• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Blue Jay pet, Peeves

Dave Feit

Recruit
10 Year Member
Okay - I need to vent, and this seems like a good place to do so. There is this guy I know who is a Creighton fan (and since my HuskerMax account does not hide me behind a cloak of anonymity, I'm going to avoid being too specific about who this fan is and how I know him), who is typically a good person that I really like, and have liked for as long as I've known him. This particular Jay fan is (rightfully) enjoying being apart of another good season of CU hoops. Good for him and good for CU - Altman build a good program, they have a good coach in McDermott, and little McDermott is a heckuva player.

The thing that is annoying me is a Facebook comment this particular Jay fan made in celebration of CU's win tonight: "Nebraskan by birth...Bluejay by choice."

Statements like that drive me up a wall - especially when the people who make them "choose" to be something other than Bluejays during the fall. I have a real distaste for the "diehard" Creighton basketball (and/or baseball) fans who spend August through January rooting for the Huskers. Be the biggest and bluest Creighton fan you want to be, but when you back the Big Red during football season, you come across to me like a person who cherry-picks their teams based upon their success which is weak and annoying. I'd rather suffer through another 15 years of horrible Nebraska basketball than be the type of fan whose loyalties are based upon convenience and success.

And yes, I would still feel this way if Nebraska were 20-8, and a lock for the NCAAs.

You being from Lincoln may not understand the dynamic.

We ALL have different reasons for rooting for the teams we do. I don't know your friend so I don't know if he's a bandwagon jay fan or not. I don't know if he roots for, against or is indifferent to NU bball or not.

My own story...which I guess I'll repeat annually is this. I've been a NEBRASKA fan in everything since I can remember paying attention to sports. I remember listening to NU basketball games with my dad back in the Cipriano years. I remember specifically looking forward to listening to a K-State NU game back then. Additionally around 1979 or 1980 my dad bought season tickets to Creighton basketball. That makes me about 10 at the time. From then on I went to every CU game. You can't do that and not become a huge fan. Been through Apke, Willis Reed, Tony Barone, Rick Johnson, Altman and now McDermott. Seen the best of the best for CU and the worst of the worst (Johnson years!)

I love CU bball because it's NOT "big time" basketball. By "big time" I mean in the Basketball Factory sense. It's usually guys who aren't good enough to get the big offers but on occasion become great...Rodney Buford, Kyle Korver, Anthony Tolliver, Ryan Sears, Ben Walker, Nate Funk, Doug McDermott, etc. It's fun to watch a guy go from being truly AWFUL like Tolliver was as a sophomore (Kid literally couldn't catch an entry pass) to where his is now...in the NBA making $2M this year. A guy like Korver who, as a frosh, you thought "this kid can shoot...should have a nice career" to being an all-american and 10 year NBA veteran. I know they aren't Duke. I know they never will be. But given the right circumstances maybe they could take Duke out in the Big Dance! I don't expect Final 4s...ever...but it COULD happen and what a great story that would be. I know they'll never win a national title. And I know they'll never recruit a monster like Kevin Durant or Harrison Barnes.

Yet, I'm still root like crazy for the Huskers on Saturday. Always have. Always will.

And YES I do root for NU basketball. But NU basketball has been wildly frustrating for the last 12-15 years. I want to be excited about the possibilities. But right now, as long as Doc Sadler is the coach there ARE NO possibilities. I WANT them to hire the next great coach and get the players necessary to compete with the big boys. Like CU they will never be Duke. But their ceiling IS higher than CU's. They could be a Duke for a season or two. They could make a final 4 and not be a "fluke" in doing so. They could win a national title. I'll always root for CU when they play. There's never going to be a season where NU couldn't overcome such a loss.

So am I a hated "Jay-sker"? Maybe. I couldn't give a rat's arse if people don't like it. I don't root for who I root for based on what other people think is proper fandom. Trust me, Creighton alums/fans who have no reason to like NU mock "jay-skers" as much as you do. And I don't care what they think either. Most of them were probably filling up diapers when Rick Johnson was gutting the program so I earned my stripes! :) Fortunately, I was off to college for most of that time.

For what it's worth I don't wear team gear so, no...I don't have to have a drawer for each. :)

By the way...UNL graduate. Boy, I must be the most distasteful breed of Jaysker! :Biggrin:

Last edited:
Regarding CU fans and their "obnoxiousness". It's funny how fan bases see each other. Because the "other" fan base is ALWAYS a bunch of obnoxious jerks. NU football fans hate KSU, CU, Iowa, Missouri, etc. fan bases. And NU fan is not that well thought of in those circles. But how could that be? We're the best...just ask us! :)

When you are passionate about your team the passion of another fan for his team WILL seem obnoxious...especially if they compete against each other.

Last edited:
And why let that bother you at all really? Who really cares who your friends root for or why?

Blisker has said it well.

There's nothing wrong with your friend's choice, though he maybe should be less in your face about it. Sort of rude.

I grew up loving Nebraska football. My first recollection is our Sun Bowl win over Georgia. Anybody who questions my cred as a Nebraska football fan can wipe my tears from 40+ years of tough losses and clean up 40+ years of spilled beers cheering for wins.

But I lived very close to downtown Omaha and was way more exposed to Creighton basketball. Rooting for the Bluejays in basketball was much more natural for me than rooting for Nebraska.

My take on college baseball is further skewed, and will likely upset some Nebraska baseball fans. I also grew up close enough to Rosenblatt to ride my bike to CWS games and get in for free, before the big crowds ever showed up at the CWS.

I have no affinity for either Creighton or Nebraska baseball. I like to see them both get into the CWS (though Nebraska fans annoy me a bit because they buy up tickets and then leave the stadium when their team loses). My affinity is more towards the CWS and college baseball in general. I enjoy that experience.

Being a Nebraska football fan does not automatically translate to being a fan of NU baseball, basketball or anything else. They're not the same.

Last edited:
Okay - I need to vent, and this seems like a good place to do so. There is this guy I know who is a Creighton fan (and since my HuskerMax account does not hide me behind a cloak of anonymity, I'm going to avoid being too specific about who this fan is and how I know him), who is typically a good person that I really like, and have liked for as long as I've known him. This particular Jay fan is (rightfully) enjoying being apart of another good season of CU hoops. Good for him and good for CU - Altman build a good program, they have a good coach in McDermott, and little McDermott is a heckuva player.

The thing that is annoying me is a Facebook comment this particular Jay fan made in celebration of CU's win tonight: "Nebraskan by birth...Bluejay by choice."

Statements like that drive me up a wall - especially when the people who make them "choose" to be something other than Bluejays during the fall. I have a real distaste for the "diehard" Creighton basketball (and/or baseball) fans who spend August through January rooting for the Huskers. Be the biggest and bluest Creighton fan you want to be, but when you back the Big Red during football season, you come across to me like a person who cherry-picks their teams based upon their success which is weak and annoying. I'd rather suffer through another 15 years of horrible Nebraska basketball than be the type of fan whose loyalties are based upon convenience and success.

And yes, I would still feel this way if Nebraska were 20-8, and a lock for the NCAAs.

Excellent post! Creighton wears whatever's convenient each week. You should of seen them wearing Oregon Duck gear when NU played Oregon earlier in the year. They look bad enough when they show up in their lil blue sweatervests at Devaney, confused as to what's going on down on the basketball floor because they don't watch many games without the benefit of being in a drunken haze.

Creighton fans are one of the biggest jokes in all of sports.

Sadly, they feel it's Ok to flood boards where Nebraska basketball fans try to share their concerns with each other like anybody cares what a bluejay fan has to say about our program.

Their "floating" rooting interests disqualify the legitimacy of anything they have to say in regards to basketball.

Last edited:

Excellent post! Creighton wears whatever's convenient each week. You should of seen them wearing Oregon Duck gear when NU played Oregon earlier in the year. They look bad enough when they show up in their lil blue sweatervests at Devaney, confused as to what's going on down on the basketball floor because they don't watch many games without the benefit of being in a drunken haze.

Sadly, they feel it's Ok to flood boards where Nebraska basketball fans try to share their concerns with each other like anybody cares what a bluejay fan has to say about our program.

Their "floating" rooting interests disqualify the legitimacy of anything they have to say in regards to basketball.

While Felt's post was, in fact, excellent, yours is not.

Actually fRed, it sounds like these fans are core husker fans who wear whatever colors during the week.

So sad, another Husker fan with nothing to talk about in late February besides desparaging Jays fans, and the impending coaching change.

Much like I pity HWJ, I pity you also.

confused as to what's going on down on the basketball floor

I think the confusion stems from the product being labeled as "basketball", when it fact, it looks more like what I left in the toilet after a heavy night of drinking.

I was born in Omaha, raised in South O, and went to Creighton for grad school.

I've been going to Creighton basketball games and Husker football games long before I ever went to a Husker basketball game.

In fact, I was at the 1991 CWS cheering on the Jays long before Nebraska ever thought about playing baseball.

I also hold CWS season tix, and each year I pick out a team to root for.

And this may shock some, I root for UNO hockey and Bellevue Bruins baseball.

So my "floating" interest is limited to the local teams (unlike some, err fRed, whose "floating" interest is with whoever plays Creighton that week)

Somebody should have warned me to put on my boots before I stepped in this.

Last edited:

What are the feelings about Howard Hawks, whom Hawks field is named for?

He shows up to CU-NU games wearing a half Husker-half Bluejay jacket.

Should we petition Tom Osborne to rename Hawks field and demand TO refunds back all the money Howard has given UNL?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back