to create a fan approval committee to decide who has the right to CHEER for Husker sports.

I root for all Nebraska teams...well....except for UNO now. UNO is dead to me as long as Trev Alberts is associated. The opinion of the small-minded fan-police not only doesn't matter...it only reinforces my fan habits.

My point was you cant root for Nebraska in one sport and against them in another and truly call yourself a Husker!

Ha ok. Well since i lived in Kansas for a few years it looks like according to you I am entitled to CHEER for them. Thanks for letting me know.

Actually, you are correct. You are entitled to cheer for whoever you'd like. There's no committee on fandom that can define whether that makes you less of a Husker fan.

I got my masters degree at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee and they've made a couple of tournament runs. I cheer for them. According to you, Fred, and others, that reduces my ability to be a Husker fan. I think that's funny.

Ha ok. Well since i lived in Kansas for a few years it looks like according to you I am entitled to CHEER for them. Thanks for letting me know.

You're entitled to cheer for whoever you want. Why do you need Weino's permission? Get a spine.

Actually, you are correct. You are entitled to cheer for whoever you'd like. There's no committee on fandom that can define whether that makes you less of a Husker fan.

I got my masters degree at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee and they've made a couple of tournament runs. I cheer for them. According to you, Fred, and others, that reduces my ability to be a Husker fan. I think that's funny.

I think there is a definite difference between supporting a school that you attended/graduated from versus supporting a school because they win.

I think there is a definite difference between supporting a school that you attended/graduated from versus supporting a school because they win.

Sure, but I also began to cheer for Marquette, because I had an opportunity to attend some games, meet Tom Crean in person (who I really like), and it was an exciting brand of basketball.

Here's the issue - some people really like college sports (I'm one of them). I will cheer for Nebraska basketball above anyone else, because I bleed red first. But, I taking a rooting interest in almost every game I watch, because I enjoy it - I have a list of underdog teams in both football and basketball that I enjoy watching.

I also became a North Carolina Tar Heel fan growing up because I saw Dean Smith as the Tom Osborne of college basketball. Because of that, I tend to cheer on the Tar Heels.

Huskers first, but a lot of other teams come after that because of my passion and excitement around college sports as a whole.

I don't get the impression that Creighton fans on this board only root for them because they are winning. bilsker, for example, has clearly stated that he was a Creighton fan even in the lean years, and has also always been a NU hoops fan. I don't see what's so wrong about this. Some people are NU fans and hate Creighton, some are Creighton fans but hate NU, some are both, some are neither.

As a college football fan I have other teams I like besides NU, none that I am more passionate about though, but I have such a love of the city of Seattle that I find myself a Huskies fan. I had no problem rooting for them this year even though they played the Huskers. When they played the Huskers I wanted UW to get smashed into the turf. No conflict.

Last edited:

Sure, but I also began to cheer for Marquette, because I had an opportunity to attend some games, meet Tom Crean in person (who I really like), and it was an exciting brand of basketball.

Here's the issue - some people really like college sports (I'm one of them). I will cheer for Nebraska basketball above anyone else, because I bleed red first. But, I taking a rooting interest in almost every game I watch, because I enjoy it - I have a list of underdog teams in both football and basketball that I enjoy watching.

I also became a North Carolina Tar Heel fan growing up because I saw Dean Smith as the Tom Osborne of college basketball. Because of that, I tend to cheer on the Tar Heels.

Huskers first, but a lot of other teams come after that because of my passion and excitement around college sports as a whole.

I couldnt agree with you more. I have other teams that i take an interest in. My initial point was you cant root for Nebraska in one sport and against them in another. I myself have a soft spot for KU having lived there for a few years but that doesnt mean I wouldnt love to see the Huskers beat them. I even went to Allen a couple of times sporting the red

I couldnt agree with you more. I have other teams that i take an interest in. My initial point was you cant root for Nebraska in one sport and against them in another. I myself have a soft spot for KU having lived there for a few years but that doesnt mean I wouldnt love to see the Huskers beat them. I even went to Allen a couple of times sporting the red

I think this is where the distinction that Dave was trying to draw comes into play - if you are an alumni (or grew up close to campus and are a lifetime fan) of that other university and the victory would mean more to that team than Nebraska (like Creighton, where there is no football team and the midmajor victory over a major conference team that is struggling and not going anywhere anyways), then it's different.

Honestly, if UWM had played Nebraska during those years (it was clear Nebraska wasn't going anywhere), I would have been happy with either team winning.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back