• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Most memorable Husker pass play

The Missouri Flea-kicker. Been watching for sixty plus and it immediately came to mind. Johnny's biggest plays all seemed to be returns. I liked Westerkamps behind-the-back catch too.

Johnny's biggest plays all seemed to be returns.

Not so fast my friend. Bob Devaney's final game as a HC was a 40-6 thrashing of Notre Dame in the 1973 Orange Bowl. It was Johnny Rodger's final collegiate game. Surely you remember this Johnny Rodger's pass play from that game...

Last edited:
Don't see how anything other than the Davison flea kicker can be the choice. Lots of others came to mind, most already mentioned here, but I have to go with the 1997 flea kicker at Mizzou.

What??!! Has everyone forgotten Harris Andrews to Bill Callihan for the win against Minnesota in 1937? :)

https://www.huskermax.com/games/1937/01minnesota37.html

The Gophers were defending national champs and probably would have been ranked No. 1, but back in those days AP's first poll of the season didn't come out until later.

01callihan_TD_catch.jpg

This topic is way too subjective. No way to determine the best pass play objectively.

My list, in no particular order:

1. Westerkamp behind the back catch
2. Kellogg to Westerkamp Hail Mary
3. Frost to Davison via Wiggins' foot
4. Crouch's Black Flash Heisman moment
5. Brandon Reilly pushed/not pushed out at Michigan State.

This topic is way too subjective. No way to determine the best pass play objectively.

Thread is not about the best pass play, it is about the most memorable. There was nothing spectacular about JR's 10-yard reception in 1971, but it came at such a critical time in such a critical game, that it stands out in my memory over all others.

The pass play that stands out the most in each person's memory does not have to be a great pass play.

Last edited:
Easy, Scott Frost to Shevin Wiggins foot AKA the Flea Kicker.

C

I tend to agree with your statement and your list, I would add, the 99 yarder against Gerogia, and the sadly failed 2 pt. attempt against the 'Canes in the '84 Orange Bowl.

Thread is not about the best pass play, it is about the most memorable. There was nothing spectacular about JR's 10-yard reception in 1971, but it came at such a critical time in such a critical game, that it stands out in my memory over all others.

The pass play that stands out the most in each person's memory does not have to be a great pass play.
Based off of the bold, for me, I'd have to go with the Flea-Kicker. I was on break at work, watching in the dining room, and was supposed to be back at work, but I just couldn't tear away from the game. After they ruled that that was indeed a catch and the game winner, I essentially floated back to work, not even sure if my feet ever really touched the ground. Funny thing is, no one seemed to notice that I was late, haha....

Based off of the bold, for me, I'd have to go with the Flea-Kicker. I was on break at work, watching in the dining room, and was supposed to be back at work, but I just couldn't tear away from the game. After they ruled that that was indeed a catch and the game winner, I essentially floated back to work, not even sure if my feet ever really touched the ground. Funny thing is, no one seemed to notice that I was late, haha....

The flea-kicker was not a game winner. We were still behind Missouri by a point after that catch. We converted the extra point and then beat Missouri in overtime.

The flea-kicker was not a game winner. We were still behind Missouri by a point after that catch. We converted the extra point and then beat Missouri in overtime.
Yeah, you are right about that, my bad. I stayed late on my break into OT. It was the play that kept us from losing.

Don't see how anything other than the Davison flea kicker can be the choice. Lots of others came to mind, most already mentioned here, but I have to go with the 1997 flea kicker at Mizzou.
The Frazier 2 point conversion pass got NU even late, and won it a National Championship. Very high stakes. Missouri, while important, was game 8, in the regular season. No idea how that plays out should NU have lost. This game was for the National Championship.

Last edited:
The Frazier 2 point conversion pass got NU even late, and won it a National Championship. Very high stakes. Missouri, while important, was game 8, in the regular season. No idea how that plays out should NU have lost. This game was for the National Championship.
We lose that game to Mizzery, we don't go to the NC game, so indirectly, it helped us stay undefeated and on our way to the title. It was memorable in more than one way to say the least.

The Frazier 2 point conversion pass got NU even late, and won it a National Championship.

Good example of a memorable pass play that was not necessarily a great pass play. It was an important pass play for sure, and one that I remember quite well.

Last edited:

Not so fast my friend. Bob Devaney's final game as a HC was a 40-6 thrashing of Notre Dame in the 1973 Orange Bowl. It was Johnny Rodger's final collegiate game. Surely you remember this Johnny Rodger's pass play from that game...

Wasn't quite what I meant. And I had forgotten it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back