• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Moos on talent

You do realize that the better players could actually be the ones on the field now, right? The better player could be Wilson, Jaimes, and whomever being better with their feet, quicker in covering more ground, and fully comfortable in the system. Or it could be a JUCO or Grad Transfer, or high schooler who comes in and plays the position as we need it. And he's right in the sense that some of the things like holding are because we aren't physically good enough to make the plays as the players we are today. Another year, and those same guys can be moving the pocket when AM scrambles, instead of just latching on and getting called for holding.

Moos's comments weren't a riddle. He could not have been more explicit - "there is a mismatch in talent." There wasn't some hidden motivational message for back-ups, would-be transfers or high school players.

Lack of talent (especially on D) is evident to anyone paying attention. I just don't think it's something an AD needs to be pontificating about to the press. I felt the same way when Eichorst made similar comments.

I'm not losing any sleep over it though. Moos also made the following remarks, which I think were more helpful. He should have left it here.

“We have a plan, and the plan is solid, it’s just that you can’t do it overnight,” Moos said. “It doesn’t take a season to go from first to worst and it doesn’t take a season to go from worst to first. I’m not saying we were ever first or we were ever the worst, but we’ve got to go from the lower end to the higher end and that’s going to take more than a year.”

All while taking the heat off themselves. Those guys are smart.
agree. the talent issue is always brought up when losing games, whether high school, college etc. usually by parents or fans. but I'd rather those remarks were kept in house, especially with coach's and administrators. Our team has enough talent to win games.If you want to play the blame game start at the top, ad and coach's. But then we'd have a culture of blaming, and that works for nobody.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Moos's comments weren't a riddle. He could not have been more explicit - "there is a mismatch in talent." There wasn't some hidden motivational message for back-ups, would-be transfers or high school players.

Lack of talent (especially on D) is evident to anyone paying attention. I just don't think it's something an AD needs to be pontificating about to the press. I felt the same way when Eichorst made similar comments.

I'm not losing any sleep over it though. Moos also made the following remarks, which I think were more helpful. He should have left it here.

Was Moos asked the question, or did he call some press conference to make these comments? It's an asked and answered. And it's not a question of being a riddle, it's a question of if you interpret this to being a statement that our team as it stands isn't good enough. I guess I'm curious as to what would constitute an acceptable reply to the questions being asked Moos? Is he supposed to decline to answer, and state we don't make comments regarding our teams until the end of the season? Or he thinks the boys are trying their best and we hope we see a better outcome this week? Are we really to the point we can't make an honest statement, after an honest evaluation? Moos is a guy who knows football. I'd put him in a class pretty near Barry Alvarez in understanding what it takes to compete at this level, so his comments shouldn't be seen merely as those of a reactionary fan. If he called out guys by name, that's a problem. But mentioning we are being manhandled, when every person on every sports talk show, be it nationally or regionally, said the same thing, that shouldn't be something we shrink from, it should be something we as fans are glad our folks see it, and they aren't simply suggesting its just being unfamiliar with the offense or defense. We heard that from Mike, and it helped dig the hole we are in.

Was Moos asked the question, or did he call some press conference to make these comments? It's an asked and answered. And it's not a question of being a riddle, it's a question of if you interpret this to being a statement that our team as it stands isn't good enough. I guess I'm curious as to what would constitute an acceptable reply to the questions being asked Moos? Is he supposed to decline to answer, and state we don't make comments regarding our teams until the end of the season? Or he thinks the boys are trying their best and we hope we see a better outcome this week? Are we really to the point we can't make an honest statement, after an honest evaluation? Moos is a guy who knows football. I'd put him in a class pretty near Barry Alvarez in understanding what it takes to compete at this level, so his comments shouldn't be seen merely as those of a reactionary fan. If he called out guys by name, that's a problem. But mentioning we are being manhandled, when every person on every sports talk show, be it nationally or regionally, said the same thing, that shouldn't be something we shrink from, it should be something we as fans are glad our folks see it, and they aren't simply suggesting its just being unfamiliar with the offense or defense. We heard that from Mike, and it helped dig the hole we are in.

You would have exploded if Mike Riley said the issue was talent last year.

You would have exploded if Mike Riley said the issue was talent last year.
Yes I would have, considering he had several years to improve and develop that talent. If he'd said we need more talent at positions critical to the offense during year 1, do you think many of us would have batted an eye? We'd seen TA, and knew that every pass was an adventure.

Last edited:
Yes I would have, considering he had several years to improve that talent. If he'd said we need more talent at positions critical to the offense during year 1, do you think many of us would have batted an eye? We'd seen TA, and knew that every pass was an adventure.
Mike shouldn't say it and SF and Moos shouldn't say it publicly either. No coach or AD should.

So when asked the question, "why do you think Nebraska is struggling," Moos's only option is to say the team is getting "manhandled?" Sorry, that dog don't hunt.

This isn't that difficult. Just say it's year one of a long process and will require development of the current roster and a more depth across the board. Easy peasy....and an honest evaluation.

He actually did that for the most part. He just slipped up with the talent comments. What happened is that Moos dug himself a hole with the "Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh are running a bit scared" shtick in the off season. When you say dumb stuff like that, walking it back usually results in some ill-advised comments.

Last edited:
So when asked the question, "why do you think Nebraska is struggling," Moos's only option is to say the team is getting "manhandled?" Sorry, that dog don't hunt.

This isn't that difficult. Just say it's year one of a long process and will require development of the current roster and a more depth across the board. Easy peasy....and an honest evaluation.

He actually did that for the most part. He just slipped up with the talent comments. What happened is that Moos dug himself a hole with the "Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh are running a bit scared" shtick in the off season. When you say dumb stuff like that, walking it back usually results in some ill-advised comments.

As you said, he did keep his comments fairly vanilla, so it's not like we had a drum and was pounding it saying we are overmatched at every position. He said we got manhandled, is there anything in that comment that isn't accurate? Is it so horrible to hear a coach say that? If my memory is correct, we even heard Osborne make similar comments when we had some of the beatdowns when he was coaching. I think one of the most distraught times I heard him was after the GTech hammering, when he admitted they were by far the better team in every aspect. It's OK to actually admit those things. Players who were on the field getting toyed with know it better than anyone.

Last edited:

As you said, he did keep his comments fairly vanilla, so it's not like we had a drum and was pounding it saying we are overmatched at every position. He said we got manhandled, is there anything in that comment that isn't accurate? Is it so horrible to hear a coach say that? If my memory is correct, we even heard Osborne make similar comments when we had some of the beatdowns when he was coaching. I think one of the most distraught times I heard him was after the GTech hammering, when he admitted they were by far the better team in every aspect. It's OK to actually admit those things. Players who were on the field getting toyed with know it better than anyone.

I don't recall Tom ever saying we lost a game or committed penalties due to a talent mismatch. I think our viewpoints just don't align on this one. No worries.

Big picture, the AD making a few one-offs to the press is the least of this team's worries.

I don't recall Tom ever saying we lost a game or committed penalties due to a talent mismatch. I think our viewpoints just don't align on this one. No worries.

Big picture, the AD making a few one-offs to the press is the least of this team's worries.
You might want to look back to some of the interviews after a couple of his more glaring losses, he was pretty upfront when we were simply unable to compete on those rare occasions.

And I agree we have far bigger fish to fry. Having a healthy, deeper secondary would be my first place to start.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back