• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Moos

The truth is most likely somewhere in the middle. I've been hearing that Moos liked to drink for over a month. I actually just gave the "who doesn't" response to who told me that. Didn't even give it a second thought until all of this came up. Here's what most likely happened. Guy drinks at most booster outings, has some drinks out on the town, so most people only see him and he's got a beer in his hand. He maybe takes it too far one night, and all of a sudden it's an issue.

I'm just glad he's staying. We don't need any more turnover anywhere.

I am glad Moos is staying as well. Agree that no more turnover is needed now... with the exception of men's basketball.

We have a women’s team?

Overlooking the sarcasm...

Yes, and they have potential to make some noise in the next few years. Only 2 seniors and one of those rarely plays. Only 3 juniors, two start and/or play extensively. One of those is the PG Whitish, who I think has taken a step back after getting some all-conference recognition last season. She can make the big shot when needed; but, also seems to try to do too much or make a risky pass when we need to take care of the ball. Freshman center Ashtynn Verbeek (#9 HS PF last season) is going to be a very, very good player in my opinion. Kissinger is the leading three pointer shooter in the B1G. The core of the team is freshmen and sophomores; and, they have a solid PG coming in.

By harder than it needed to be I was referencing my super sneaky way to give away who I was talking about with the capital letters, your intelligence is not in question until you make the mistake of posting in the cafe.
Gotcha. Thanks for the help.

Which is exactly why the next coach needs to be unique. What exactly does a Tim Miles coached team do well that sets it apart from other teams? You look at what Tony Bennett is doing at UVA without a ton of blue chip talent with his pack line defense. Jay Wright at Villanova wasn't outrecruiting Duke or Kentucky, and yet he's won 2 of the last 3 titles. Go after a young, innovative coach and give it a 5 year plan. If the wins happen, increased talent will come. And unlike in football, you only need 1 transformative talent to make a run at something big in basketball.

You are spot on with your take, though don’t kid yourself about those programs not having talent. They might not have 4 one and done players, but they are bringing in talent. The main reason they are beating just about everyone is they are getting to develop the majority of that talent over multiple years.

Why do we see some of the same teams playing in the tournament and doing well, who are not loaded with 5* recruits? Schools like Gonzaga, Nova, Wichita State, Butler, Texas Tech, UVA, those schools have good, but not multiple HS All-American talent. They differentiate themselves by continuity and player development. Don’t misunderstand, the boys from Hickory, Indiana aren’t winning the NC, but you can put a competitive team on the court without a roster full of blue chips. Think of the success of Wiscy, Iowa, Northwestern, MSU or Purdue. Those teams have years they were very competitive, and that is usually because they play outstanding as a team. If you build a program that can just continue the format, keep that level of player development, then in those rare instances you do have that surprise blue chip, or unknown who catches fire, suddenly you can make some noise nationally.

You're right about Innovation. It's key in any sport, especially if you're not on the same playing field, talent-wise. I can't imagine it's terribly common, though.

There's a lot in college basketball. With over 300 D1 teams, there are a lot of small "laboratories" for guys to work on things. And it could be a small tweak to what they learned under another coach. Look at Roy Williams. All of what he learned is from Dean Smith. He just sped it up to almost insane speed because he believes in number of possessions per game. That's why I would want Nebraska to hire someone who learned from a coach like Roy Williams or Rick Pitino (minus the off the court stuff). Speed up the game and run pressure. That can alleviate a lot of talent discrepancies.

Yes and no ... you absolutely need to recruit and motivate but in today's college environment ... Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina are one-and-done factories. Occasionally you have one-and-done's elsewhere ... Indiana, Murray State, Texas but ... the majority of college basketball is still 4 year program. It would be wonderful if NU could find a 1st round one-and-done NBA player but right now it would be better to find guys who are developable in a 3 or 4 year cycle.

Not sure how many past NCAA champions have been of the 4 year developed cycle. Nova certainly haven't been as notorious for one and done as say, UK or Duke.

I guess Nevada and there 5-year seniors will be a possible test case, although i believe many of those players were transfers.

Say it with me, GFOA: Tom Osborne was a below average athletic director that made bad hires.
Ah, yet another gets it. Surprised in you Mort, but that's good...

You are good.gif

Last edited:
Not sure how many past NCAA champions have been of the 4 year developed cycle. Nova certainly haven't been as notorious for one and done as say, UK or Duke.

I guess Nevada and there 5-year seniors will be a possible test case, although i believe many of those players were transfers.

It's certainly dominated by the blue bloods, but in the last 20 years, here are some of the Final Four participants that I don't consider blue bloods:
1998-Utah, Stanford
1999-Ohio State
2000-Florida, Wisconsin
2003-Marquette
2004-Ga Tech, Okie St
2005-Illinois
2006-George Mason, LSU, Florida
2007-Florida, Georgetown
2008-Memphis
2009-Villanova
2010-Butler, WV
2011-Butler, VCU
2012-Ohio St
2013-Wichita St, Michigan
2014-Florida, Wisconsin
2015-Wisconsin
2016-Villanova, Oklahoma
2017-Gonzaga, Oregon, South Carolina
2018-Villanova, Michigan, Loyola

I'm sure there will be disagreement in who I don't label as a blue blood in basketball, but from that list you can see that unlike in college football, you can be a small school or one with little tradition and make a run. There's zero reason that NEbrasketball has been this bad for so long. You don't need 5 one and dones to be good (look at the current #1 team in the country).

It's certainly dominated by the blue bloods, but in the last 20 years, here are some of the Final Four participants that I don't consider blue bloods:
1998-Utah, Stanford
1999-Ohio State
2000-Florida, Wisconsin
2003-Marquette
2004-Ga Tech, Okie St
2005-Illinois
2006-George Mason, LSU, Florida
2007-Florida, Georgetown
2008-Memphis
2009-Villanova
2010-Butler, WV
2011-Butler, VCU
2012-Ohio St
2013-Wichita St, Michigan
2014-Florida, Wisconsin
2015-Wisconsin
2016-Villanova, Oklahoma
2017-Gonzaga, Oregon, South Carolina
2018-Villanova, Michigan, Loyola

I'm sure there will be disagreement in who I don't label as a blue blood in basketball, but from that list you can see that unlike in college football, you can be a small school or one with little tradition and make a run. There's zero reason that NEbrasketball has been this bad for so long. You don't need 5 one and dones to be good (look at the current #1 team in the country).
Cool, a substantive post...now I get it, you're a basketball guy.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back