• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked My 16 Team Playoff Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoparHusker

Recruit
10 Year Member
I can't remember all of the different playoff ideas I have seen on this board, so it might parallel some others. I think that you could potentially have a team that would have a seed in teens that could potentially win it all. If a team only had two losses, but say they lost a key player for a couple of games in the middle of the season and that player was back. They might be good enough to win it all, even if they are not seed at the top. I think it would be pretty unlikely that a team ranked outside the top 16 has that great of a chance to make.

So, here is what I would do:
  1. Use the BCS Rankings as is to determine the top 16 teams and the seedings. There is no special preference given to conference champions, so let's say the Big East champ ranks outside the top 16, they don't get a team into the playoffs.
  2. The top 8 seeds would host the first round of the playoffs the weekend after the conference championship games.
  3. The Sunday night after the first round of playoffs would be when all bowl invitations go out.
  4. Now that you are down to 8 teams, your pairings would still be by bracket and would be matched up in the four BCS Bowls, Rose, Orange, Fiesta and Sugar to be played on January 1st or 2nd.
  5. Now you have 4 teams left and you could pick two of the four BCS Bowls to host the semi-finals (would be rotated each year, so the other two bowls would host), which would take place on January 8th or 9th (when current BCS Championship) takes place.
  6. BCS Championship would be one week later and could take place at one of the two BCS Bowls not hosting a semi-final game or could be put out to bid like the Super Bowl.
By having the first round playoffs when you do, it shouldn't negatively effect students studying for finals. You also will protect the current bowl format for those that oppose a playoff for that reason. For administrators worrying about extending the season too long, you will only have four teams that go beyond what the traditional New Years Day format was and only two teams that go beyond what the current Championship game format is.

The only real negative that I see is for the teams making the championship game as it could end up being a 17 game season (12 regular, 1 Conference Championship and 4 playoff games).

I think it would be great to see a playoff and I would love to watch the games.

What say you?

I like your thinking, but believe 16 teams is too many. I would suggest limiting it to no more than eight teams, with those four games being home games for the higher seeds, and then moving into bowl locations. I also think you need to provide preference for conference champions from the "BCS" conferences with a championship game. Otherwise, you create a disincentive regarding conference championship games. Even if you had six conferences creating championship games with auto-playoff status, you would still have two at-large berths, and the BCS Rankings could be used to fill those spots and seed the teams.

So we're still relying on the polls to tell us who gets in. I got it now. The polls aren't good enough to tell us who is #'s 1 thru 4, 8, 10 etc. but they are okay for telling us who gets in the playoffs. Sounds like it might work. **********!!!

NO PLAYOFFS EVER!!!

So we're still relying on the polls to tell us who gets in. I got it now. The polls aren't good enough to tell us who is #'s 1 thru 4, 8, 10 etc. but they are okay for telling us who gets in the playoffs. Sounds like it might work. **********!!!

NO PLAYOFFS EVER!!!

You simply need to understand that the current system is indefensible.

I think everyone deserves the championship and after 10 years we can stop keeping score as well. The kids by then will be used to it.

So, here is what I would do:
  1. Use the BCS Rankings as is to determine the top 16 teams and the seedings. There is no special preference given to conference champions, so let's say the Big East champ ranks outside the top 16, they don't get a team into the playoffs.
What say you?
You lost me right there. The rest doesn't matter once you don't have earned access.

nems supports a 32 team playoff scenario. That should tell you all you need to know.

You lost me right there. The rest doesn't matter once you don't have earned access.

My reasoning behind this is that in looking at the current BCS Standings, the potential Big East Champion, West Virginia, is currently rated 23rd in the BCS Standings. In my opinion, they have not earned the right to play in a 16 team playoff scenario, let alone an 8 team format. It allows for teams from the current non AQ conferences to be able to get in. Maybe you put more weight on Strength of Schedule to keep teams from playing too soft of a schedule and getting in. You have the scenario today where you have three SEC teams that are right there, but only two can get in. I would say that Arkansas would be more qualified for a hypothetical spot in the playoffs that would West Virginia.

NO PLAYOFFS EVER!!!

I can understand the "No Playoffs" sentiment.

If you look back to 1997, that was a perfect scenario right? Michigan and Nebraska share the title? How many of us would have loved, in that situation, to see a +1 format at least? I would have loved to see the two of them go head to head. That would have been a great game. If you look at the BCS format, there probably have been a few times where they really got it right, the rest of the time it is up for debate. By having the 16 team playoff, you eliminate them getting it wrong.

I would love to see OSU play against LSU for the title and they have played well enough to deserve a shot, but most likely it will be a rematch with Alabama and LSU. There is strong sentiment that the SEC is all powerful. In a 16 team playoff, they could prove it. Put Alabama and LSU in opposite brackets, if they finish 1-2 in ratings and let's see where it ends up.

I like your thinking, but believe 16 teams is too many. I would suggest limiting it to no more than eight teams, with those four games being home games for the higher seeds, and then moving into bowl locations. I also think you need to provide preference for conference champions from the "BCS" conferences with a championship game. Otherwise, you create a disincentive regarding conference championship games. Even if you had six conferences creating championship games with auto-playoff status, you would still have two at-large berths, and the BCS Rankings could be used to fill those spots and seed the teams.

I pretty much agree with parts of each plan. Only 8 teams but each AQ conference get's their champ in with the remaining 2 spots to at large teams. This way the regular season is absolutely the most important, and if you slip up like Alabama did this year you still can get in. Then do what Mopar suggested with using the bcs bowls for the games (all four used first round, 2 the second round, and have one bcs bowl each year with the NC game)

The only real negative that I see is for the teams making the championship game as it could end up being a 17 game season (12 regular, 1 Conference Championship and 4 playoff games).

And that is a BIG problem.

I can understand the "No Playoffs" sentiment.

If you look back to 1997, that was a perfect scenario right? Michigan and Nebraska share the title? How many of us would have loved, in that situation, to see a +1 format at least? I would have loved to see the two of them go head to head. That would have been a great game. If you look at the BCS format, there probably have been a few times where they really got it right, the rest of the time it is up for debate. By having the 16 team playoff, you eliminate them getting it wrong.

I would love to see OSU play against LSU for the title and they have played well enough to deserve a shot, but most likely it will be a rematch with Alabama and LSU. There is strong sentiment that the SEC is all powerful. In a 16 team playoff, they could prove it. Put Alabama and LSU in opposite brackets, if they finish 1-2 in ratings and let's see where it ends up.

And I do understand the "For Playoffs Crowd." The thing is I'm against playoffs in DIV 1 and also I don't care for this BCS crap. I'd rather it be like it used to be with just the bowl games and let the polls fall where they may.

I pretty much agree with parts of each plan. Only 8 teams but each AQ conference get's their champ in with the remaining 2 spots to at large teams.

How long before this gets increased to 16, 32, 64?

This way the regular season is absolutely the most important, and if you slip up like Alabama did this year you still can get in. Then do what Mopar suggested with using the bcs bowls for the games (all four used first round, 2 the second round, and have one bcs bowl each year with the NC game)

Which is the way it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back