• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Biggest Concern Is....

DedRed

Recruit
2 Year Member
....that Riley had to try his old friends out at NU before going and getting slam dunk guys like Diaco, Williams and Parrella. Maybe there were other reasons for that, but I can't think of good ones off the top of my head.

He was hired early enough that a rockstar top shelf staff (which he's seems to be assembling now) would have been possible.

I like where we seem to be headed now. Just worried that it's two years later than it needed to be, and I don't like what that implies about Riley's decision making ability long term. I may be overthinking it.

Yeah, you're overthinking this. No such thing as slam dunk guys. Putting coaches on pedestals before they've accomplished much, imo.

It's a valid concern, but he hired guys he trusted, guys had worked with for 20+ years. I'd be far more concerned if he pulled a Solich, Callahan, or Pelini and kept guys who were clearly not working out. Frank figured it out and got a top shelf defensive mind, but he did it a year late. I won't open the can of worms over the merits of his termination. But that's the fact, the previous staffs failed to make the tough decisions MR just made.

All coaching hires are gambles. Let's hope these work out.

Yeah, you're overthinking this. No such thing as slam dunk guys. Putting coaches on pedestals before they've accomplished much, imo.

I don't think it's much of a stretch to compare Diacos body of DC work to Bankers and make the claim that Diaco is a slam dunk DC hire and that Banker is/was.......not. Just by the numbers, I mean.

Diaco may very well flame out worse than Banker, but apples to apples, there are a ton more reasons to be optimistic beforehand about Diaco than there ever were for Banker.

....that Riley had to try his old friends out at NU before going and getting slam dunk guys like Diaco, Williams and Parrella. Maybe there were other reasons for that, but I can't think of good ones off the top of my head.

He was hired early enough that a rockstar top shelf staff (which he's seems to be assembling now) would have been possible.

I like where we seem to be headed now. Just worried that it's two years later than it needed to be, and I don't like what that implies about Riley's decision making ability long term. I may be overthinking it.
I brought this up in another thread... but it's tough to get everyone you want/need right out the gate. Thinking that Riley was coming off some not so great performances at Oregon State, it is easy to see how some coordinators may not have been fully on board. Now that he's shown improvement, guys like Diaco are in the mix. I think WR Coach Williams, Langsdorf, Bray, those were all good hires, but it takes some time to piece things together.

Make the change with people you are comfortable with and piece together what you find out you need since the B1G is so much different than the Pac12. As long as there is improvement, you are fine.

After you adjust for talent Diaco's numbers aren't a slam dunk. He might be a step up, but we'll have to wait and see. After ND recruiting numbers before and after Diaco were posted in another thread, I have become less enthusiastic. There's still reason for optimism, though. Let's see what happens.

I brought this up in another thread... but it's tough to get everyone you want/need right out the gate. Thinking that Riley was coming off some not so great performances at Oregon State, it is easy to see how some coordinators may not have been fully on board. Now that he's shown improvement, guys like Diaco are in the mix. I think WR Coach Williams, Langsdorf, Bray, those were all good hires, but it takes some time to piece things together.

Make the change with people you are comfortable with and piece together what you find out you need since the B1G is so much different than the Pac12. As long as there is improvement, you are fine.
Best logic I've heard. I've wondered the same thing, figured it was more loyalty....see what you can do with more resources. But convincing big time coordinators to take a chance on him after some of the OSU results makes a lot of sense.

Your post failed within 1 sentence. Congratulations on that.

"Slam dunk guys" and John Parella don't belong in the same sentence. He had VERY limited experience as a DL coach. If not for his history as a Husker he would not be coaching in lincoln. While I like that hire it's miles from "slam dunk".

Your 3rd sentence is a massive fail as well.

Overall your post was pretty much a failure and a waste of time for everyone who read it.

Read more. Post less.

Last edited:

If we get were we need to be and it is ONLY a two year delay, I am ok with that.

After you adjust for talent Diaco's numbers aren't a slam dunk. He might be a step up, but we'll have to wait and see. After ND recruiting numbers before and after Diaco were posted in another thread, I have become less enthusiastic. There's still reason for optimism, though. Let's see what happens.
We could "adjust for recruiting" with just about every big name coach out there too.

Adjusted for recruiting Saban and Meyer might be mediocre.

We could "adjust for recruiting" with just about every big name coach out there too.

Adjusted for recruiting Saban and Meyer might be mediocre.
Like, three 6 win seasons, one 7 win season, and one 9 win season for Saban at Michigan State?
Who knew talent made a difference....

Best logic I've heard. I've wondered the same thing, figured it was more loyalty....see what you can do with more resources. But convincing big time coordinators to take a chance on him after some of the OSU results makes a lot of sense.
I've also said that I think Riley is finding out things that were Oregon State problems and things that were personnel issues. If the same problems you were having at Oregon state keep bucking their head at Nebraska (think closing on recruits) then you probably need to make a change.

I think that the time frame when he was hired did not allow for searching out the "right" people, let alone those whom some might label slam dunks (they usually already have jobs) so he went with what he knew. To try to assemble a staff in the middle of the tail end of recruiting season when he didn't know the staff in place would have been devastating to that class. He would have been sitting in Lincoln alone trying to figure things out and no good idea what the players were like. Remember this all happened very quickly. So going solo with a bunch of strangers would not have been a good way to start. I like what he did. Booting people after just one year would be hard, so the fact that Banker got two years does not surprise me.

Your post failed within 1 sentence. Congratulations on that.

"Slam dunk guys" and John Parella don't belong in the same sentence. He had VERY limited experience as a DL coach. If not for his history as a Husker he would not be coaching in lincoln. While I like that hire it's miles from "slam dunk".

Your 3rd sentence is a massive fail as well.

Overall your post was pretty much a failure and a waste of time for everyone who read it.

Read more. Post less.

This is the first thing I thought of after reading your reply:

42283819.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back