• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Muddling In The Middle

Creighton has a message board??? I thought BlueJay Cafe went under?

Besides, I love the comment, it was in regards to McDermott not being able to coach, much like some of this thread has become....
Nobody said McDermott can't coach, but he definitely built his reputation through the use of his All-American son. How many of you can honestly state he is NCAA tournament caliber coach? I want to see him get there without his son.

I wonder what he'll do with that all American he plucked from omaha north. or that likely defensive POY he plucked from omaha benson. maybe socal can give miles directions to omaha?

Nobody said McDermott can't coach, but he definitely built his reputation through the use of his All-American son. How many of you can honestly state he is NCAA tournament caliber coach? I want to see him get there without his son.
He did it at UNI. three times. he's on his way to doing it this year and for the foreseeable future...without Doug. but then will you diminish that accomplishment because he got lucky and had a 1 and done player fall in his lap?

5. while losing MO was a death blow to final 4 hopes and conf title hopes CU is actually still a good team. a tourney team. in case you missed it, without mo they beat both Butler and xavier and lost to xavier by 2. granted there were and will still be growing pains when you lose an all American caliber player.but they'll be fine.

4. I'm not holding my breath. but clueless folk like yourself have been signaling the demise of CU basketball for about 15 years now. "Oh yeah? wait til Burford graduates....err Korver.....err Funk...err Doug..." yet it never happens. but yeah winning a league like the big east or big 10 etc. is a huge order. but they'll have their chances. Miles won't.

3. check again. they beat Bama, cincy and UL-Lafayette in Doug's last 3 years. seriously...you doubled down on stupid and lost.

2. sue the man...he was fortunate to have a great player that was his son. but he is a good enough coach to have capitalized on the court AND on the recruiting trail. Derr

1. we shall see. been hearing that for 15 years. I'll give him Watson. that was a great pull by miles. beyond that I haven't seen much.
5. You may not have noticed, but Miles managed to beat Maryland and Purdue before losing his major inside presence to injury.

4. I haven't nor am averring the demise of Creighton basketball. They've always had a national presence and probably will continue to, but calling for the firing of the Nebraska coach by way of comparison is patently stupid. Especially if you understand the difference between these programs, which you may not.

3. My bad, but the. I knew you'd find a way to insult me because they managed to win one more game. You're such a gracious man.

2. Without him yore certainly not bragging up Creightons in this thread. Why not go over to the Creightons thread and gush your brains out?

1. Yes, we shall see. If he's given the time he needs to build a team capable of beating Purdue, Indiana, and Maryland consistently.

He did it at UNI. three times. he's on his way to doing it this year and for the foreseeable future...without Doug. but then will you diminish that accomplishment because he got lucky and had a 1 and done player fall in his lap?
Sure, as soon as you stop trashing Miles.

Sure, as soon as you stop trashing Miles.
I wouldn't say I've "trashed" Miles. But with year 5 winding down to another poor record it's certainly fair to debate whether he's good enough to get the job done at NU. I may question his ability to do so but I've never said anything bad about the guy personally. there's plenty of results to back up my assessment to date.

I wouldn't say I've "trashed" Miles. But with year 5 winding down to another poor record it's certainly fair to debate whether he's good enough to get the job done at NU. I may question his ability to do so but I've never said anything bad about the guy personally. there's plenty of results to back up my assessment to date.
As if your assessment actually matters anymore than anyone else.

Not really sure what you're arguing SoCalRed. By every metric McDermott is better than Miles...wins, NCAA tournament appearances and wins in the tournament, head-to-head meetings, recruiting. By most accounts everybody wants to give Miles another year to see what he can do with this team. I've seen very little trashing of Miles...maybe after losses but you can go on anybodys message board after a loss and they are calling for their coaches head.

I envy the Creighton program. They win, they get the good Omaha guys and they are a fun team to watch play. I sincerely hope Miles is the guy to get us to that point but at this point based on his body of work I have my doubts but am certainly willing to give him a chance.

You could probably make a case that the big 10 doesn't deserve more than 3 or 4. but as long as MSU has a winning record overall and somewhere close to it in conference...they'll get in. probably as a 3 seed. ;)

A lot depends on the overall field of course...and I've heard it isn't a strong field so they'llong find a way to get 6 in I bet.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back