• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Most memorable Husker pass play

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
Traditionally, UNL has relied on the running game. Nearly all of the great UNL offensive plays I recall were running plays by QBs and RBs and punt returns by JR.

With the offense shifting to a more pass oriented attack, I tried to recall the most memorable UNL pass play I ever witnessed. Westerkamp's behind the back catch is one of them but the top one for me happened on UNL's final drive against OU in the 1971 game of the century.

It was 3rd and 8 or 9 at midfield on our final drive. We were behind 31-28. Jerry Tagge avoided a swift pass rush, rolled out, and threw to JR for a first down to keep the drive alive. Without that play, UNL probably punts and OU runs out the clock to win the game.

That play is discussed and shown at the 2:50 mark of this video.

Last edited:

Easy, Scott Frost to Shevin Wiggins foot AKA the Flea Kicker.
C

Yes, I guess that qualifies as a pass play, even though it included a kick.

Another one that comes to mind is the 9-yard TD pass from Zac Taylor to Maurice Purify to beat A&M 28-27 at College Station with 21 seconds left (2006). It was the conclusion of a dramatic final drive.

Last edited:
Insignificant game but the Ron Kellogg Hail Mary is on the list of memorable passing plays. At least recently.

recent memory big catches

and this one

Neither were as big as the ones you all named but they were great catches. As for the original question I think the Flea kicker takes the cake.
Oh one more though

Frazier to Green against Colorado was the one that sticks with me. Flea-kicker was definitely more important though. @2:30 in the video below:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back