• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Muddling In The Middle

My underlying point was that McDermott inherited a significantly better program than Miles did when looking at their current gigs. McDermott's gig at Iowa State was quite similar to Miles' job at Nebraska in terms of it was their first major conference gig. Miles has rebuilt a few programs from ground zero to decent programs. For whatever reason, he hasn't been able to get Nebraska there. If things don't work out here, maybe he finds a better fit and applies what he learned at Nebraska.
I think it's entirely possible that miles could end up emerging somewhere else.

There always has to be some dimwitted response like this.

Had CU fallen flat post Doug McDermott you'd have an excellent point. But the fact is that they have not...in fact, up until Mo Watson's injury McDermott had put together a team that was 18-1, ranked 7th and had a legit shot at a final 4 run. But duh...I guess having an all american point guard and a lottery pick center diminishes McDermott's role in that too I suppose? And when the 2 4* recruits (and possibly a 5*) show up next year will they diminish McDermott's accomplishments?

Good players ALWAYS make coaches look good. That's kind of the point, no? You gotta get the players. And just as importantly you've got to coach them up and devise a system that best suits the make-up of your team. To me that was McDermott's "genius" with the crew that Doug came in with. For most of McDermott's career his offense had been a slow, plodding, walk it up the court deal. The first year was very mediocre and they ended up in the CBI or CTI or whatever. McDermott decided, in that meaningless tourney, to take the chains off the guys and "let it fly". They started scoring like crazy and he decided that's where he was going with that team and subsequently the entire program. McDermott has implemented an offense that high school kids like to watch and play in. There's no doubt it's helped in recruiting.
You once again solidify your reputation as the rudest jagoff on these threads.

Well, sure. McDermott built the program on his son's prowess, and that has also helped him recruit better players. Better players! I don't care how good you are, if you don't have the players you're not going to win.

Remind me again, how did Creighton do the year after MCDermott graduated? How many NCAA tournament wins did they have during his son's reign; two? Have they managed to win the Big East yet?

McDermott's good. It remains to be seen what he can actually do with only a single star player.

Well, sure. McDermott built the program on his son's prowess, and that has also helped him recruit better players. Better players! I don't care how good you are, if you don't have the players you're not going to win.

Remind me again, how did Creighton do the year after MCDermott graduated? How many NCAA tournament wins did they have during his son's reign; two? Have they managed to win the Big East yet?

McDermott's good. It remains to be seen what he can actually do with only a single star player.
Your not very smart

I would imagine most everybody on this board would change out Miles for McDermott in a heartbeat. Since joining Creighton he will have been to the NCAA's 4 times in 7 years plus an NIT. I'd take that at Nebraska anyday of the week.

Taken from another board:

"Just wait until good players stop falling from the sky, right into McDermott's lap, and then teaching themselves to play good basketball. When that happens, they're totally gonna suck."

Ignorant post of the year. I suppose playing in one of the nations premier basketball conference with only players recruited for the MVC has nothing to do with how Creighton did after Doug left :O O:

Taken from another board:

"Just wait until good players stop falling from the sky, right into McDermott's lap, and then teaching themselves to play good basketball. When that happens, they're totally gonna suck."

That's an asinine comment. There are obviously some moron Nebrasketball fans out there. If you want to start pulling idiot posts from message boards, I'd be happy to do it, Max is going to need some bigger bandwidth though because Creighton message boards are quality cheese. There is a Creighton fan I work with who doesn't even know who Maurice Watson is.

I now address all of the dumb in this post.

1. yes. better players help you win. Miles should look into that theory.

2. the year after Doug graduated. I suppose I should remind you that CU had moved to the big east in Doug's final year. by year two Mac obviously hadn't had much time to transition to a big east caliber roster. so no...a dip wasn't unexpected. people like yourself tried to tell people that CU would DePaul...you were wrong. even today CU still has 3 major contributors that were recruited to the MVC...yet up until Mo's injury they were right in there for winning the conference.

3. they have won 3 tourney games under mac. which is 3 more than the history of NU basketball.

4. no. they haven't won the big east. this, of course, is only year 4 and it's a damn tough league.

5. that last line is particularly dumb. first of all he has achieved with "only a single star player". but the goal is to have more than 1 ya know.

Last edited:

I now address all of the dumb in this post.

1. yes. better players help you win. Miles should look into that theory.

2. the year after Doug graduated. I suppose I should remind you that CU had moved to the big east in Doug's final year. by year two Mac obviously hadn't had much time to transition to a big east caliber roster. so no...a dip wasn't unexpected. people like yourself tried to tell people that CU would DePaul...you were wrong. even today CU still has 3 major contributors that were recruited to the MVC...yet up until Mo's injury they were right in there for winning the conference.

3. they have won 3 tourney games under mac. which is 3 more than the history of NU basketball.

4. no. they haven't won the big east. this, of course, is only year 4 and it's a damn tough league.

5. that last line is particularly dumb. first of all he has achieved with "only a single star player". but the goal is to have more than 1 ya know.
5. Which he apparently does not.

4. Don't hold your breath. It's one thing to dominate the MVC.

3.Actually I believe he's won two, but they sure showed up in the CBI tournament.

2. So basically what you're saying is that he built the team around a player he never had to recruit.

1. If you'd been paying attention you would know the upgrade in talent the last two recruiting cycles. This is a very young team.

Ignorant post of the year. I suppose playing in one of the nations premier basketball conference with only players recruited for the MVC has nothing to do with how Creighton did after Doug left :O O:
Excuse me? You mean McDermott didn't start recruiting Big East type players until they joined the Big East? Golly, then why couldn't he get those players before? Because they were a good program playing in a weak conference, but now that he's been able to lean on his son to produce a tournament team he's been able to attract more BIG EAST talent?

I wonder what Miles might be able to accomplish with an All-American he plucked from his living room?

Excuse me? You mean McDermott didn't start recruiting Big East type players until they joined the Big East? Golly, then why couldn't he get those players before? Because they were a good program playing in a weak conference, but now that he's been able to lean on his son to produce a tournament team he's been able to attract more BIG EAST talent?

I wonder what Miles might be able to accomplish with an All-American he plucked from his living room?
The depth of your ignorance knows no bounds. I should be shocked but I'm not.

That's an asinine comment. There are obviously some moron Nebrasketball fans out there. If you want to start pulling idiot posts from message boards, I'd be happy to do it, Max is going to need some bigger bandwidth though because Creighton message boards are quality cheese. There is a Creighton fan I work with who doesn't even know who Maurice Watson is.

Creighton has a message board??? I thought BlueJay Cafe went under?

Besides, I love the comment, it was in regards to McDermott not being able to coach, much like some of this thread has become....

3.Actually I believe he's won two, but they sure showed up in the CBI tournament.

2. So basically what you're saying is that he built the team around a player he never had to recruit.

1. If you'd been paying attention you would know the upgrade in talent the last two recruiting cycles. This is a very young team.

5. while losing MO was a death blow to final 4 hopes and conf title hopes CU is actually still a good team. a tourney team. in case you missed it, without mo they beat both Butler and xavier and lost to xavier by 2. granted there were and will still be growing pains when you lose an all American caliber player.but they'll be fine.

4. I'm not holding my breath. but clueless folk like yourself have been signaling the demise of CU basketball for about 15 years now. "Oh yeah? wait til Burford graduates....err Korver.....err Funk...err Doug..." yet it never happens. but yeah winning a league like the big east or big 10 etc. is a huge order. but they'll have their chances. Miles won't.

3. check again. they beat Bama, cincy and UL-Lafayette in Doug's last 3 years. seriously...you doubled down on stupid and lost.

2. sue the man...he was fortunate to have a great player that was his son. but he is a good enough coach to have capitalized on the court AND on the recruiting trail. Derr

1. we shall see. been hearing that for 15 years. I'll give him Watson. that was a great pull by miles. beyond that I haven't seen much.

Last edited:

You mean the All-American with one scholarship offer to Northern Iowa?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back