• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Most Improved Position

Which position improved the most from 2017 to 2018?

• Quarterback

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Running Back

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Wide Receiver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tight End

• Offensive Line

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Defensive Line

• Linebacker (OLB & ILB)

• Defensive Backfield (CB & Safety)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Punter

• Kicker

• Total voters

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
Which position saw the most improvement from 2017 through 2018? Steve Sipple sees Ryan Held as our best assistant coach for 2018. There is a good argument for it.

In 2017 Ozigbo looked pedestrian and in 2018 he looked great. Ozigbo averaged 3.8 ypc in 2017 and 7.0 ypc in 2018. Freshman Mo Washington arrived in the fall and played with great will and determination. He was obviously well coached.

I think we saw improvement at QB, but it was not the same QB showing improvement. It was a new QB with a different skill set in a different offense.

Was there significant improvement within our other position groups? For me it is hard to say, but for sure, I think special teams was a disaster for a while.

Not even close. It’s nice to see an actual athlete at the most important position in college football again.

Normally I would agree, and AM is so amazing. But it was refreshing to watch an offensive line improve as the season went on and actually contribute to a potential running game. Greg Austin is one of my 2-3 favorite coaches on this staff. I can't wait to see what he can do with guys who have another year in this system.

Since the question is "Position", not "Player" - I have to go with Quarterback. Although, I think the offensive line is a close second. They are the reason for some of the improvement of both quarterback and running back.

Not even close imo.... QB!! We went from a QB that was barely adequate to a QB now mentioned as a Heisman candidate....

Since the question is "Position", not "Player" - I have to go with Quarterback. Although, I think the offensive line is a close second. They are the reason for some of the improvement of both quarterback and running back.
I like this distinction - hard to say QB is the most improved spot when the #2 QB didn't look ready when he started.

I think it's RB or Offensive line. DB's are another that got better.

I like this distinction - hard to say QB is the most improved spot when the #2 QB didn't look ready when he started.

There is definitely an argument for RB/OL. Ozigbo went from 3.8 ypc in 2017 to 7.0 ypc this year. Last year our offense averaged 30 rushing attempts per game and averaged 107 rushing yards per game. This year we averaged 38 rushing attempts per game and 209 yards rushing yards per game. That's 3.5 yards per attempt last year versus 5.5 yards per attempt this year, however a lot of that improvement is due to having a running QB.

Comparing the QB play for 2017 to 2018, Lee had minus 97 yards rushing while AM had plus 629 yards rushing. AM completed 64.7% of his passes while Lee completed only 57.5%. Yards per passing attempt were about the same, AM - 7.5 and Lee - 7.3. TD to interception ratio favors AM as well, 17/8 to Lee's 23/16. I think that Lee had more pick 6's as well.

Lee beat AM in total passing yards, 3,143 to 2,617, however Lee had 81 more pass attempts.

Yes, I think DBs got better as well. I suppose there are stats to help verify that, but I don't have them.

Last edited:

It was more like the #3 QB was elevated to #2 when the planned #2 QB bailed on the team days before the first game. NO ONE was talking much about Nebraska until AM got things cranked up and showed just how good he is... and will be next season.

GET TICKETS

Back