• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mount Rushmore of Music

True. I tend to undervalue country musicians as a whole. Some are extremely talented though, Brad Paisley (although his music is just okay) is one of the best guitar players on the planet and the Zac Brown Band...just extremely good. There are some women in country that have crazy good vocals. I've seen Garth twice, one live and once in Las Vegas, where he just sat on a chair, talked about why and how he wrote all of his hit songs, and talked about his life. It was so intimate and spectacular. Not the best singer or guitar player, he's just a great entertainer and his passion for music is unrivaled.

I'm more of a rocker, but I don't mind some country music. That's the beauty of music, it's all subjective. Unless you try to say something as dumb as my 23 year old cousin said the other week, that Blink 182 was the greatest band of all time. Come on now, I like them, I also love Sublime, doesn't make them the greatest of all time.
Great post RD. Music, like any art form is subjective. I grew up listening to country and gospel because of my parents, but I still recall the first time I heard Led Zeppelin, then discovered Jimi..... Great stuff indeed.

“Music is my religion.”

Jimi Hendrix

Should I be surprised that U2 has not shown up on anyone's list?

I like U2, I wouldn't put them in my top 4 all time, but I would probably put them in my top 15. I like them a lot more when I was a kid. I first heard them at 17 in 1983. Went out and bought the War album right after I saw the video for New Years Day.

Right now I would my four as

The Who
The Beatles
Stevie Wonder
Led Zep

In no particular order.

True. I tend to undervalue country musicians as a whole. Some are extremely talented though, Brad Paisley (although his music is just okay) is one of the best guitar players on the planet and the Zac Brown Band...just extremely good. There are some women in country that have crazy good vocals. I've seen Garth twice, one live and once in Las Vegas, where he just sat on a chair, talked about why and how he wrote all of his hit songs, and talked about his life. It was so intimate and spectacular. Not the best singer or guitar player, he's just a great entertainer and his passion for music is unrivaled.

I'm more of a rocker, but I don't mind some country music. That's the beauty of music, it's all subjective. Unless you try to say something as dumb as my 23 year old cousin said the other week, that Blink 182 was the greatest band of all time. Come on now, I like them, I also love Sublime, doesn't make them the greatest of all time.

the Zac Brown Band is really good. Not a big country fan, but took my wife to see them, she lives on the dark side. They were very good did a great cover of Sweet Child of Mine. Patsy Cline had a beautiful voice. I never got the unquestionable love for Johnny Cash by people.

Not a fan of of U2, I don't know anyone else that is either,
They just suck.

Yeah, it just occurred to me as I was reading through everyone's list that no one had mentioned U2 (yet)...a band that has been around forever with great success and legions of fans (at least I assume legions). They do seem to be polarizing and I wonder if it is more a dislike for Bono and his politics and less about the music itself. I don't know.....at any rate, 4 choices is tough... there are so many greats....

Yeah, it just occurred to me as I was reading through everyone's list that no one had mentioned U2 (yet)...a band that has been around forever with great success and legions of fans (at least I assume legions). They do seem to be polarizing and I wonder if it is more a dislike for Bono and his politics and less about the music itself. I don't know.....at any rate, 4 choices is tough... there are so many greats....

Most people I encounter that really dislike U2 it is more to do with Bono being a self absorbed wanker than anything else. I guess I try not to pay a lot of attention to the politics spewed by celebrities in general. I find Bono to be less of a self absorbed wanker than Eddie Vedder, or Micheal Stipe.

I have seen U2 live once and they were an incredibly tight band and put on a great show.

Last edited:
I never got the unquestionable love for Johnny Cash by people.
tumblr_nsu3yi9vL21uqhwpso1_500.gif

Most people I encounter that really dislike U2 it is more to do with Bono being a self absorbed wanker than anything else. I guess I try not to pay a lot of attention to the politics spewed by celebrities in general. I find Bono to be less of a self absorbed wanker than Eddie Vedder, or Micheal Stipe.

I have seen U2 live once and they were an incredibly tight band and put on a great show.
Never cared for U2. Once won tickets to their concert at Sun Devil Stadium and a buddy of mine went only to see Rage Against the Machine open and then left. That said, I know many huge U2 fans.

Some musical artists are also poets and influence as much through their words as their music. My top 4 with this in mind would be:

Bob Dylan
John Lennon
Paul Simon
Billy Joel

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back