• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Most Intriguing Husker

Voice Of Reason

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Freshman quarterback Adrian Martinez

“Oh my God he’s a fast man,” linebacker Mohamed Barry said after the game. “That’s what y’all seen. I’ve seen it firsthand. You can be right there and he starts bending back, he’ll cut back and go back forward and oh my God, he’s running like 4.3.”

Will he be the guy this year? At least one writer thinks so.

From Hail Varsity.

https://hailvarsity.com/s/3919/the-10-most-intriguing-2018-huskers-no-1-adrian-martinez

The best thing I've seen (judging from the spring game only) from Martinez is that he is quick with his read progression. The video in the article is a nice example. Looks like the TD was to his third receiver.

It's hard to read how QB's are going to play until they've got some mean, nasty dudes chasing them full speed that want to rip their head off. It's a lot different with the QB knowing damn well he isn't getting hit. Hard to tell until we see some live, real play. It will be different when a live game happens.

It's hard to read how QB's are going to play until they've got some mean, nasty dudes chasing them full speed that want to rip their head off. It's a lot different with the QB knowing damn well he isn't getting hit. Hard to tell until we see some live, real play. It will be different when a live game happens.
Gosh...I hope not.

I think we all pretty much agree that AM, is really fast, and talented, but I will wait for SF's official announcement as to who is going to be our starter. I want Gebbia to be the guy, however, if Martinez wins the gig, I'ma roll wit it.

He runs a lot like Eric Crouch imo and seemingly has a better arm. Barry thinks hes running a 4.3 which would make him one of the fastest on the team, like Eric...

I think he should be successful if he is smart with the ball and do some damage to a lot of teams as long as he fully recovers.

Point being you don't know until you know you're gonna get hit and hit hard. That doesn't happen in a spring game when you are hands off and they know it. It's easy when you know you're not getting hit.

IMHO, Adrian Martinez could be become the hardest QB to hit in the Big 10, perhaps in the entire nation. SF knows it and so does Adrian...and the Big 10 will soon find out. Defenses will be forced to assign a spy for him, but it won't matter.

I'd say we got us a 6' 2" 205 pound version of Fran Tarkenton. The next few years are going to be lots of fun for Husker fans like it was for Louisville fans when they had Lamar Jackson.

AM is not only fast, he is also quick and elusive. If he is forced to scramble, his quick first step will be too good for most defenders, to include those guys doing the corner blitz.

Eventually defensive coordinators will realize it is not wise to blitz AM, because he is too dangerous as a broken play runner/passer. They will scheme to contain him. That is about all you can do..but it still won't be enough.

Nebraska has found another QB with Heisman potential...a guy on the same level as Gill, Crouch, and Frazier...and IMO the most talented QB NU has ever had. And whenever NU has had a QB like that, we played for national championships. Greatness is very difficult to deny.

Yes, AM is probably the most intriguing Husker, but I would go further than that. I'd say he is the most valuable and talented Husker on our roster.

I am very glad that NU once again has a HC that loves DT QBs as much as I do. A great DT QB is a nightmare for defensive coordinators and they are fun to watch.

51692989.jpg

Last edited:

FWIW, at one of the ESPN affiliated camps he ran a laser timed 4.79 in the 40. That's better than it probably sounds to a lot of people given he was in HS and it was partially automated. He's not Eric Crouch type of fast but he's obviously plenty fast and athletic for this offense.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back