• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Most Gut Wrenching Loss vs. Favorite victory

but one that really sticks out in my mind is when myself and one of my sons was at the NU-Miami game, in Lincoln in 2014, and that game sticks out to me as that is the 1st (and really ONLY) time that I have personally seen NU fans boo the other team...and I don't just don't mean for a play or 2 but for a solid game, though it got way more pronounced towards the end.
At the end of the game if I remember clearly, one or more of their players, as they were leaving the field, flipped off the fans and the booing really got loud.

Gut wrenching loss: 2006 Texas
Favorite victory: 1994 Colorado

I was at both of these as well. In 2006 Terrance Nunn fumbling just crushed me, I had a feeling they'd come back for some reason. 1994 Colorado was awesome and the only time I've been on the field. I was only 17 so I wasn't one tearing down the goal posts, but that was a memorable moment for sure. I actually was on TV briefly before a commercial break in that game LOL

Last edited:

Based on general circumstances, some of the toughest losses were Texas Tech 2005 (fumble while returning what would have been a game-clinching interception), Texas 2006 (fumble after what would have been a game-clinching first down catch), Virginia Tech 2009 (busted coverage in the final minute), Iowa State 2019 (8 turnovers), BYU 2014 (lost on a Hail Mary), Illinois 2014 (terrible clock management and a busted coverage in the last minute), and Northwestern 2018 (blew big 4th quarter lead and gave up a 99-yard drive with Les than 2 minutes left).

In the B1G era, some of the most thrilling wins have been Ohio State 2011, Wisconsin 2012, Michigan St. 2012, and Oregon 2016.
Hard to pick a favorite win - too many to choose from. The Hail Mary Northwestern game stands out for me in recent history.

I'm with you on the 2006 game. If LaKevin Smith just falls down or goes out of bounds it's a "W".

A close second is the Iowa State game in Lincoln where we turned the ball over 7 or 8 times and lose by a score of 9-7. That game was pure agony.

Loss: 1982 Penn State. I was at the game and I KNOW the field was not the size and configuration that the referees think it was :(
Win: 1995 Orange Bowl: National Championship game 24-17 over Miami. Last game I watched with my Dad. He died of lung cancer 2 weeks later.....

Last edited by a moderator:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back