• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Muddling In The Middle

To a certain extent, if we're not making the NCAA tournament or even the NIT, who cares if we finish 6th, 9th or 11th. Next year either Miles produces as the youth excuse will be gone and if he doesn't then we move on.
Right; give him one year with a more veteran squad, and if they don't win the B1G or make the tournament... Wow, you guys are tough. Historically, this is still one of the worst basketball franchises in college history. That is not the easiest fix there is, and as for Northwestern, they are having the best year they will probably ever have.

Right; give him one year with a more veteran squad, and if they don't win the B1G or make the tournament... Wow, you guys are tough. Historically, this is still one of the worst basketball franchises in college history. That is not the easiest fix there is, and as for Northwestern, they are having the best year they will probably ever have.
I am happy for Northwestern. Hope they get a good seed. But even Nebraska will tell you that doesn't guarantee a win in the tourney.

I like seeing Northwestern do well, too. Chris Collins is my man crush, guy can flat out coach.

Last edited:
We have more NCAA tournament appearances than Northwestern by a ton, yet they hired a coach that now has them 18-5 with people like Jay Bilas saying this is the year they not only make the tournament for the first time, but get a win. I think that's my point with the whole "give Miles one more year" thing. There are plenty of Tim Miles or Fran McCafferey candidates out there with success in lower levels looking to see if they can do it on the national stage, you just have to find the right one. There's also plenty of Coach Collins' out there that are assistants at a big time program like Duke ready to be a head coach. But your Creighton example is another reason i'm troubled, we are getting our doors blown by a team in state that has two kids starting for them we didn't even offer. One now predicted as a lottery pick, from right in our backyard, that Miles didn't even throw his hat in the ring for.

But I listened to Miles yesterday on the radio and he has me willing to give him the 2017-18 year. They got their feet wet first year, then got to the tournament his second year. Had a terrible year his third year so pressed "reset" and tried to get these kids ready for what B1G competition really is so his 2015-16 team didn't do so hot with a ton of freshmen. Now he has Morrow, Gill, and Watson injured with White transferring out, a lot of crappy luck. Honestly, if this was any mens sport at Nebraska besides basketball that would be just a ton of excuses for me and wouldn't cut it. But he finished with "I do think we have the foundation now for long term success and not just every few years, when we get healthy." The Georgetown transfer, Miami transfer, Nana Akenten, should all bolster our team for next year and I think we deserve to let him see what he's made of, especially with how Jordy has progressed. He needs a tournament team in 2017-18 in my opinion.

The real question is, do we extend his contract after this season if we finish 10th or lower? I think you have to so that you can recruit the kids you want for the 2018 class because all of a sudden Morrow, Watson, Jacobsen are going to be juniors. We didn't extend him after this past year so he's due.

This is a good post ***, lots to agree with here. You and I must have listened to the same interview.

Yes, I think you extend the contract next year, establish the expectation, and deal with the repercussions should the season not meet a minimum standard.

Fixed it for you:
Be honest with yourselves; if you're a high school phenom in Nebraska are you more likely to go to Creighton and play for McDermott or DONU and play for Tim Miles? If you live outside the state, and you have your choice of college programs to play at, is your first thought playing for Tim Miles at Nebraska?

I hope I am wrong, but I can't see Nebraska being much better than about 1 or 2 games over .500 next year, not even knowing what our schedule is. As I said, I hope I'm wrong and we play for the B1G Title.

Do I think McDermott is a great coach? No, but I'm not sure he's that much better than Miles. It certainly helps your reputation if your son is one of the best players in the sport.

Do I think McDermott is a great coach? No, but I'm not sure he's that much better than Miles. It certainly helps your reputation if your son is one of the best players in the sport.

Lol, who developed his son, who had his only schollie offer at UNI (not even dad was offering at Iowa State). Say what you want about McDermott, but in 3 years in the Big East, he completely retooled Creightons roster and now they are still competing without their point-guard.

Funny, but for McDermott not being "that much better then Miles", McDermott has yet to lose to him at Wayne State, UNI, Iowa State, and now Creighton (something like 15-0 I think)

Last edited:

I didn't say anything about having to win the B1G. I'm talking making the NCAA's or at the bare minimum NIT. I don't think making the tournament once every 3-4 years is out of line. If that's being tough so be it.

McDermott is a better coach although Miles might be a better ground-up program builder. While McDermott is a great fit at Creighton, I'm not sure he'd have done a whole lot better at Nebraska without his son. That's just speculation based off his time at Iowa State. I think our current team would be significantly better coached offensively with McDermott.

If I was a good all-around offensive player who could fill the net, I'd currently want to play at Creighton. If I was a slasher who could finish at the rim, I'd want to play for Miles. Defensively, I think Miles is a better coach although sometimes I wonder with our 3 point defense. Some of that is decisions we make defensively though. I question the defensive effort of Creighton's players too much.

There always has to be some dimwitted response like this.

Had CU fallen flat post Doug McDermott you'd have an excellent point. But the fact is that they have not...in fact, up until Mo Watson's injury McDermott had put together a team that was 18-1, ranked 7th and had a legit shot at a final 4 run. But duh...I guess having an all american point guard and a lottery pick center diminishes McDermott's role in that too I suppose? And when the 2 4* recruits (and possibly a 5*) show up next year will they diminish McDermott's accomplishments?

Good players ALWAYS make coaches look good. That's kind of the point, no? You gotta get the players. And just as importantly you've got to coach them up and devise a system that best suits the make-up of your team. To me that was McDermott's "genius" with the crew that Doug came in with. For most of McDermott's career his offense had been a slow, plodding, walk it up the court deal. The first year was very mediocre and they ended up in the CBI or CTI or whatever. McDermott decided, in that meaningless tourney, to take the chains off the guys and "let it fly". They started scoring like crazy and he decided that's where he was going with that team and subsequently the entire program. McDermott has implemented an offense that high school kids like to watch and play in. There's no doubt it's helped in recruiting.

McDermott is a better coach although Miles might be a better ground-up program builder. While McDermott is a great fit at Creighton, I'm not sure he'd have done a whole lot better at Nebraska without his son. That's just speculation based off his time at Iowa State. I think our current team would be significantly better coached offensively with McDermott.

If I was a good all-around offensive player who could fill the net, I'd currently want to play at Creighton. If I was a slasher who could finish at the rim, I'd want to play for Miles. Defensively, I think Miles is a better coach although sometimes I wonder with our 3 point defense. Some of that is decisions we make defensively though. I question the defensive effort of Creighton's players too much.

I've said it before that you can't just look at Mcdermott's experience at ISU and extrapolate to the end of time at how he'd do at a Big 10 or Big 12 school. He learned some hard lessons about culture/player fit at ISU....those are his words. I think a lot of times Mid Major coaches get their shot at a power conference and make 1 of 2 mistakes. They either think the system they ran at Butler or UNI would work with similar players at the power school because...heck, we beat them in the dance with it! Or they think "well, now that I can recruit with the big boys I'm just going to go after every 4 or 5 star guy I can and fill the roster with a bunch of ballers"...losing sight of the fact that the player has to fit a concept/culture/etc. I think Mac learned the latter at ISU.

Defensively...it's a trade off. You simply don't find schools that average 85 points a game holding teams to 60. UCLA is giving up 75 points a game. Probably doesn't put them in the elite defensively but they are 21-3 because they score a sh--load of points. Generally, the good defensive teams aren't scoring at a real impressive clip. If McDermott went back to his slow offense roots, all of a sudden they'd look much better defensively.

For what it's worth, NU's defensive FG% is 44.1. CU's is 43.4. PPG NU 71.9 and CU 72.5.

Anyway, a little off track...

I think the general consensus is that Miles should get one more year. There's really not much disagreement.

The disagreement generally comes down to if people actually think Miles is a good coach or not and whether NEXT year's roster will help him show that he is. I come down on the side that says he's not a good enough coach. That's all encompassing...offense, defense, recruiting, in-game, etc. Honestly I'm not sure which of those phases he really excels at.

I've been digging around for 10 minutes and it's hard as hell to find recruiting information about NU basketball. Anyway...nana akenten...I'm having a hard time finding out much about him. Seems to be a bit of an off the radar guy. Doesn't appear to have been evaluated by the services. And there's nothing wrong with off the radar guys. Sometimes they end up being a surprise. But honestly the recruiting has been just OK. Offensively it's been a joke much of the time. Defensively...meh. I mean what has he really done to inspire a lot of confidence that NEXT year it will all be different. But again...he absolutely should get next year. But Eichorst is, no doubt, making a list and checking it twice.

I've said it before that you can't just look at Mcdermott's experience at ISU and extrapolate to the end of time at how he'd do at a Big 10 or Big 12 school. He learned some hard lessons about culture/player fit at ISU....those are his words. I think a lot of times Mid Major coaches get their shot at a power conference and make 1 of 2 mistakes. They either think the system they ran at Butler or UNI would work with similar players at the power school because...heck, we beat them in the dance with it! Or they think "well, now that I can recruit with the big boys I'm just going to go after every 4 or 5 star guy I can and fill the roster with a bunch of ballers"...losing sight of the fact that the player has to fit a concept/culture/etc. I think Mac learned the latter at ISU.

Defensively...it's a trade off. You simply don't find schools that average 85 points a game holding teams to 60. UCLA is giving up 75 points a game. Probably doesn't put them in the elite defensively but they are 21-3 because they score a sh--load of points. Generally, the good defensive teams aren't scoring at a real impressive clip. If McDermott went back to his slow offense roots, all of a sudden they'd look much better defensively.

For what it's worth, NU's defensive FG% is 44.1. CU's is 43.4. PPG NU 71.9 and CU 72.5.

My underlying point was that McDermott inherited a significantly better program than Miles did when looking at their current gigs. McDermott's gig at Iowa State was quite similar to Miles' job at Nebraska in terms of it was their first major conference gig. Miles has rebuilt a few programs from ground zero to decent programs. For whatever reason, he hasn't been able to get Nebraska there. If things don't work out here, maybe he finds a better fit and applies what he learned at Nebraska.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back